Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question for you all...I love my 04 ST3, but the throttle response is terrible comaperd to my last bike (Suzuki TL1000R). If I'm in a neighborhhod or the city (which I hate driving in anyway), if I'm at low speeds, and I let off the throttle (get's down to like 3k rpms), then twist the throttle a little to speed up gently, nothing happens, it sounds like it's hissing/backfiring up through the fuel injectors, then the the bike lurches forward. I'm a little concerned since I'll be putting on some Leo Vince exhaust in a week or so, and don't want to make this situation worse. My dealership ordered me a new ECU since he said that he thought mine was 4 or 5 letters old. He said they were up to like L. Anyone have any experience with this and do you think the new ECU will help? I had the exhaust springs recall done at the end of last year which made the bike 90% better than it was...Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
152 Posts
Throttle response

I have an '04 ST3 also - mine was pretty rough at first when going a steady speed between 2000 and 3000 RPM, but nowhere near as bad as yours sounds. At the 600 mile service the dealer tweaked the injection, and made it better, but I avoid steady speed in that RPM range. Was something of a challenge for me coming from 11 years on Gold Wings where there was no reason to ever exceed 3000, but I've adjusted!

Sounds like there is something seriously wrong with yours - press the dealer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If a new ECU doesn't immediately solve the problem (test ride it carefully before you leave), be assertive in requesting that they also check the throttle position sensor voltage, throttle body balance, and CO output. Those three things must be set well for these engines to have good running characteristics, especially in the sub-4,000 RPM range. If they tell you that popping, coughing, and BIG lurching is normal (a "little" jerkiness is to be expected in parking lots), find another shop or do the tuning work yourself. I did the latter and have been quite pleased with my '04 ST3's smoothness ever since.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
I recall there were some recalls associated with the first ST3's: ECU's and valve springs if memory serves me correctly. Could this be part of your problem? Search the archives for more details.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bill_Anderson said:
I recall there were some recalls associated with the first ST3's: ECU's and valve springs if memory serves me correctly. Could this be part of your problem? Search the archives for more details.
Bill: He mentioned in his first post that the exhaust springs specified in the Service Bulletin were done...

Desmo_Duc: My experience is that the exhaust springs solve the major problem. I have the stock ECU, but the new springs and I've been able to attain a pretty good tune for lower RPMs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I'm going to tell them about it when they put in the new ECU...The dealer is really good to me...They ordered the ECU because they new there had been a bunch of updates since mine was last done. That way when they put the aftermarket exhaust on, they can tweak it all...Thanks again and I'll let you know how it comes out. I still love this bike, WAY different from my TL1000R, still getting used to the look of the panniers, but man are they useful!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Desmo_Duc said:
if I'm at low speeds, and I let off the throttle (get's down to like 3k rpms), then twist the throttle a little to speed up gently, nothing happens, it sounds like it's hissing/backfiring up through the fuel injectors, then the the bike lurches forward.
My dealership ordered me a new ECU since he said that he thought mine was 4 or 5 letters old. He said they were up to like L.
Anyone have any experience with this and do you think the new ECU will help? I had the exhaust springs recall done at the end of last year which made the bike 90% better than it was...Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Chris
I've has the same symptoms when they changed my exhaust springs without changing the ECU.
When the dealership changed the ECU, 3000 miles later, all was fine at last.

YveST3

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Desmo Duc w/Leo Vince

Desmo Duc, Ditto what the others mentioned; my 04 ST3 got the ECU and return springs changed out under warranty at my 12k service I think it was, noticeable change for the positive. After the Leo Vince's are on I'd be interested to hear your take on them; describle the sound if you will.

Thanks in advance, jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
The stalling / surging problems associated with my wife's 04 ST3 were all resolved with the closing springs and ECU that were replaced under warranty. When we installed DP CF silencers and air filter on her bike, the DP ECU that was supplied with the silencer kit unfortunately caused some spluttering and stalling at low revs. This ECU was however also replaced under warranty and everything is fine now - the bike is running great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't recall them saying they replaced the ECU when they did the springs, but maybe I just forgot...I'll keep you posted and jbourque, I'll let you know how the CF Leo's sound...I want a nice rumble, nothing too loud since they are very touchy around here about loud exhaust (couldn't get an inspection sticker on my TLR with D&D's)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picked my bike up from the dealer from having the new ECU and Leo Vince CF exhaust installed. What a difference the new ECU made...No more sputtering at low rpms after backing off the throttle...It feels like a different bike...

I also have to say, I love the change in the exhaust. I had D&D's on my TL1000R, and they were loud, but they didn't have a deepness to them...The Leo Vince CF exhaust has a really deep note. They are actually louder than I expected them to be, but they sound nice. A nice rumble at idle, I actually think they are the loudest at 4K rpm's...They are relatively quiet at speed, until you hit the throttle...My wife said they are not half as loud as my TLR (when she heard me coming home...She said she couldn't hear me half as far away as she could on the TLR)...No other sporting twin is a sweet a sound as a Ducati with non stock exhaust!

I had a grin on my face the whole way home, and it's been hard to stop grinning all night...Too bad it's gonna rain the next day or so...I want to ride it again!!! Stock was just WAY too quiet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts