Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker/ first time poster here..

This forum was instrumental in my last bike purchase - a 2016 Hypermotard 939 SP. It was everything I wanted in a bike and I had a great time doing hoodrat things around the streets of Houston on it

I sold the Hyper about a year ago and regretted it almost immediately but have yet to buy another bike. I have started thinking about it more seriously and looked at another 2016 SP a few days ago that had the termi added and nearly pulled the trigger but just couldnt make myself do it. Something feels weird about buying the exact same bike over again and I have always loved the look of the first generation Streetfighters

My question to you all is do I:
1) snag another hyper SP and wheelie off into the sunset to always wonder what if?
2) continue the search for a low mileage SFS or SF 848? - how was riding position/comfort vs the new v4 SF? I have not sat on a first gen SF in >7 years
3) try something with 1290cc and a lot of orange?

I primarily just do backroads rides on the weekends and like to rack up some miles so supersports aren't something i'm interested in and have a short commute into the office so will probably ride it into the office once in a while when the weather is nice..

Budget is in the $10k neighborhood but flexible..

Looking forward to your thoughts and to being back on 2 wheels again - Thanks

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
My heavily biased response is to get a 1st gen Hypermotard. There is an absolutely trick one in the classifieds with all sorts of nice upgrades to the motor and otherwise.
I have no valuable input on the SF.
I tried orange. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Others love it, but they are broken people. Chuck.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Orange? Man, if you want opinions on that............

I support above said. No other bike is as raw and misunderstood as a Hyper 1100. I wont even try and waste my time typing out my feelings. I will however suggest getting a test ride and seeing whats what. Sure the KTM is this that and the other. Not a thing on this planet strokes me like the Hyper. Up to you.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Do I need to bust out pictures of the cams from my KTM again?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Your on a Ducati forum they will bash the KTM on a KTM forum they will bash Ducati's
They both have had more than enough issues and just plain Lemon bikes. More than a
few owners here ride both. I use to say I would never sell my 1100s Hyper it is a fun raw
Bike no doubt about it But after a few months of owning the 1290 SDR I just kind of lost
interest in it and finally sold it. They are both great bikes that have a lot in common
hooligans at heart and will try to get you arrested if you push them. For me the 1290
could do everything the Hyper could but the Hyper could not do the same the engine
on the 1290 is just something special.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the responses. Really appreciate the perspectives on this stuff - especially important when some of the bikes under consideration arent just sitting on showroom floors at the dealers around town

Sounds like the only logical thing to do here is do some more shoppin and test rides... poor me!

The Hyper 1100S is something I had never even considered but certainly will now...

Anyone have thoughts on the 1st gen SF?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on the 1st gen SF?
Deoend who you ask. I have a 2010 SF-S bought new and I don't see any bike tempting me to change ride yet. It have been a long journey setting it up perfect, specially the suspension. It rides far better now than new.

I will keep it until major mechanical problem and then see if I part it out or rebuild / transplant 1198. Close to 70k miles now and still pulling strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deoend who you ask. I have a 2010 SF-S bought new and I don't see any bike tempting me to change ride yet. It have been a long journey setting it up perfect, specially the suspension. It rides far better now than new.

I will keep it until major mechanical problem and then see if I part it out or rebuild / transplant 1198. Close to 70k miles now and still pulling strong.
Thanks! Liking what I'm hearing here...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts