Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Backordered Parts Problems

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Screaming J 
#1 ·
Hey all, sorry to be a noob with an issue right out of the gate, but I want to remain a Ducatisti...and this issue is giving me cause for pause.

My bike's been waiting for 4 weeks for part #DM88641321A--a 69 cent, oil-retaining O-ring that lives deep in the clutch. Factory says it's backordered, I can't find a shop that has one, and I've missed a full moon, a week's vacation, and several group rides. It's a current part, even though my bike's a '98.

Is anybody else experiencing this kind of problem with the factory? It seems stoopid that the part isn't in stock, and if Ducati's starting to slip in this direction, Aprilia and Triumph are starting to look good. Any insight? Thanks!

#2 ·
Apparently you haven't ever heard of nightmare stories of Aprilia, their parts, or their PITA warranty approvals. I like Aprilia, but there is a reason why I got the 1198S instead of waiting it out for an RSV4.

Trust me, you have it good.

What is the exact model of your bike?

#4 ·
If it's an O-Ring then the chances are that it isn't made by Ducati and likely has other applications (ie used by other manufacturers). Do you have the spec or description of the O-Ring itself? If you find out who makes it you may be able to find out who else stocks it other than Ducati.

#7 ·
In that case I would put the dealer under some pressure to get one in from another dealership and fit it pronto. Surely someone in the Ducati Dealer network must have one in stock? You are waiting too long as it is IMHO, so put the onus back on them, no matter how good they are. ;)

#15 ·
Done, and done. Muchas gracias to the good folks at Seattle, and the member who referred me to them; it's in the mail tomorrow.

Hell will be paid at my dealer. Oh yes--hell will be paid. Frikkin' obscene that I can find the part here on the forum in 2 hours when they can't find it in 4 weeks. Are you sure there IS a Dealer Network for parts? If there is, it's inefficient, on at least one dealer's end...

Still, the root problem exists: WTF isn't the factory sourcing this necessary and common part?! I've never had a problem like this with Ducati--what's up?
My man John the Parts Guy at DucSea comes through again. If the part is so necessary and common, I would ask your dealership why it doesn't keep a stock on hand.

I would not be so quick to blame Ducati as in the seven years I have been going to Ducati Seattle, John has never had problems getting parts. I suspect the problem may be lazy/incompetent dealers who use Ducati as a convenient scapegoat.

#8 ·
Yes, I have that problem right now. I've been waiting for a few weeks for one of those infamous upper coolant reservoirs for my 916.

I've already been burned buying used reservoirs online that have "no leaks", so I decided to order from Ducati.

The shop working on my bike said Ducati won't ship parts unless they get enough orders to fill...something. Maybe a pallet or crate. Of course, that's what the shop said, not Ducati.

#10 ·
It is a real PITA for the dealer to pick up the phone, swallow pride and check with another dealer or DNA! Glad you got your "O" ring. Your mechanic friend may have been well intended to advise you to use OEM parts but he should also be smart enough to want to get you on the road. Be careful though about burning a bridge over a part that costs pennies.

#13 ·
Good advice; I don't burn bridges, though, I let others do that. If I don't leave feeling like I've been taken care of, I'll find another avenue.

Just got off the phone with DNA; they say the part shipped from Italy on July 3, and should already be at the dealer. They're tracking the order, and I'll know soon if the dealer's Receiving isn't communicating with Service. Whatever--that they couldn't do in 4 weeks what I did in 2 hours is something I really need for them to explain. We put WAY too much time, money, and love into these machines for a 21st century support network to be this inefficient.

#20 ·
Veteran members of Ducati.MS will remember that DNA tried this a few years ago with disasterous results. For those few parts Ducati Seattle may not have in stock, John the Parts Guy orders them from Italy the same day you order them from John. The parts usually arrive within a week with no problem. As I said in my previous post, I suspect many dealers are unfairly using Bologna as a scapegoat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.