Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I found a wheel weight in my driveway that I'm pretty sure came of of my 996. I haven't noticed shake, but I probably should have them checked. My question is can any tire shop balance my wheels or am I going to have to hit someone that has Ducati specific equipment?

On a side note; I'm thinking about getting my wheels powder coated while I have them off. Any warnings or recommendations?

·
Registered
790 Posts
You probably won't even notice the shake at all heh..
Take it to a motorcycle shop..
No it doesn't have to be a Ducati equipment wheel balancer whatever that is heh..
Most people even do it DIY on a portable balancer. . I would think that a Computerized SnapOn wheel balancer is probably more accurate..

Kinda like this

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
powder

When it comes time for powder coating, just make sure to sample the color you want so it doesn't come out of the oven a shade off.
You might also want to do the sandblasting yourself or use aircraft remover. This will save you a lot of money at the Powder coating place.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Take it to a motorcycle shop..
No it doesn't have to be a Ducati equipment wheel balancer whatever that is heh..
Most people even do it DIY on a portable balancer. . I would think that a Computerized SnapOn wheel balancer is probably more accurate..
Actually, you or a shop will need an adapter hub for the rear 996 wheel. Not every shop will have one, so call before you go.

Computerized balancers aren't necessary at all. A simple gravity balancer works fine on motorcycle wheels (the tire changers in the GP paddock even use them), but a real gravity balancer works better than jackstands because it uses its own bearings, not the bearings in the wheel, so there's less stiction...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, you or a shop will need an adapter hub for the rear 996 wheel.
That's what my concern was.

Thanks for the color tip Kramer. I imagine they'll be able to show me finished colors before I decide. I called a place here in town and he said they have four different shades of red. Pricing wasn't bad either. He said they can soda blast them for $50 to $100 a wheel and coating was about the same. So $200-$400 for new wheels isn't bad comparatively speaking. I'll need to clean the lips up a little from apes mounting tires but still.

And why would I need to remove airplanes from my wheels?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course:) I always forget sarcasm rarely translates well in forums.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I balance my own wheels with the method shown here, a small peice of ductape over the top of the wheels weights keeps mine in check. If you want you can use colored ductape if your worried about the cosmetic thing....
IF your tire installer does his job right, there should be little weight added anyway...
I've installed a few different sets with no weight, could not tell the difference, but I swap out a few sets of tires a year.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
IF your tire installer does his job right, there should be little weight added anyway...
That's actually not true. Wheels can be manufactured out of balance, as can tires. Sometimes there's not much the installer can do beside adding a bunch of weights.

Ducati wheels tend to be pretty good, fortunately. Yamaha is one of the worst offenders. I've put OEM wheels on a balancer without a tire mounted, and the wheel by itself required several ounces of weights to balance out. It's ridiculous...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I go through a rear tire every 3000 miles or so and 5000 for a front, and I stopped balancing them years ago. Half the time, the weights fall off, even with the duct tape trick. I've only had one shake, and then busted it off and remounted it 180 degrees away from the first mount and it went away. And that put the spot opposite the stem, go figure. I rarely hit redline in 6th anymore, so I'll probably never notice anything anyway.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have changed my own motorcycle tires since 1984. I have never balanced them. I have not had an issue. Just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One cost I hadn't taken into consideration was removal and mounting. I knew about the spot/stem thing so I may give it a go myself. I've seen plans on the interwebs for diy bead breakers and such. If worse comes to worse I can always get them ballanced if need be. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's actually not true. Wheels can be manufactured out of balance, as can tires. Sometimes there's not much the installer can do beside adding a bunch of weights.

Ducati wheels tend to be pretty good, fortunately. Yamaha is one of the worst offenders. I've put OEM wheels on a balancer without a tire mounted, and the wheel by itself required several ounces of weights to balance out. It's ridiculous...
Thought we "were" talking about Ducati wheels?
But correct some OTHER manufacturers do have crappy wheels. I've had a few sets of Ducati (forged and cast) wheels, and they have balanced out quite easy with very little weight. My PVM's have been almost perfect with three different brands of tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts