Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running out of gas with 2 bars showing, I suspected a fuel level sensor problem. This was confirmed on a recent trip when the fuel level sensor warning appeared in the display. I haven't heard of others with this issue so hopefully it's an anomaly.
A trip to the dealer for the coolant change was already scheduled and they ordered the part. I just picked up the bike and they tell me the fuel tank has expanded, so now that's on order. I'm planning on coating the tank when it comes in.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't really trust that fuel gauge (on any bike), so I always set the trip meter, knowing that at an average of 40mpg(unless I'm 'playing'), I'm good for 160-180 before needing to fuel up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Until this bike I never trusted the fuel gauge/miles to empty, but the MTS distance to empty is great. I have run mine down to "0" miles to empty twice and it has taken 5.25 gals both times. I think on these occasions I ran it out to over 220 miles.

·
Premium Member
12,415 Posts
Don't trust the gas pumps either....
Really think they are accurate?

There have been some bad fuel guage problems.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
On my third tank sensor. But all have been good where you need it most...towards empty. But yes...Trip 2 is for the trip Km's. Trip 1 is rest every fill. I get a safe 260km...unless I'm at super speed....then it's about half that!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
like nick ive had two replaced under warranty...
when the first failed i didnt even have the dustance to empty thing working.... had to soley rely on resetting the trip meter.

shop said its actually a common fault.

·
Registered
750 Posts
To the OP, I had a bad fuel sensor early on that was replaced under warranty. No issues since.

Be careful with coating the new tank. It may void your warranty. :eek: Check w/ your dealer first.

-SM

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correction on my last post.
4 fuel sensors now, had another fail on the way to the Ducati shop. This time it failing High, that makes a change. At least I don't have the warning light on all the time.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The fuel sending unit started failing on mine within the first couple months of ownership. I had the sensor replaced last summer with the latest rev sensor and it has been fine since. I talked to the service writer at my local Ducati dealer and I asked him if he has seen any of the rev D sending units fail yet and he said he has not. So, hopefully Ducati finally got it right.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yay, ethanol. Err, wait... :frown2:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine failed last month, bringing it to dealer this Saturday. Fun times!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Was that the latest rev? :(
I'm not sure. I have a 2016 MTS that I picked up in August 2015 and this is the first failure. It actually failed in early December (can't believe it's already February). I've been holding off for warmer weather but would rather just get it addressed now. With all the fuel sensor issues are replacements warrantied separate from the bike?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'm not sure. I have a 2016 MTS that I picked up in August 2015 and this is the first failure. It actually failed in early December (can't believe it's already February). I've been holding off for warmer weather but would rather just get it addressed now. With all the fuel sensor issues are replacements warrantied separate from the bike?
Does it really matter? Your bike is still under warranty so they'll replace it. :grin2:

Your bike probably has the last of the older rev sensors. I don't think dealers started getting the rev D sensors until the middle of July of 2015 and your bike was probably already assembled and on its way to the states by then.

Ducati would probably warranty the sensor beyond the factory warranty if you're the original owner as a good faith replacement. This is a well documented problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Does it really matter? Your bike is still under warranty so they'll replace it. :grin2:

Your bike probably has the last of the older rev sensors. I don't think dealers started getting the rev D sensors until the middle of July of 2015 and your bike was probably already assembled and on its way to the states by then.

Ducati would probably warranty the sensor beyond the factory warranty if you're the original owner as a good faith replacement. This is a well documented problem.
That's my concern. This has obviously been a long standing problem going back several years it seems by posts on this forum. So if they replace it a few times during my warranty period would the new sensor warranty eventually exceed my bikes warranty.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That's my concern. This has obviously been a long standing problem going back several years it seems by posts on this forum. So if they replace it a few times during my warranty period would the new sensor warranty eventually exceed my bikes warranty.
Well, you already bought the bike. Unless you're planning getting rid of it because of this issue I'd just replace the sending unit and not worry about it.

My bike is a 2014 and this is the only problem I've had with it in a little over a year and 7600 miles of ownership. My advice to you would be to put as many miles on your bike as possible in the first two years of ownership. That way, if anything fails it fails while the bike is still under warranty.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was finally able to get my 2016 DVT to dealer yesterday for fuel sensor. Very frustrating that they are aware this is an issue, told me they replace many and then told me they don't stock it and it could take up to two weeks. Why wouldn't they stock a few of these or at least warehouse a stash in a US to cut shipping times in half?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was finally able to get my 2016 DVT to dealer yesterday for fuel sensor. Very frustrating that they are aware this is an issue, told me they replace many and then told me they don't stock it and it could take up to two weeks. Why wouldn't they stock a few of these or at least warehouse a stash in a US to cut shipping times in half?
Which dealership did you go to? I took mine over to Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA which may be a bit of a drive but they did it the same day for my bike with a few days notice.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Which dealership did you go to? I took mine over to Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA which may be a bit of a drive but they did it the same day for my bike with a few days notice.
Fast by Ferracci in WillowGrove, PA. They have always been good and easy to deal with but this situation frustrates me a bit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts