Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday during my ride someone on a BMW moto came up behind me. We were riding up a mountain pass (mt. rose) It's a long twisting road full of fun turns and LOTS of cars and traffic. Cars are nice enough to use the few pullouts that are available.

This guy kept riding CLOSE to me and almost ALWAYS in the blind spot. I have no idea who it is, meaning I'm not sure of his ability, etc.. I was eager too to not have any cars in front of me, but it's the 4th of July week. Tahoe gets FLOODED with people. Cars non-stop in both directions. You pass two cars, you will have 10 more in front of you.

So my question is this. Is it bad forum for this guy to ride as he did? Close to a total stranger, constantly in my blind spots? He finally got fed up and went for it. Running the gauntlet in a marginal zone for passing. He did a three or four car pass into a semi-blind turn. Only to stack up again at the next set of cars.

Seems to me that he couldn't keep it in his pants-making it a bummer for me and dangerous for both. In hid sight. I should have pulled over to let him pass. I figured that by constantly looking back, moving my elbows to try and find him in my rear views was a big enough hint. But I was wrong..

It's one thing if you KNOW the person riding with you and they are close. You at least know where their head is at and have some level of trust. With a total stranger, his front wheel at times just off the side of my rear. I was pissed. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

I've been riding for 'only' 13 years. Maybe I'm being over critical. What's your opinion?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I would say you were definitely in the right. Your concern was keeping in the safe zone, whilst Daffy was preventing you from being there.

In addition, you demonstrate intelligence by suggesting a lesson for yourself (pulling over to let Daffy pass).

The roads are full of penis-brains. Our job is to manage them out of our space:think:.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I've been riding for 35 yrs and I would nave been a little agitated as well. There really isn't any reason to ride that close to someone else even if you know each others abilities. There are too many unpredictable forces involved when riding on the public road and riding that close increases the potential for minor hiccups becoming major problems.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda what I was thinking. At first I was thinking, cool, a fellow rider. You know when you are on a bike and you think to yourself; "fucking motorcycles", it's probably not a good situation... I'm 37 years old. I like to have fun and my guess is this rider was also past 30 simply judging by his bike-but age doesn't mean smart sometimes.

Next time, I swallow my pride and pull over. Besides. On the straights when I gunned it he was eating my dust...

·
Mr Leakered
8,836 Posts
So there were cars in front of you, maybe not close but not far, and he was riding your ass? Definitely not cool.

Otherwise, bikes passing bikes is a total piece of cake compared to clearing enough space around a car. I think they may have been riding with an attitude.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Mt. Rose is full of cars pretty much all the time-ESPECIALLY right before the 4th of july. It's one of the main roads between Reno and Lake Tahoe. The rider was able to pass myself and about 4 other cars and get around the next bend. I'm sure only to be behind another set of cars.

If you hit the road at the right time you may only have a few cars in front of you at best. But NEVER solo. Maybe during the shoulder season at like 10:30 am. After rush hour, before lunch, etc..

I know I'm getting a bit older, but seriously I want to keep aging....

·
Mr Leakered
8,836 Posts
Definite douche then. ;) At least you didn't pass by a down rider later on.

I know what your saying. A lot of times when following cars, I will back off a bit when coming up on fun corner if only to get a nice, smooth run at it. Sometimes that's the only good corner of the day.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
my2cents...coming up on another rider show you know..take the opposite wheel track and back far enuff to let the one in front see you in their mirrors.
Least we can do is show fellow riders respect...you know we don't get enuff form the other quarter.
JMO

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My feelings too. If I ride next to a stranger I do two things-at least.

1. Keep my distance

2. Stay where I think I can be seen easily. Riding directly behind another rider is annoying. You become invisible.

I ride alone about 99% of the time. I just don't know many people with bikes. So it's nice to hear some feedback from others. My guess, this other guy thinks I'm a wuss. Just doesn't make sense to make a dangerous pass to be caught right behind another slew of cars anyway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
1) You are hardly "older" had a chuckle there

It is so uncool that he did that to you, whenever I find myself behind another rider I usually drop back and "find" a gas station, stop for a little and then get back on the road. I find that in my area of the woods, other riders are very good at keeping their distance.

One time I was solo at a red light, and a guy on a 999s pulled up next to me and asked where I was headed and after a brief exchange we realized that we were headed in the same direction. He asked if he could join me, haha OF COURSE!!!! That bike was sick... Turns out he was a local Doc, and we have become friends now, and ride together. It was cool that he asked to join me, instead of being a dick and just tailing me.

There are some good ones out there and some bad ones...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Sounds like he could have been a dick.
He should have either passed or dropped back a bit if he wasn't fast enough.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
He's an idiot.

As another poster already stated, he should stay back so you can see him, on the opposite track than yours.

I wave people like this by when it is safe to pass.

(corollary: Why do people try to wave you by on corners, going up hills and other stupid places to pass? I am not going to go when I can't see.

I do appreciate the gesture however as these are both cagers and Harleys that saw me come up, do not want to go as fast and realize I would like to get by even though I am not tailgating. My rule is to follow at a polite distance, then pass when it is safe.)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pimpledicks like that make the ride seem aimless and spoil the brotherhood thang... Hang tight w/ your excellent attitude.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Forgot to say - your roads up there and the cold air for the big breathers are ideal!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
following to tight

Extremely inconsiderate as well as dangerous. I like to think that most BMW riders know better, but in reality we all know stupidity doesn't follow brands or types. Even with the couple guys I ride with frequently and trust completely, we ALWAYS stay where visible in the mirror and don't crowd each other. Just plain common sense to make sure everyone gets home in one piece, body and ego.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
It is not a matter of etiquette or form, it is a matter of safety. Following you too closely and passing on blind corners is not safe and you have a right to be pi**ed.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
cars use pullouts for me, I pullout for motorcycles, too. Or at least I let them go by. No pressure on, no pressure on him.
split second to let someone pass and I can enjoy the pressure free ride at my own pace
Everybody wins.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yes, he was rude, crude and dangerous. Sounds like the kind of guy that can't see much past his pecker. I'd let him get in front of me so I could keep an eye on him.

·
Premium Member
12,356 Posts
Bad Form Indeed ! Had some fun with a hotrod Harley the other day he came up pretty fast just to check the bike out At a stop light he asked if it was a monster I screamed no a Hypermotard Couldn't hear because of the loud pipes etc we made it out to the boonies and opened them up.I wanted and could have passed him on a long sweeping overpass but decided not to as I didn't know his style or experience...Waited till the time was right and blew by him let him catch up and pass and blew by him a couple of more times Just showing each other what we had...Great fun , I made a right turn up the road a bit , big wave and smiles all around ...In your case somebody has to give in ...is he more of a menace behind you or in front of you?

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
He must have trusted your riding to be so close, but to make boneheaded passes on a turkey (tourist) weekend, {kind of a winter Tahoe City local myself} wasn't too bright. I have do think the same way here on weekends, let 'em go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts