Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How hard it would be to tear the swingarm's black coating making it look aluminum? Would it have to be done with a sandpaper or there is a more efficient way to do it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You could try taking it to your local powdercoat shop, and they can use 'burn-off'. That'll take most of the coating off.
Or you could use a fine abrasive (sandblasting style) to get the coating off then use a series off progressively finer sandpaper to achieve the monodirectional aluminum look.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Depending on the swingarm coating, soda blasting is one of the least destructive ways of removing paint. It also leaves a coating of soda the prevents oxidation, this is usually rinsed off with water when you are ready to prep the surface for prime/paint. If the swingarm was powdercoated, then alum oxide should cut thru it and remove it. Any abrasive other than soda must be done carefully so as not to affect the metal. Im no expert in this field, but i did stay at a holiday inn express.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would actually guess it was powdercoated/painted. If not we would have already probably seen a lot of threads about fading swingarms... and I can't see ducati going to the expense of hard ano'ing the swingarms.

·
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, it's not painted or powdercoated. It is anodized.
So since the stock swingarm is anodized then the proper way to "revert it back" to an aluminum look (to remove the anodizing) is to use NaOH. What kind of shops deal with NaOH?...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Might be easier/cheaper to get on ebay and find a non coated 1098 swinger.

edit... I take that back. Most are in the 600 - 800 range. Except for that nickel plated one for $396 :confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
So since the stock swingarm is anodized then the proper way to "revert it back" to an aluminum look (to remove the anodizing) is to use NaOH. What kind of shops deal with NaOH?...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Quick search on google shows this supplier

Eastwood Anodize Remover Qt

But I would not know the finish it would leave???

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
just get out the sandpaper! or take it to a sandblaster if you don't want to do it yourself - cheap and fast and easy - use whatever grit you need to get the finish you want...

·
Registered
657 Posts
just get out the sandpaper! or take it to a sandblaster if you don't want to do it yourself - cheap and fast and easy - use whatever grit you need to get the finish you want...
I think this is pretty solid advice. It really wouldn't take much to sand it down to the bare skin, again.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
its anonized for sure...

it will look fantastic if its made by hand from someone with great patience... :)

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Depending on the type of anodizing, spray-on oven cleaner may work pretty well. I've used it in the past to remove anodized finishes.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
How hard it would be to tear the swingarm's black coating making it look aluminum? Would it have to be done with a sandpaper or there is a more efficient way to do it?
Still lookin' to save some weight Sputz?...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts