Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 15 year absence from the Supersport fold, I finally found one I wanted.

A '95 900SS/CR, 12,200 miles. Needs the carbs cleaned.

I brought it home last night.

It already has a new battery and a CF clutch cover. I already have a few parts in the shed for it...adjustable fork (2 sets), 2 good shocks, 2 different aluminum swingarms, a 5.5 rear rim, a CF front fender, a Barnett clutch basket, 2 different ventilated clutch covers, and lower clip-ons.

Need to order some belts, check the oil strainer, etc...

Anyone wanna buy a Monster?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, well, well...

Upon further investigation, the chain is too short.

Previous owner had a new chain and a 41T sprocket put on a year or 2 ago. Axle is all the way forward, swingarm won't compress and go over center.:mad:

I can't go for a test ride, I'm just gonna put a gal of gas with some injector cleaner in it (after draining the tank) and run it long enough to get it into the carbs. It started when I looked at it, but it surprised him and I told him to turn it off and not suck any more crap up into them. It can set until I procure another chain.

I just remembered....I have some European needles for this in my toolbox somewhere. I got them before the Cagiva guys quit ordering them. The bikes run real good with them and a pair of slip-ons.

Gotta go look for them..

(I might change my sig line to "Save the Supersports!)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Looks like an aftermarket seat too!

I'd say we both got pretty good deals on 900CRs! Accept you've got a whole truckload of extras you've been hoarding for a decade and a half. Excellent foundations for building up really fun bikes.

These things are just mega bad ass motuh sickles.

ROOMbah ..... ROOOOOOMMMMbah ROOMbah room room ROOMbah!

:laugh:

Good catch mang. I'm happy for you. "get on your bad motor scooter and ride"

:wink2:

·
Registered
363 Posts
the seat appears to be a Corbin, which I personally love.--I am still fighting the urge to purchase a solo tailpiece for my 91 900ss lol--I'm sure as soon as I get mine running exactly as I want it to-- the little voices inside my head are going to be taunting me to get that solo seat lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
the seat appears to be a Corbin, which I personally love.--I am still fighting the urge to purchase a solo tailpiece for my 91 900ss lol--I'm sure as soon as I get mine running exactly as I want it to-- the little voices inside my head are going to be taunting me to get that solo seat lol
Deja Vu...

I have one of the most comfortable seats that came with my bike. A two-tone Corbin Gunfighter. I just spent a fortune (total) to have a Sharkskinz #1 badged Solo Tail produced and sent off to Jason 'Artistimo' for painting, along with a vintage OEM front fender for a race stripe. I just know its not going to be anywhere near as comfortable, but its the look I want without sacrificing anything stock.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of my buddies don't want an old air cooled bike with carbs. :laugh:

I wanted one more slabby SS before I shuffle off this mortal world. And to restomod it, tastefully.

I see too many of them being attacked by kids with hacksaws to make cafe bikes, I just wanted to preserve this one.

Let them cut up the Monsters, there's plenty of them...

(Oh, and this bike is a '97...I don't know why he thought it was a '95???)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Most of my buddies don't want an old air cooled bike with carbs. :laugh:

I wanted one more slabby SS before I shuffle off this mortal world. And to restomod it, tastefully.

I see too many of them being attacked by kids with hacksaws to make cafe bikes, I just wanted to preserve this one.

Let them cut up the Monsters, there's plenty of them...

(Oh, and this bike is a '97...I don't know why he thought it was a '95???)
I feel the same way. I'm not doing anything that cannot be undone and put back to stock to my own '96 900CR.

:wink2:

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Like the physicians pledge “ Do no harm “ . I don’t hack anything on any of my bikes , I don’t alter a part that shows unless I have a spare.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Like the physicians pledge “ Do no harm “ . I don’t hack anything on any of my bikes , I don’t alter a part that shows unless I have a spare.
I sorta feel the same way....but it really depends on the bike. I say that because I have an old oil boiler GSXR. In some ways, it is like my project 900 Supersport. Both are air/oil cooled. Both have carbs. There were a bazillion air/oil cooled GSXRs around......once.

Mine was a wreck when I bought it back in the mid 90s. I figured I'd fix it up, put some go fast Yoshimura parts on it and ride the ever lovin' snot out of it. I did some of that, particularly the riding the snot out of it part.

Then life happened and I didn't touch the thing for 10 years. I decided at some point to turn it into a track bike....and abandoned that idea fairly quickly. Then it was going to be a father/son restoration....until my son lost interest.

It's been hacked on, beat on, modified and re-modified and left to sit in my garage for much of the last 20 years. Now, you don't see them around anymore. At least not much. Values have been rising for a couple of years at least.

Not that they're worth all that much but a clean unmolested original is worth far more now than say, 10-15 years ago. Who'd a thunk that?

Mine is a later model, a 1992. Last year of the old oil boiler. And worst body graphics of all of them. I've toyed with restoration to the OEM 1992 colors and all.....but can't bring myself to do it.

My plan now is to resto-mod it to a 1989 body and paint scheme. Who cares if it was original that way, at least it won't look like an ADD afflicted pre-teen with a crayon was let loose in the design room.

Like I wrote already...it does depend on the bike....sean

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats, lovely bike. Can’t believe someone would leave it with a too short chain, it’s a good thing you noticed before going for a test ride.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice...I love the minimal fairings for work. Being new to Ducatis (just bought the 06 ST3s last sept.), what makes this particular carb/air cooled one desirable for you guys.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nice... what makes this particular carb/air cooled one desirable for you guys.
Bare simplicity. Just the necessities and nothing more. That about covers it.
l

Well there is that. Simplicity is rare thing these days. For me though it is a great deal more than that alone. Mine is a full fairing model so a bit less simple in basic appearance.

However the 900 SS/SP and Superlight were the bikes I lusted after in my more formative riding years. At least until the 916 came along and upped the game into a whole new level.

Now that I am some 25 years beyond that time, and my sons are grown with their own careers I have a little money to spend on myself now. I really wanted to ride the bikes I lusted after way back in my early and mid 20s.

As I already got my iconic Tamburini Ducati with my 996 (the one you saw at WCM) my next target was a 900 Supersport of some description. I figure “if not now, when?” I want to be able to enjoy them both for what they are before I’m too old to assume that riding position.

I think, if my wife concurs; that once my 900 Supersport project is done, my next Ducati is a Monster. I might have to buy HER a 749 in order to get the Monster but hey, I’m willing to make that sacrifice 😁 ..... sean

1 - 20 of 50 Posts