Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked the posts, and searched the web, but I can't find any bar risers for my 2000 750SS. I'm not trying to make her a tourer, just a bit more comfortable for my 50 year old body... Anybody out there know of a source for risers specifically for the SS?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've checked the posts, and searched the web, but I can't find any bar risers for my 2000 750SS. I'm not trying to make her a tourer, just a bit more comfortable for my 50 year old body... Anybody out there know of a source for risers specifically for the SS?
Heli used to make them, but I don't see them on their website: http://www.helibars.com/

Maybe they stopped because SS's are no longer produced. Maybe worth a call though. Some dealers may even still have stock. Cycle-cats out of business I think, but they used to make a set too, I believe. You may have to look for used...

·
Registered
207 Posts
The problem you'll probably find with most risers on the SSie's is that there isn't a heck of a lot of room under the edge of the upper fairing. You can't add much rise without your hands, the bars, or controls hitting something.

Another option that slightly raises the bars is getting a set of clipons that has less drop than the stock ones... I used a set of LSL Sport Match ones but there are several out there. I think Speedymoto also makes a set w/ adjustable angle which would help.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Clamps

Save your money and switch your clamps from left to right, this will give a lift and make riding more enjoying for those who have hand problems! It worked for me and I ride for hours now and have no pain in my hands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
7 degree bend

Jpuck91 is correct. The SSie does not allow much in the way of a rise. The fairing is just too tight, and the brake/clutch lines do not have a lot of extra length to work with. The stock bars have a 10 degree bend which is great for a racer, but play havoc on the wrists for a daily driver. I have the Gilles GP Lites (or light) on my 2001 Sport, which have a 7 degree bend. It makes a significant difference for use as a daily commuter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have SMP risers on my 2000 900 SS ie not a lot of rise but it makes all the difference. I commute 35 K's each way with no pain and I feel like it corners sharper too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I should probably mention that I figured out how much clearance the SSie's don't have by trying to install the LSL riser clip-on's, which are a 1.5" rise plus a much flatter 5 degree drop if I remember correctly. Didn't work at all!

The LSL Sport Match clipons are 0 rise, 7 degree drop. Much more comfortable than stock. Plus everything fits with banging into the fairing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bar Risers

Did you use your stock bar with the LSL riser, or go with their bar?

After looking at it, it seems I could take a traditional riser bar of the correct diameter, and cut the middle out of it. That way I'd get the rise through the bend in the bar and it would fit in the existing clamp.

I would probably have to replace the brake lines, but i may just have to make a smaller mount...

Anybody tried this?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bar Riser

Well, swapped the left and right clamps and it did indeed raise the bars to a perfectly comfortable position, but steering lock was so reduced I had no ability to maneuver at slow speed. Sooo, I started playing with it.... I moved the position of the switches and levers, and it was getting better, but still no joy. Then, I noticed those nice little spacers under the clamps. I removed those buggers, remounted everything, and now I've got just about as much steering lock as I did with the stock bars. The rise seems to be much more comfortable now, but I haven't tested it on a good ride yet (it was pissing down rain while I was making all these changes). Today I'll get out for a good romp and see just how nice the new bar position is.... More to come!

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Stock Clamps

Well glad you figured it out on how easy is is to change clamps to get the lift you need to enjoy a day of riding...:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
I used the helis on my 2000 900SS and they barely fit, I moved the resevoir a bit and it has made a HUGE difference. I went all the way to thr Grand Canyon and back and had no wrist issues (1600 miles).

Just be patient and try ebay, they will come soon enough.

Now if I could just come up with a new way to set my pegs a tade lower. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Now if I could just come up with a new way to set my pegs a tade lower. :)
Ducati Performance used to make (may still, don't know...) adjustable rearsets for the SSie's. They work great. Acculign also makes adjustable ones, Motowheels sells them.

Couldn't find a closeup pic of the DP rearsets but you can see them on my bike here...

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
turn ind

Good looking bike ,I like the lights and was glad to see how they look before buying some for my bike. What year front end is that on your bike?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks :D! The front forks & fender are from a 2004 GSXR1000, calipers are from a 2004 ZX6RR (4 piston/4 pad), rotors are Brembo cast iron floaters, wheels are Marchesini magnesium. Matris F05R 25mm cartridges in the forks too. Had a bodyshop fill in the indentations for the stock turn signals so I could use smaller flush-mounts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts