Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MTS 950 had 12,000km service then bike immediately sat for 5 months in storage. Started the bike no problem and drove out of town. no problems. stopped to refuel and coffee. bike had problems starting. once started, 5kms later engine stalled when accelerating from about 40kph and back wheel locked. bike would not start again. had to get a truck to get me. checked everything before setting off. no warning lights. oil is good. Dealership saying its the battery but put my mates battery into mine on the side of road and was still dead. Any body had something like this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
First...see if you can move the rear brake without engaging the pushrod....you need 1-2mm of free travel to allow the fluid to return

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First...see if you can move the rear brake without engaging the pushrod....you need 1-2mm of free travel to allow the fluid to return
Thanks. The back wheel moves freely in neutral and brake works. Tried to push in 3rd and cant budge the bike an inch. Its like the engine seized.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like gear box failure to me. I had a similar thing happen to me years ago on a Honda.

·
Super Moderator
26,638 Posts
Sounds more catastrophic than that. The engine would start, wouldn't it?
Is it spinning on the starter, turning over just not starting, or is it not even turning over?

·
Sophomore Member
2,888 Posts
I’d put it on its center stand or a rear stand and pull the spark plugs. See if it will shift through the gears. If it will shift, then put it in 6th gear and try turning the motor over by hand using the back wheel.
If you can’t turn it over by hand, I’d put it back in neutral, pop the cover off of the alternator, and try turning just the motor over. This will help you determine if the issue is engine or transmission.
If it’s engine, I’d start with pulling the belt covers and checking timing. If that looks fine, drain the oil and see if it is glittery. If your oil is glittery... you’ve got big problems.
If the problem is transmission, I’m a lot less knowledgeable in that area. I will say Ducati transmissions are quite robust. They have failures on occasion, but much less so that the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
wow that sounds bad... when back wheel locked did it freewheel when you pulled in the clutch? when you shift to neutral can you push the bike... when in neutral will the motor turn over?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think your dealership either doesn't understand what happened, or they're full of it. Nothing about a bad battery would cause the drivetrain to lock up. Your drivetrain has seized up, either the engine or the transmission. Take it back to the shop. Don't touch a wrench to that bike, just get it to the dealer. They broke it, they need to diagnose the problem and make it right.

Record every interaction you have with them. Maybe you won't need it, but better safe than sorry. Most dealerships are good about dealing with comebacks, even catastrophic ones, but you've basically created the ideal situation for them to not be. Don't ever have major service work done then let a vehicle sit for months immediately afterwards.

When the problem occurred while you were riding, did the drivetrain immediately lock up solid (skidding rear wheel, etc.) or did it just gradually slow the bike to a stop? I know you said it locked up, but did it immediately lock up, or gradually lock up?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Broken belt(s)
I'm fearing it might be that too, RockAZ.. However, AXSPwr has good advice to go right back to the dealership about this without doing anything to the bike. Otherwise, I would have said to pull the timing covers to have a look.
Best of luck with this, DomWS. Keep us posted..

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
I think your dealership either doesn't understand what happened, or they're full of it. Nothing about a bad battery would cause the drivetrain to lock up. Your drivetrain has seized up, either the engine or the transmission. Take it back to the shop. Don't touch a wrench to that bike, just get it to the dealer. They broke it, they need to diagnose the problem and make it right.

Record every interaction you have with them. Maybe you won't need it, but better safe than sorry. Most dealerships are good about dealing with comebacks, even catastrophic ones, but you've basically created the ideal situation for them to not be. Don't ever have major service work done then let a vehicle sit for months immediately afterwards.

When the problem occurred while you were riding, did the drivetrain immediately lock up solid (skidding rear wheel, etc.) or did it just gradually slow the bike to a stop? I know you said it locked up, but did it immediately lock up, or gradually lock up?
IMO I'd want to understand what's wrong before I take it back... it sounds like they may have fubar'd the desmo service and I'd want to know that's the case when I give it to them.

Reactions: t-bills

·
Registered
294 Posts
IMO I'd want to understand what's wrong before I take it back... it sounds like they may have fubar'd the desmo service and I'd want to know that's the case when I give it to them.
Anything you do here is a risk, because it's been so long since the service was performed. We also don't know exactly how many miles were put in the bike after the service. He said immediately, but does that mean 5 miles, 50, or more?

Personally, I would do nothing that might potentially give the dealer the idea I had tinkered with the bike after the service. If I wanted to know what was wrong before I took it back to them, I'd drop it off at an independent shop that would agree to thoroughly document their work.

It's just a bad situation. Any shop, even a good one, is going to be suspicious of a comeback 5 months after the service was performed.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I think your dealership either doesn't understand what happened, or they're full of it. Nothing about a bad battery would cause the drivetrain to lock up.
Ya never know what the OP told the dealership, so it's hard to be critical of them without really knowing what the phonecall actually sounded like. If the dealer took away from the OP's call that the bike "won't start" .... well, it's easy to see what I'm getting at.

... "bike had problems starting. once started, 5kms later engine stalled when accelerating from about 40kph and back wheel locked. bike would not start again" (quoting the OP). If I rec'd a phone call from a customer and was told that, I'd probably conclude the most frequent failure as well (battery issues). I mean, they have to say something since the idea is to get the bike in the dealership to properly troubleshoot the issue. So telling the OP that the battery was probably part of his problem, just to at least get him in the shop with the bike so they can lay eyes on it.

Hard to say what went on there, but it's something to consider ....

·
Sophomore Member
2,888 Posts
I’m with DaveK. A hour of diagnosis may save you days of back and forth. It’s also a lot harder to prove fault if you haven’t laid eyes on the problem yourself. I’m not calling all dealerships lying, cheating scumbags, but some are. And when someone is accusing you of a very expensive error, it’s easy to find a reason it’s not your fault instead of owning the problem. Knowledge is your friend.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
Not to contradict myself... but I also sort of agree with Rex Coil ... the OP's information provided was not even remotely sufficient for any kind of a 'high probability' diagnostic... and given the lack of relevant details I'm guessing the OP is not someone who's into mechanical stuff (not being critical... not every wants to deal with this shit ;-) ) - so won't easily determine the cause on his own. While I'd want to understand what's wrong with it before going back to the service location - I think it may not be worth paying another shop to diagnose - I'm not sure it will make a difference (unless the first shop is VERY stand up and also recorded the mileage so they know he's put almost no miles on since the service).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Given that nearly half a year has passed since the service was performed, unless the owner can prove that the bike has a very small number of miles on it since then, like single or low double digits, you'd be hard pressed to find any dealership that would willingly accept that as a service comeback. Not for a potentially blown engine. If the bike is still under warranty (another thing we don't know), Ducati might be willing to help if the dealer won't.

If the bike isn't under warranty, he's basically at the mercy of that dealer to either own up to a service mistake, or he fixes it out of pocket. Hard to see much of an option C existing here, so I'm not sure what's gained by digging in to the bike and figuring out what's wrong before it goes back to the servicing dealer. Now you know what's wrong. Unless you can fix it yourself, what's that worth? If anything, they'll just be less likely to own up to a mistake when they see evidence the engine was recently opened.

If the dealer wants to get out of treating this as a comeback, they probably will. Some dealerships even specifically warrant service work for a number of days, just to avoid situations like this.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If the Desmo service was bad, the bike would not have run OK initially; it had 5km plus "out of town for coffee and gas" before it locked up It does not sound good and as stated already, blaming battery power for a seized motor is stupid; the shop should know better. On another forum, a girl with a 959 Panigale had a locked rear wheel that was ultimately diagnosed as a cooling system failure; the rad had been punctured by rocks and loss of coolant resulted in an overheated motor. It's feasible that the OPs engine fired up and ran fine until it got too hot and maybe the high temp warning was simply missed. A quick check of the surge tank level should help diagnose this issue; it's possible that the shop failed to fill up the coolant system after the service. Good luck DomWS.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If the Desmo service was bad, the bike would not have run OK initially; it had 5km plus "out of town for coffee and gas" before it locked up It does not sound good and as stated already, blaming battery power for a seized motor is stupid; the shop should know better.
Ok, once more .... you nor any one else in this thread other than the OP heard what the phonecall sounded like. For all we know the OP made it sound like he locked up the rear wheel (with the rear brake) and the bike died, then it would not restart. Having owned and operated a warranty and repair center for over fifteen years (industrial power equipment) I dealt with professional users like contractors, but I also dealt with mainstream consumer public. Folks would call up, and provide some senseless explanation or unlikely situation, and rather than spending fifteen minutes on the phone attempting to tget the customer to use real words to describe the real problem, I would just tell them the obvious part was obviously needing attention but they'd need to bring it in for an honest and accurate troubleshooting. It's nearly impossible to troubleshoot something over the phone, so many times you cover the obvious thing while explaining that there is most likely more and a proper diagnosis is needed.

Since none of us were present for the OP's conversation with the dealer it's impossible to know what was said and what transpired. Until then, I'm unwilling to throw rocks at the dealer in this case until damning information ... credible damning information ... is presented. I'm less willing to bust out the pitchforks and torches until more information is offered.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ok, once more .... you nor any one else in this thread other than the OP heard what the phonecall sounded like. For all we know the OP made it sound like he locked up the rear wheel (with the rear brake) and the bike died, then it would not restart.
Because locking up the rear brake kills your battery?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts