Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys ...this was not what I wanted to post as my fist thread but as luck would have it......first off I am a rider with nearly forty years of experience ,alot of bikes in that time,right now i mostly ride my BMW K1200S,also have a 94 Harley and last week added the Paul Smart to my garage,this is my first Ducati and I was very excited about recieving it.As luck would have it after just 70 miles the engine began sputtering and backfiring and fouled the plug and stranded me. Dealer tells me there was a bad oil ring,it scared the head and passed oil through fouling the plug.Now this is the first time I have been stranded by a bike,lucky yes,but what I am hoping to hear is that this is a fluke and that you guys love this engine and find it trouble free so input is welcome.(before anyone asks I did not over rev or lugg the engine during that 70 miles)

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Robert said:
what I am hoping to hear is that this is a fluke and that you guys love this engine and find it trouble free so input is welcome.
It's a fluke. That particular engine is pretty much trouble free.

Does that help?

Seriously, the engine used in the PS has been around a long time and not a lot goes wrong with it.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ouch.

It's a fluke, but I doubt that'll make you feel any better. There are lots of people on here with little nagging problems, but something like this is very rare from what I've seen/heard.

I don't have firm numbers, but my guess is that they build almost as many of the 1000DS motors as all the other motors combined; it's their bread & butter engine right now, used in the Monster, MS, SS and Classics lines. You just drew the short straw.

Having said that, PLEASE keep us updated on what your dealer and DNA say and do regarding this.

Sorry about your experience.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hate to hear that! I hope they really do a good job taking care of you. I would ask for a new bike (or atleast a motor) I don't know if that will work but heck, you paid for a new bike not one put together by some shop mechanics.

You sound like a g y who will really enjoy that bike. I hope the rest of your experience is as positive as most peoples have been.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry for your pain, Robert. Nothing brings you down quicker than having a problem (serious one at that) with a new bike. Aside from the potential "buyer's remorse most of us have to some degree when the machine being purchased is not a primary ride, or necessity, it also affects your confidence moving forward.

That said, I don't believe you have anything to worry about long-term. Any motor, any motor can have a problem during breaak-in. Particularly during the first 50-100 miles. That's when most failures occur, regardless of brand.

I think you'll love the 1000DS. It is a superb motor for real-world riding. It pulls like a freight train, has a ton of character, and has a pleasant "can-do" type of personality. I have just about 2,100 miles on mine, and I love it. I think you will too. -Capt

·
ROF
686 Posts
Robert said:
HI guys ...this was not what I wanted to post as my fist thread but as luck would have it......right now i mostly ride my BMW K1200S,... ...what I am hoping to hear is that this is a fluke and that you guys love this engine and find it trouble free so input is welcome.
The problem is your K1200S...... :D
I traded in my PS in on a 2005 K1200S in the first week of April. Things are going great but my PS kept calling me from my dealers place wanting to make up and come home. I pick up my old PS on Tuesday...You can check out what's up with both my PS and K12S at www.pakbikes.net

The PS engine problems are a fluke IMHO..... My K12S has had its share of issues but now it is just wonderful... :yeah:

·
Registered
66 Posts
BLACKBIRDXX said:
The problem is your K1200S...... :D
I traded in my PS in on a 2005 K1200S in the first week of April. Things are going great but my PS kept calling me from my dealers place wanting to make up and come home. I pick up my old PS on Tuesday...You can check out what's up with both my PS and K12S at www.pakbikes.net

The PS engine problems are a fluke IMHO..... My K12S has had its share of issues but now it is just wonderful... :yeah:
Aren't you the fellow who was selling the PS1000 parts? I enjoyed watching you build that bike this year, and was absolutely in shock when I saw the website was trimmed down and the wonderful parts were for sale. I wrote you once, I'm glad you found space for both bikes,
Best,
Tom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replys guys,it makes me feel better hearing from real world riders that they like this engine. Should have the bike back in about a week with new head and piston so I will let you all know how it works out(much happier post I hope)Thanks for making a new guy feel welcome.
By the way BLACKBIRDXX your K and mine share alot of the same mods,seat,carbon,lens,etc,no issues with mine really,its an 06 gray....you know the fast color :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome back Blackbird, we forgive you!

BLACKBIRDXX said:
...Things are going great but my PS kept calling me from my dealers place wanting to make up and come home. I pick up my old PS on Tuesday...:yeah:
Hey Blackbird...you had me worried man! You don't have to own a Duc to have my respect, (but it DOES help), but when I saw that you were selling your PS, I was really let-down. You seemed like the kinda guy that really appreciated the classic retro/with new more reliable technology kinda guy.

I didn't eat for days... :D

Glad you'll be back in the saddle. The Smart may not be your everyday bike, but selling it would be such a shame. Glad to hear from you!
-Capt

·
ROF
686 Posts
kingcapt said:
Hey Blackbird...you had me worried man! You don't have to own a Duc to have my respect, (but it DOES help), but when I saw that you were selling your PS, I was really let-down. You seemed like the kinda guy that really appreciated the classic retro/with new more reliable technology kinda guy.

I didn't eat for days... :D

Glad you'll be back in the saddle. The Smart may not be your everyday bike, but selling it would be such a shame. Glad to hear from you!
-Capt
Yep I am "Back In The Saddle Again"

Met a guy here in Salem Oregon that can make anything out of metal so I am really excited about getting my tail section modification project re-started. I want to get it from the one-up phase to the pre-production prototype stage. I have had a few folks make inquires about my design and it has been really frustrating trying to explain how I came up with the design let alone trying to help them come up with a simular solution.

I have also restructured my motorcycle websites so they sit under one roof. The link is what is shown in my "signature".....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm having similar problems...suddenly the idle became irratic and I am getting misfiring, especially while engine braking. On top of that the engine is leaking oil (had to put silicone around one of the bolts) and I've been waiting 3 months for my Termignoni 2 in 1s. Not a great start to my Ducati experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Feel for you on the bad start

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about the bad start with your Paul Smart. At least it's covered under manufacturer's warranty is all I can say. Make sure the dealer and DNA take care of you, it shouldn't cost you a thing out of pocket.

On the brighter side, all I can tell you is that when you get it back, you will enjoy riding this bike. It's fun and you're going to get plenty of attention wherever you go.

I had a situation recently where I parked the bike in front of the supermarket in Manhattan Beach, CA, and before I even got my helmet off a woman was saying, "Neat bike" to me...then told me how she used to ride a Monster, etc. I'm no casanova, but I'm alert enough to know an opening opportunity from a woman when it presents itself (thanks to the silver Duc)...I took it from there to close the deal, even a Duc can't close the deal for a fella. Ducati's will do this in general, and this bike in particular. So you should reap the benefits soon.

Quick question for Toobs1234, where exactly was your engine leaking oil? How bad was it? Curious, did tightening the bolt not help with the leak?

Ride safe,

Kevin

·
Registered
338 Posts
kever888 said:
Quick question for Toobs1234, where exactly was your engine leaking oil? How bad was it? Curious, did tightening the bolt not help with the leak?
It was on the chromed valve head cover on the side of the vertical cylinder. Leak was "significant", but not gushing. Since it's under warranty I took it back to the dealer to fix, they had to put a gob of silicone on it to stop the leak--have to say I'm not very satisfied with the solution. Dealer said they had the same problem with a Sport.

best regards, John

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
toobs1234 said:
they had to put a gob of silicone on it to stop the leak--have to say I'm not very satisfied with the solution.
I'm with you. A "gob of silicone" doesn't sound like much of a solution. I wouldn't let them off the hook until they gave you a proper fix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John
Did your dealer address the idle and misfire problem....if so I am interested in what they found
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sport Classic engine oil leak

toobs1234 said:
It was on the chromed valve head cover on the side of the vertical cylinder. Leak was "significant", but not gushing. Since it's under warranty I took it back to the dealer to fix, they had to put a gob of silicone on it to stop the leak--have to say I'm not very satisfied with the solution. Dealer said they had the same problem with a Sport.

best regards, John
John,

I've heard about this "minor" oil leak on the 1000DS vertical engine cylinder. I was concerned enough to look up the part/area in question on the Paul Smart parts diagram pdf manual.

It's actually referred to as the cylinder head "sidecap cover." According to the parts diagram, there is a gasket under the sidecap cover. Do you know if your dealer replaced that gasket or simply tried tightening the bolts?

I would find out...it seems like a simple solution. I wonder if it's a big deal for an owner to remove the cover, replace the gasket, and tighten it all back up...or should this be a dealer-only repair.

Also wouldn't a gob of silicone eventually melt as it is on the exterior of the engine cylinder?

Kevin

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kev Triple8, the silicone won't melt. It's just a bad exercise in mechanics. The key is to find the burr, or misalignment, etc., and fix it right. I have known quite a few mechanics whom won't even use silicone schmutz to seal a case.

The problem with fixes like this is aside from it not generally working very well, who knows where the excess goo will end up. -Maybe an oil feed or return oil passage? :eek:

-Pull the cover, look at the mating surfaces, and find the problem. -If your dealer isn't more useful than that, do it yourself before you have real problems.
-Capt

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Hey Blackbird....are you a "Blackbird" as in Senior Crown ?

b.

·
Registered
338 Posts
kingcapt said:
The key is to find the burr, or misalignment, etc., and fix it right.
-Pull the cover, look at the mating surfaces, and find the problem. -If your dealer isn't more useful than that, do it yourself before you have real problems.
-Capt
update: dealer says they will fix the problem properly, but are too busy right now...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts