Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my mts1200 used, came with the decat pipe and a termi slip on.

I have other loud bikes, this one doesn't have to be the loudest...so I'm searching for a stock muffler to go back on. No point in putting a baffle on the thing and loosing a bunch of power right?

Looking at the parts fiche...it seems as if the stock muffler just clamps onto the pipe without a hanger of sorts....is that correct? I have a road trip next weekend and want to make sure I have no surprises....

·
Registered
750 Posts
the stock muffler will still be loud with the decat pipe, or so I've read here.
+1

To the OP, go to YouTube and listen to sound clips of MTS12's w/ a decat and stock pipe....it's LOUD. The baffle is in the cat, the stock pipe is just a straight through tube.

If you really want quieter, get a slip on with a removable dB killer. You might lose 1-2 HP, but in the grand scheme of things that's nothing and you'll get a much quieter bike.

-SM

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confused now...thought I had read that the stock can wasn't nearly as loud as the termi (both with the decat pipe).

The baffle that is sold has reports of choking the bike down 10-20hp...I'm assuming that is from stock.

I'm guessing the termi can is just so short it does a poor job of muffling anything at all....probably why the full system has a can twice as long.

Looks like it might be time to fab up a pair of cans so I can get the sound/looks/performance I want.

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...I had a baffle in a box in the garage...tossed it in. At least it at idle it is better...test ride shortly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Test ride confirms it for me...down a smidge on power but the sound, especially under decel is much improved.
Tells me it needs a larger can...which I can build. Stay tuned for a one off "slip on". I'll sell the termi after its done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wife said the same thing :D

I mean, who doesn't want a touring bike to make your ears bleed everytime you start it/accelerate/decel :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts