Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another one for the weird noises catalogue. Turning my rear wheel yesterday revealed a tick, tick, tick noise followed by a sharp clunk. It does not appear at the same point of rotation. I feel that it is caliper related and if I put my hand on the caliper, when the clunk happens it can be felt through the caliper. The caliper is very loose and can be wiggled from side -to -side on the mountings; are they all like this?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Here's another one for the weird noises catalogue. Turning my rear wheel yesterday revealed a tick, tick, tick noise followed by a sharp clunk. It does not appear at the same point of rotation. I feel that it is caliper related and if I put my hand on the caliper, when the clunk happens it can be felt through the caliper. The caliper is very loose and can be wiggled from side -to -side on the mountings; are they all like this?
Not enough info. But, calipers *float* and can be moved a bit. The first thing I would suspect would be that the chain is worn out and has some tight spots. The second would be that the rear rotor is warped and is moving the pads in on the high spots.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hmm... I thought it was the rotors that 'float', not the calipers; in any case, if you can really move the caliper that can't be normal. I've never experienced the noise you describe on bikes; but on cars I have heard something similar, and it was an improperly fitted caliper after a brake redo in a dealer's repair shop.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Here are a few things I would try:
1) adjust, clean, and lube the chain
2) pull the caliper off and check the pads for even wear. as stated it should "float" but not be overly loose, especially if the play is in the point where the bolts holt it to the bracket. If there is obvious uneven wear on the pads then alignment somewhere is definitely off
3) reattach the caliper and tighten it most of the way. Spin the rear wheel a few times and hit the brake quickly to stop the wheel each time. The last time, hold the brake and torque the caliper bolts to spec (don't have the service manual with me to provide this at the moment)

If you aren't comfortable doing any of that, head to a shop or dealer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts