Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much consideration I've chosen a different brand for my replacement bike with the insurance payout on my '16 Multi. Deposited and completed paperwork on a left over 2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Wanted something more comfortable than the DVT, with bigger fuel capacity, and easy to maintain DIY. The Stelvio does that. 8.5 gal (32 liter) tank, suitable ergo's for taller riders, easy valve lash adjustments, and more.

Yes, Guzzi dealers are even fewer and farther between than Ducati. Yes, Guzzi is discontinuing the Stelvio after model yr 2017. Also needed to stay within the insurance payout. Sale price $11,495 made that happen as well.

The Multistrada 1200, after having owned two of them, is a fantastic motorcycle. But for me right now, this is what I want.

Here's some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
That's a nice looking bike and a good price.

Good luck with it and safe riding...don't be a stranger...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats!! Really great and under apreciated bikes. I traded my Stelvio in on the dvt because of the cornering abs, a safety feature I thought I needed, and the cruise control on the dvt is super for long rides. But if guzzi updates the stelvio with the abs and say the suspension of the aprillia capo nord, the duc will go!
Do yourself a favour, and have it rexxered. I also added the MIVV edge slip-on and bmc filter, which really helps smoothing out the (magnificent) engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
And P.S. Protect the wiring in the aux lights, could stop the entire bike!! Go look at the guzzi forums, they have some tutorials on what to do, and since you wanted some DIY...........

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And P.S. Protect the wiring in the aux lights, could stop the entire bike!! Go look at the guzzi forums, they have some tutorials on what to do, and since you wanted some DIY...........
Yep, thanks. Been over on Wild Guzzi Moto Guzzi and guys there mentioned the aux lights and getting a $12 kit that puts an inline fuse between them and the main box, also something about greasing the swing arm bearings because Guzzi doesn't. Apparently the aux light wiring rubs through, shorts and blows the main fuse which stops the alternator charging the battery and you eventually drain the battery. Super simple fix though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
cool bike

Sounds like a great deal, on a really cool bike. Did you add the extras? or was that in the deal?

I really like Guzzi's, they are a unique breed for sure.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
the ultimate in cool when it comes to uprights......a bit heavy for my likes, but i really do love 'em (had one some while ago)......consider a penske shock for the rear if you're not happy with the stock unit, and consider losing the anchor of a cat converter/exhaust on that thing.

i hope you enjoy yours! ;)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Congratulations! I had my Guzzi for 5 years, it had a lot of character and got a lot of thumbs up from people.

While you're on Wild Guzzi, ask about engine remapping. I did mine with maps that a Wild Guzzi member in New Zealand develops, it made a world of difference. Easy to do, easy to undo, the dealers don't seem to care. You just need $40 worth of cables, GuzziDiag software, and the map.

Bonus tip: do avoid Guzzi Tech in California.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Wait, what? Is that the same that hosts the Guzzi Tech forum?
I had nothing but great experiences with them. The gent really knows his stuff.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Wait, what? Is that the same that hosts the Guzzi Tech forum?
Yes, the same. If you ask around Wild Guzzi, some people will say he's OK, but many people, particularly the senior people, will not. I've done business with him and can say that his business practices, commitment, and ethics are questionable. The people who do engine mapping say he knows f___ all about tuning.

Ponder this: he solicits $5 donations to support his web site, and lives in a $14mil house in Malibu Canyon.

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
Apologies offered before post...
How long before you wreck this one????
Come on , yes uncalled for, but funny???
Perhaps not.
Good luck and they must be a good bike if you got one,
As with any bike the dealer or mechanic can make or break a good experience.
Hope it serves you well and you love it.
Change is good and a breath of fresh air.
Enjoy and again sry for yanking your chain....:wink2:>:)

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had a 4 valve head Griso Bonaventure, great bike, loverly engine, i did have to do the rear shock, Guzzi has a tendency to underspring their bikes. Hey a question, has your bike got the newer roller tappets, or the problem some flat tappets?, I'm picking the roller tappets, i think only the Sport, now has the flat tappets. Great bikes, loved mine, should have kept her, wife also loved it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a 4 valve head Griso Bonaventure, great bike, loverly engine, i did have to do the rear shock, Guzzi has a tendency to underspring their bikes. Hey a question, has your bike got the newer roller tappets, or the problem some flat tappets?, I'm picking the roller tappets, I think only the Sport, now has the flat tappets. Great bikes, loved mine, should have kept her, wife also loved it.

It's 4 valves per cylinder, roller tappets. Guzzi switched to roller tappets in the 1200's starting with model year 2012 I believe. The flat tappet motors were experiencing failures. They also beefed up the rear spring on the Stelvios in 2013 I think.

There is a software called GuzziDiag that when you get the right cable you can turn off "service due" warnings on the info panel. Or so I hear.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More of a burnt red hue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats on the new ride - Guzzis have a ton of character and are supposed to be pretty damned reliable minus a couple of quirks (like the aux lights on your Stelvio). Have fun with it! And if you ever ride through Cincinnati on your way east, there's a great Guzzi shop here called Cadre Cycles. The owner, Enzo, is a cool dude.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I recently did a local IMOC ride (Italian Motorcycle Owners Club) i took my my 1290GT, but i met a guy there who i chatted to regularly, he was on a new 1200 Griso, in loverly black, he told me he has 11 Guzzis, but soon to be 10, one was in the process of being sold, but at one stage he owned 17. Really neat guy, lots of history, he was 74 years young.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts