Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My motorcycle sounds like a big gravel truck when i am stopping because my back break makes a loud moaning sound. WTF?!?! is causing this and can i do something to make the sound go away?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Stop using so much rear brake ;-) Seriously, you shouldn’t need to use much (some don’t use it at all) and if you’re relaying on the rear to do most of the stopping it will howl in complaint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Brakes sometimes howl when they are at the verge of lockup. But if it's happening every time you use them maybe it's something else - I presumed you've checked the pads and there is still plenty left. If the pads somehow got contaminated with some chemical you were using to clean the bike it might be causing the weird sound. Maybe you should replace them and see if the sound persists.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
That is a frequent comment. What model do you have? Clean the pads and disc. Also, apply a disc quiet to the back of the pads may help. The disc quiet is available at most auto parts stores. It will need to be re-applied as it does not last forever.

Dave Harhay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just barely touch my back break only when making slow turns in the parking lot, or the last few feet when stoping. I get the sound as soon as i touch my back break. I will try leaning it and applying the stop squeak. As always, thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Tank said:
I just barely touch my back break only when making slow turns in the parking lot, or the last few feet when stoping. I get the sound as soon as i touch my back break. I will try leaning it and applying the stop squeak. As always, thanks for the help.

I have the exact same issue on my 999.... :confused: Guess I'll go to the auto parts store tomorrow, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I've read elsewhere that if you bevel the leading edge of the brake pad it will eliminate the howl. I have the same problem on my front but only occasionally with light pressure just before a complete stop. I'm sure you've seen pads already with a beveled edge, may be why they are that way?

Geoff

'05 ST3
'00 Gran Canyon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
If spring ever comes.

I have the same noise when applying the rear brake on my new ST4s. The dealer told me, at the 600 mile service last week, that it was because the chain was too tight. Didn't make sense to me but when the snow goes off I'll check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
I had the same problem on my ST4s ABS when it was new. Tried cleaning, tried scuffing, no change. Replaced the pads and it all went away. Now I can't get it to make any noise at all. I also use softer pads that do not wear away my rotors so quickly. Pads are cheap and easy to replace. Rotors are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Sikkenskid said:
I had the same problem on my ST4s ABS when it was new. Tried cleaning, tried scuffing, no change. Replaced the pads and it all went away. Now I can't get it to make any noise at all. I also use softer pads that do not wear away my rotors so quickly. Pads are cheap and easy to replace. Rotors are not.
I got it (at rear) about 600 km after putting on new pads (EBC HH - great stopping power!).

I decided, who cares. It tends to be intermitent - so perhaps just dust? Mostly only use rear brake when I want to maximise braking and get extra stability, or on gravel etc.

Doc
 

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
Joined
·
879 Posts
dharhay said:
That is a frequent comment. What model do you have? Clean the pads and disc. Also, apply a disc quiet to the back of the pads may help. The disc quiet is available at most auto parts stores. It will need to be re-applied as it does not last forever.

Dave Harhay
The disk brake quite worked on my monster, I have the same issue with the ST and plan on doing it to the St when I get some time. The dealer had it for some warranty issues and they cleaned and scuffed the pad and cleaned the rotors and the noise came back on my way home. The dealer told me they couldn't do the disc brake quite for some reason but it should work (winking at me)..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
681 Posts
Wahoo said:
I have the same noise when applying the rear brake on my new ST4s. The dealer told me, at the 600 mile service last week, that it was because the chain was too tight. Didn't make sense to me but when the snow goes off I'll check it out.

it could be time for you to look for a more competent shop, maybe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
My 2005 ST3 did the very same thing at first. I'm not sure that mine would howl, but it definately would squeek. Mostly when coming to a complete stop at stop lights or stop signs. I did not notice the sound when at higher speeds. And, the sound was created with light to moderate pressure.

I did nothing and the sound or squeek went away. I guessing the pads just need to be scuffed and settled in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Lack of use, or soft pressure on the brake lever can cause glazing of the friction material and the rotor. One way of taking care of that is to remove the pads and/or the rotor and clean them with fine sand-paper, scotch bright or....

Another way is to use your brakes themselves. When I first got my ST4S-ABS, I had the same exact issue. Kind of howling sound when gently pressing on the brake pedal.

I found an empty road and tried the rear brake pedal using full pressure (Not too much to lock the brakes but a lot more than gently pressing the pedal). It took about 4 application of the brakes coming to a full stop from high speed to remove the glazing and stop the brakes from making that howling noise.

-Fariborz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Fariborz said:
Lack of use, or soft pressure on the brake lever can cause glazing of the friction material and the rotor. One way of taking care of that is to remove the pads and/or the rotor and clean them with fine sand-paper, scotch bright or....

Another way is to use your brakes themselves. When I first got my ST4S-ABS, I had the same exact issue. Kind of howling sound when gently pressing on the brake pedal.

I found an empty road and tried the rear brake pedal using full pressure (Not too much to lock the brakes but a lot more than gently pressing the pedal). It took about 4 application of the brakes coming to a full stop from high speed to remove the glazing and stop the brakes from making that howling noise.

-Fariborz
That makes sense to me because my back brake would only howl at slow speeds using light to moderate pressure. At 5500 miles, I must have de-glazed the rotors.

I believe the sound went away at 1000-1500 miles. Either way, I haven't noticed it for a long time now. FWIW, the back brake is really useless. However, I still use it in certain situations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
My 04 ST4s has the same problem, but worse yet the brembo's are top drawer but the thing stops like a truck. Have been very dissatisfied with the braking power of this bike. Just came off a sport bike so like the one finger braking of racing pads.

Changed the pads up front, took 15 min to a set of Carbon Lorraine pads, they work much better, but they are not as good as the sport bike pads or brakes for that matter.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top