Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may not be the most appropriate section for this question but ...

I am getting ready for my first track day in april with the MAD Cornerspeed trip @ VIR. I need to invest in a back protector, though I'm somewhat on a budget basis. I most likely will only do one or maybe 2 track days this year, and look into it more when I have a real job (grad student stipends dont exactly support the ducati habbit very well) so I mainly want something to work for a few times, and I'll invest in something more substantial if I decide to get into track days regularly.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Icon feild vest since knee draggers has a pretty good deal (88 shipped) link to KD

anyone used this before? thoughts on comfort/ restricted motion? any better reccomendations around that price range? Thanks for the input/advice!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Back Protection Is #1

Consider This Thought....
.......how Much Is Your Back Worth To You? Sounds Stupid And I Know You've Heard It Before But In All Reality You Should Be Wearing A Back Protector On The Street. Dainese Full Tail To Head Is My Choice And It Is A Matter Of Size Counts And The Better The Fit The More Confident You'll Ride. By Wearing Protection It Will Allow You To Consintrate On The Task At Hand And Not You're Aries... When You WeAr The Right Equipment You'll Be In The Right Frame Of Mind. Side Note Wearing One Helps With Correct Pouster And That Transfer Into Better Lap Time. Go Get'em

D

·
0 Posts
I fully agree with StavesacredarK, wear a back protector NOT only on track but whenever you ride (if it's a good one and fits you right, you won't even notice it's there, nor will it be unconvenient at all).

Personaly I have the Wave 2 from Dainese which I (unfortunately) have also crash tested it last summer :eek:. It performed excellently and I'm still here with my back in one piece (the back protector is still usuable but maybe will be replaced when my $$$ get a little better). Also Spidi's back protector is very good (I have riden with one that a friend gave me for a ride). Both these cost (here in Greece that is) around 100-130 euros.

Doc

P.S: when you get used to riding with a backprotector on, you'll wonder how you've been riding without one :).

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Doc said:
Personaly I have the Wave 2 from Dainese which I (unfortunately) have also crash tested it last summer :eek:. It performed excellently and I'm still here with my back in one piece (the back protector is still usuable but maybe will be replaced when my $$$ get a little better). Also Spidi's back protector is very good (I have riden with one that a friend gave me for a ride). Both these cost (here in Greece that is) around 100-130 euros.
Be careful here. Dainese uses an aluminum structure inside of their back protectors. They are designed to crush on impact and thus are single use.

Tony

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Alpinestars makes a nice one I see a good amount of people use for about $125. I have a Dainese one that came with my suit. I hate it because it only has one band that holds it in place around my gut. Maybe somehow it attaches to the suit but I haven't figured it out.

Here's one, not sure of size for sale on the Cornerspeed forums for $80.

http://www.cornerspeed.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=228

If you're not sure of size get one directly from kneedraggers.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_Tech_Back_Protector--35-650-402-11.html

Kneedraggers can advise you and is real good on returns because of sizing problems. At most you pay for shipping to return. Just give them your suit size and maybe they can get it right.

Apagios,

Make sure also all the stuff is done to your bike as Cornerspeed says. Needs safety wire, water wetter (no coolant), sidestand removed or wired up, etc.

Also make sure your helmet has no crash damage and is 5 years old or less.

You may have read all this but you don't want to get down there and told not to ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
dainese wave back protector

i HIGHLY reccomend the dainese wave back protector as well.
it'll cost you more ($189) but it's worth eating ramen for a month to get. ( i understand the student budget!!!)
i have a wave back protector and i NEVER ride without it.
i love it. comfortable, breathable and i totally trust it to work. it is one-time use (crash use, that is) as mentioned above but is completely worth it!

btw- they come in 3 different lengths wave1, wave2, wave3, and each of those come in two different waist sizes medium or large. i wear a wave 2 medium, and am about 5'9" and 130. boyfriend wears a wave 3 medium, and is about 6'5" and 160. medium waist'll fit pretty good size, but if you're worried just get a large. i can even wear a large, it's just got a little bit on the excessive side material on the waist strap.

they also make the same construction back protector that fits inside their jackets (and many others, i've tried!) that is called the backspace wave g1 or g2. you would need a g2 unless you are shorter than 5'4".....

hope that was helpfull....

kat

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I started off with a low-budget "UFO" brand that I picked up ($50), somewhere a few years ago. I don't even think I took it on the track before I bought my Bohn. I love my Bohn, though.....and I don't wear it enough.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info everyone, the link to the old ducati.ms thread and the link to the sportbikes.net in that helped a lot. I didnt know much of anything about the CE specs. That velocity gear protector is lookin pretty good, still gonna check around for a bit.

D

·
0 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Be careful here. Dainese uses an aluminum structure inside of their back protectors. They are designed to crush on impact and thus are single use.

Tony
You're absolutely right Tony. Actualy after my crash, I emailed Dainese and attached a couple of pics of the back-protector because exactly of what you said. They replied that it was still good to use, so I'm still wearing it.

Doc

·
Registered
835 Posts
yikes, i better do some research is well, i want the best one!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
T Pro /Forcefield finshed the highest in independent european tests.
The material they used absorbed energy like putty.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've got a Dainese wave, which I like - a word of warning though. I bought mine to wear under leathers which I had bought as a 'snug' fit and the back protector it made them uncomfortably tight - especially after a few years that the leather appears to have 'shrunk' ;) (funny that, I thought Leather should 'give') so if you're getting a back protector my advice (now) would be trying it on with the leathers. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I use the new Prexport. I just got it, but it feels solid enough.

What all the others are saying is true. ALWAYS wear a backprotector. The life you save will almost certainly be your own.

//amullo

·
Registered
407 Posts
moto said:
T Pro /Forcefield finshed the highest in independent european tests.
The material they used absorbed energy like putty.

That's why I bought it - but there is some concern from a club I ride in that they prefer a protector that has rigid plates that prevent any possibility of bending backwards...

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
hank said:
That's why I bought it - but there is some concern from a club I ride in that they prefer a protector that has rigid plates that prevent any possibility of bending backwards...
That seems to me like they are expecting a back protector to protect them from spinal cord injuries. That is not a realistic expectation. Besides, I'm not sure how much rigid armor would prevent bending too far backwards anyway. Seems to me the force would likely just result in the protector moving upwards as the spine moves backwards.

Tony

·
Registered
407 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
That seems to me like they are expecting a back protector to protect them from spinal cord injuries. That is not a realistic expectation. Besides, I'm not sure how much rigid armor would prevent bending too far backwards anyway. Seems to me the force would likely just result in the protector moving upwards as the spine moves backwards.

Tony
EXACTLY! It would seem obvious that there is probably no protector on the market that would completey protect against every type of situation and still allow enough freedom of movement to actually ride a motorcycle.

It's unrealistic and they would rather people buy the brand THEY SELL, even though it ISN'T CE Level 2... crazy stuff...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
New for 2006 leathers that have front, rear, side, top and bottom airbags built into them. These leathers detect when your rear end has no contact with a motorcycle at over 20mph, and then all airbags will deploy.

Coming soon 2007 will be matching gloves with airbags in the palms and back of hands.

Coming soon 2008 will be boots with airbags all around. Kevlar coated for maximum protection.

*All items above can be ordered "ribbed", for her pleasure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts