Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Rex Coil 7: Agreed; very difficult to troubleshoot on a phone call, but if my bike's back wheel locked up while riding, this would be the first thing I would have discussed on the phone and I would have made it very clear that the locking of the wheel was due to the engine stalling as described, not something else I did. It's unlikely that the battery itself would cause a problem like this but a bad connection could result in a loss of ignition and a stall. I wasn't on the call either but the OP was certainly given the impression that changing the battery may fix the problem. I guess it's all about interpretation. I apologize if I upset you Rex Coil 7; your points are most valid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for all the feedback. After the engine stalled and the lock up it was just spinning on starter. Defo a communication break down with the dealer about the battery. There's no way I have the equipment to experiment here. So the dealer 400km away came and picked it up.
Due to military lock down and curfews and I life on a remote island, couldn't get to the bike after it was delivered to a location on the mainland after service. I will certainly not be leaving a bike standing for that long again. Just so odd that it was fine for 15km and straight after refueling it has issues and then lock up. Just hope they can fix it but also give me real causes so I have the knowledge in the future of what can happen. Sometimes all you get here is a 'its fixed now'
thanks again guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
wow that sounds bad... when back wheel locked did it freewheel when you pulled in the clutch? when you shift to neutral can you push the bike... when in neutral will the motor turn over?
Yeah free wheeled when I pulled clutch on lock up. Bike pushes fine in neutral. Motor won't turn over at all.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I don't think the rear brake has the oomph to lock the rear wheel. Sounds more serious to me, engine seize or transmission failure, although he was able to put the bike into 3rd and try to push start the bike and was unable to get the motor to turn over.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I don't think the rear brake has the oomph to lock the rear wheel. Sounds more serious to me, engine seize or transmission failure, although he was able to put the bike into 3rd and try to push start the bike and was unable to get the motor to turn over.
That was when the other belt broke or finally became unjammed under the crank gear area. Now a valve or two is bent....

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
OK, remember, I'm not saying that the OP locked the rear wheel up with the rear brake (and ..seriously? ... the rear brake on a Supersport doesn't have enough power to lock the rear wheel? .. woa ..). EDIT: Forgot we were talking about a Multi ... of COURSE it has no rear brake, that's a given I guess with a Multi ... over costly hassle-bikes). I was putting out possible variables regarding the phonecall with the dealer when I said that. Let's keep all of this straight please.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Yeah free wheeled when I pulled clutch on lock up. Bike pushes fine in neutral. Motor won't turn over at all.
One thing you can possibly do even if you don't like working on bikes is pull off the belt covers to see if your belts are off (starting to sadly sound likely). IIRC the front cylinder cover isn't too bad to get off.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The odo mileage will be proof that the problem occurred very few miles after the service. I would not try to diagnose or mess with the bike in any way. The dealer should be given the opportunity to diagnose without anyone else monkeying with it. After you know what the problem is, and if the dealer is likely at fault, and they do not own up, you can contact Ducati North America customer service (assuming you are in the States). After having serious and very expensive problems with two dealerships screwing up a fairly new bike, DNA responded within 10 minutes of me contacting them via email. I was stunned at how helpful they were in making sure I stayed a happy Ducati owner. YMMV. Hopefully the dealer was the cause and fixes the problem. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
My $.02 - Don't trample the crime scene. Let them figure it out. They're trained to only listen to themselves anyway.

Worth $.02? Who knows...

pg

·
Registered
5 Posts
"Just so odd that it was fine for 15km and straight after refueling it has issues and then lock up "
Come on people, this appears to be a no brainer!
water in the fuel, 15 K's to pick up the water from the tank, hi comp motor in stall low revs would seem like a lock up, fits with all the other things said in forum.
And an easy test and fix

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
"Just so odd that it was fine for 15km and straight after refueling it has issues and then lock up "
Come on people, this appears to be a no brainer!
water in the fuel, 15 K's to pick up the water from the tank, hi comp motor in stall low revs would seem like a lock up, fits with all the other things said in forum.
And an easy test and fix
Just,... no -

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just,... no -
But going so far out ... work of art really; bit poetry-in-motionish. 10 points for imagination, and plonking it in the 'no brainer' box was pure genius!

The distance ridden is the clue. Long enough to let whatever it was do the damage to the motor, not the gb, and the fuel stop was just a heat cycle. Something is properly cactus in there, and we are now all curious to hear what it was...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just,... no - Again
Fuel floats on water, 1km and the water would be in the engine. Water in the engine stops it running, not locking up.

As I said do a compression test, easy and eliminates the engine issues virtually straight away.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Love it. Cats float on water. Obviously its a no brainer. Water in fuel, intake sucked up cat. Takes 15km for cat to scratch through air filter. Cat inside, floating on water in fuel. Solution is simple. Get spiny anteater and take plug out. If ants get out it is only a cat inside and spiny anteater cleans them up. If no ants, it was chasing the cat and is also stuck inside.

So good to have such easy to diagnose over the www problems turning up on this forum, instead of the usual lot. When the dealer has done their thing I look forward to a report on fur colour, it is the only missing piece...🤪.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Fuel floats on water, 1km and the water would be in the engine. Water in the engine stops it running, not locking up.

As I said do a compression test, easy and eliminates the engine issues virtually straight away.
Since wood also floats, be sure to check for any 2x4's in the piston area before turning over a seized engine for the compression test. And ducks, make sure there are not any of those floating in there too.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts