Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the bike back from 15K service. my mechanic (West Coast GP cycles) informed me that I was one of the lucky ones with soft valve guide:
"your shim is elongated, the collet was broken, and the valve is loose in the guide on the rear intake... so your valve guide is on its way out. It's common on this motor. It's all good to ride it for now, but go to your dealer to get this fixed under warranty"...

Ok, I'll go there right now as a matter of fact. My factory warranty expires in 5 days, and although I have a Western extended plan, I know that it may something they only partially cover, so time is of the essence...

step 1:

stopping at a... emm... Ducati Dealer claiming to be locate in Beverly Hills on my way home:
DJ- My Valve Guide is shot. It's under warranty for 5 more days. Can you take it in?
BH- How did you determine that?
DJ- Got my 15K done at GP, they informed me.
BH- yeah... well... I really don't have time right now... I have a 1098 with an open motor.... I mean like in two months maybe...
DJ- I have the Western extended plan...
BH- they'll only cover a portion of it... Sorry dude, can't help you.

WTF???!!!! At this point I am wondering if my next phone call is to Pro-Italia or to DNA for a MAJOR complaint.

Step 2:

I picked calling Pro-Italia...

DJ- I'm a lucky S1K owner with a defective..
PI- ..Gas Tank?
DJ- no, that's already been replaced, thanks. Valve guide. But here's the deal, 5 more days on factory warranty, then Western takes over... (told them WCGPcycles found the problem)
PI- Don't worry, Ducati covers this for 5 years because it's such a known issue. Regardless of the 5 year coverage we'd "good will" this job under warranty because it's very common. When do you want to come in?
DJ- next week ok?
PI- no problem, see you then.

No further comment, your honor.

HMMMMMMMMMM......

I'm not bashing anyone I'm just listing facts, and you can make your own judgement.

Up until yesterday I liked to spread my business to 3 shops in my area, because I like everybody and I think a little competition is healthy. Now it's down to 2... for good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have had similar great experiences with Proitalia.
NO BS. Very helpful.
Always take my riding buddies there hoping to convert them to 'our' way of thinking...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm not bashing anyone I'm just listing facts, and you can make your own judgement.
there are WAY too many horror stories regarding poor service at ducati dealerships across north america. that fact that DNA allows this to continue for their premium brand is frankly disturbing and often a primary reason why many ducatisti dump the brand.

best of luck with your repair!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Serious Jimmy turned me onto PI. I have a local Ducati dealership in OC about 8 miles from my house, but I ride the 60 miles to LA just to have these guys work on my bike. :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
You guys are so lucky. PI seems like are really stand up shop. Here in Manhattan, it's another story. According to them, they are the number 1 dealer Year to Date this year in North America for Ducati and they don't allow test rides. WTF? Another reason I contemplate moving to LA everyday...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are so lucky. PI seems like are really stand up shop. Here in Manhattan, it's another story. According to them, they are the number 1 dealer Year to Date this year in North America for Ducati and they don't allow test rides. WTF? Another reason I contemplate moving to LA everyday...
funny, BH claims to be the #1 dealer too... wonder what category, though... :think:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have found that all dealers that claim to be number one at anything tend to blow. Why that is...dunno??? Ever been to Bert's in Covina? :confused:

DGJ - WTF man!!?? This is the first I heard of your issue. That sux. BH Ducati has always been a group of arseholes in my opinion. There is a guy that rides a 999 down to one of my favorite L.A. wateringholes and was just raving about them, so I gave them a shot. Service was...ok, despite my frame sliders coming back on backwards. People in parts...total dicks. Now, I get that I'm not Matt LeBlanc, and won't be buying the Bimoto DB9 anytime soon. But about 6k in parts later...none of it has been purchased at BH for a reason.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lots more stories of the Beverly Hills guys being poor at customer service than any other dealership I know. I wonder why. Too bad they done't read the forums here.

·
Registered
242 Posts
well rest assured that if you are ever up in the northwest, DucatiSeattle has done right by me and i have been buying bikes from them for about 10 years now.

sorry to hear about your experience with BH, my guess is that they suffer the ego that comes from associating with the excessively wealthy. it doesnt matter that he is just a mechanic making a mechanics wage, or just a regular joe working the floor in retail, they get the false sense of ego from selling big ticket items to really wealthy and famous folks.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, and I guess they don't care for me because I do have quite a bit of bling on there now, none of which came from them...

The reason for that behavior is clear: I didn't buy my bike there nor do I get it serviced there. I only go to them for warranty issues, so they treat me like crap... (I did buy some gear there, though...)

I'm OK with that... I choose not to get ripped off and to get much better and cheaper service elsewhere...

BUT, they should have to honor warranty issues NO MATTER WHAT. That's their job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Totally agree the so called dealer in BH is one of the worst dealers I have come across. Last year had my bike towed there after the dreaded fuel hose came off and stranded my bike. I had such a horrible experience dealing with them. Any one reading, avoid them at all costs. Thumbs up for PI.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
get aftermarket guides installed

hey dj,

i had the same thing on my gt at 17k - the guides were bad and they couldn't tune it correctly without replacing them.

the head tuner at ducati seattle recommended i go with some aftermarket guides - these are made of a much better material and will outlast the engine. it cost me ~$225 (they did the labor under warranty and backed out the cost of the oem guides, so this was the balance) but i trust my tuner completely.

if you're gonna keep your bike for another 15k miles, you might want to consider this.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks GT Rossi.

do you know what's the name of the manufacturer? I'm dropping it off on the 23rd, so I will suggest it.

I plan on keeping this bike forever. this is an instant classic. as long as they make parts for it I will keep it alive.

hey dj,

i had the same thing on my gt at 17k - the guides were bad and they couldn't tune it correctly without replacing them.

the head tuner at ducati seattle recommended i go with some aftermarket guides - these are made of a much better material and will outlast the engine. it cost me ~$225 (they did the labor under warranty and backed out the cost of the oem guides, so this was the balance) but i trust my tuner completely.

if you're gonna keep your bike for another 15k miles, you might want to consider this.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i'll have to check with ducsea and let you know.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back on this topic:

can anyone who's had this job done tell me their experience in terms of how long the dealer took to take care of this?

I know they have to open the motor and they alway seem to convey that it's a huge task... but what am I looking at here, 1 week, 2, maybe 3?

Anyone?

thx

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
both my heads had to be sent off and rebuilt
(vertical idle bearing went and destroyed the belt)
collets and guides were bad.
turn around was about two weeks, which included shipping time.

i did remove the motor and the heads though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just got the bike back from 15K service. my mechanic (West Coast GP cycles) informed me that I was one of the lucky ones with soft valve guide:
"your shim is elongated, the collet was broken, and the valve is loose in the guide on the rear intake... so your valve guide is on its way out. It's common on this motor. It's all good to ride it for now, but go to your dealer to get this fixed under warranty"...

Ok, I'll go there right now as a matter of fact. My factory warranty expires in 5 days, and although I have a Western extended plan, I know that it may something they only partially cover, so time is of the essence...

step 1:

stopping at a... emm... Ducati Dealer claiming to be locate in Beverly Hills on my way home:
DJ- My Valve Guide is shot. It's under warranty for 5 more days. Can you take it in?
BH- How did you determine that?
DJ- Got my 15K done at GP, they informed me.
BH- yeah... well... I really don't have time right now... I have a 1098 with an open motor.... I mean like in two months maybe...
DJ- I have the Western extended plan...
BH- they'll only cover a portion of it... Sorry dude, can't help you.

WTF???!!!! At this point I am wondering if my next phone call is to Pro-Italia or to DNA for a MAJOR complaint.

Step 2:

I picked calling Pro-Italia...

DJ- I'm a lucky S1K owner with a defective..
PI- ..Gas Tank?
DJ- no, that's already been replaced, thanks. Valve guide. But here's the deal, 5 more days on factory warranty, then Western takes over... (told them WCGPcycles found the problem)
PI- Don't worry, Ducati covers this for 5 years because it's such a known issue. Regardless of the 5 year coverage we'd "good will" this job under warranty because it's very common. When do you want to come in?
DJ- next week ok?
PI- no problem, see you then.

No further comment, your honor.

HMMMMMMMMMM......

Up until yesterday I liked to spread my business to 3 shops in my area, because I like everybody and I think a little competition is healthy. Now it's down to 2... for good.

You made it 15K. good for you. PI did mine on my Paul Smart at the 6000mile service. I think several track days helped spped up the wear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
back on this topic:

can anyone who's had this job done tell me their experience in terms of how long the dealer took to take care of this?

I know they have to open the motor and they alway seem to convey that it's a huge task... but what am I looking at here, 1 week, 2, maybe 3?

Anyone?

thx

If I recall correctly, my bike was at PI for about a month. I was also waiting for a replacement tank so not sure how much of the time was because of that.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts