Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Apparently he has just a few sets left.
JCIII

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just got a set from him a couple weeks ago. I do believe they help with the stock screen, however you have to find the height that works for you.
JCIII

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a set, my brother got 2 sets. These are for a mate and I could not find the details.
I will see if he wants to deal with you direct and send you his email Larry if that is OK.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
I use the shorty screen for everything except really long trips, love the clean airflow but it would get tiring after 6-8 hours I think, the aztec spacers make a 80mph feel and sound like 40mph; on my recent trip I had extended phone calls with the wife while riding in the mid 80s and 90s (mph not temp)

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
I have a second hand set coming; I'll throw my 2 bits in after I mount and try them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took my dp touring screen off to clean both sides. Thought I would try it with out the spacers. For me the spacers are an improvement. Putting them back on!

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
I installed a set a week ago and I would say they yield a modest improvement but are not a total solution. I do not have the full experience with them yet, but I have not found the magic position so experimentation will continue.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
posted in wrong thread

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I just recently got the spacers and had mostly modest hope that they would make any appreciable difference.

I've ridden naked bikes and I'm familiar with the air flow without restriction.

The regular screen allows quite a bit of flow and particularly, buffeting around the helmet. Sometimes shaking my hat pretty hard.

I installed the spacers and have noticed that the buffeting is pretty much, non existant. I'm 5' 10" and about average in the torso, I think it mostly moved over me. It's not as clean as my old BMW R1100 but even at triple digit speeds is much improved over stock.

I'm a happy guy. I appreciate the air in the summer and figure thats where most of my riding season exists. So as long as the air flow no longer rattles my teeth, I'm in great shape.

Walt

·
Registered
30 Posts
New MTS owner and noticed right away the buffeting (yes pretty clear via search that this is an issue). Ordered up the Aztec spacers today so after this week, should have them to do a comparison. 6' / 32" inseam and Arai full face.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
New MTS owner and noticed right away the buffeting (yes pretty clear via search that this is an issue). Ordered up the Aztec spacers today so after this week, should have them to do a comparison. 6' / 32" inseam and Arai full face.
You won't be disappointed, imo they make a huge difference if not quite goldwing-level serenity, but if you wanted that you probably wouldn't have purchased a multi. Even if you only appreciate a modest improvement, MODEST IMPROVEMENT x MANY HOURS IN SADDLE = HAPPIER FRESHER RIDER.

Great for touring. I go naked when commuting, wait that sounds weird, I sport my shorty around town...d'oh never mind.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Look guys and girls. Isn’t it clear by now there is NO ‘one fits all’ solution!

If you are a ‘highway cruiser’ (sub 100 mph) then the standard screen …or the DP touring screen….with or without the Aztec spacers is ‘OK’.(In my opinion Aztec spacers do make it better with these screens)

If you go at 120mph + then these screens are certainly NOT OK….and to me, its clear why!

The Puig ‘short sporty’ is fine if you go fast…120mph ++…but the bigger screens are better sub 100 mph.

I still think ‘hiss flaps’ are agood idea and will buy as soon as some one puts them into production.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Puig Short Screen...more of my experience.

Just to add a bit more info collected over the last two days. I have just done a 800km round trip with the Puig ‘shorty sporty’ on. A lot of good open highway…and no speed cameras (yet).

(Speeds all INDICATED…in Kph…Approx Mph in brackets).

I find I tend to ‘fast cruise’at about 190 (120)….with burst up to 230 (140). I had all three boxes on (I know…they have a limit of 180 (110) ).

With the standard screen…or the DP Touring…I never really go above 220 (135) as the bike tends to develop a nasty ‘wobble’ about there…given any provocation. I also find the big screens make the bike very sensitive to cross winds…and passing lorries.

With the Puig on…very little problems in both of these areas which I would say is not surprising. The big screens must present a hell of a resistance and also ‘catch’ the crosswinds and turbulence off lorries….so my conclusion there…big screens don’t want to go above about 200 (125).

I started off with the Aztec Spacers installed….and all in all thought ‘not bad’. I then took the spacers off. Well….mmm…NO !! Much more noise as the wind hit my Helmet (Schuberth C3)…and the instrument panel shook more…and if I moved my head away from dead centre….(look behind)…at 200+…nearly took my head off!

Put the spacers back….back to ‘good’. Quieter…no shake of instrument panel and no tendency to tear my head off if I look round.

Says it all I think…Puig without spacers…not terribly good. Puig with spacers…much better.

I’m only 5’7”…but when in his riding position, my 6’2” mate’s head is less than an inch higher than mine…and when he’s going fast he ‘get’s down’ more than I do….so I’m not sure height is a big issue here.

(As for fuel consumption at 200 to 220…don’t ask!!)

Nick

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
We got a rare clear day here so I rode the bike with the thought of getting the Aztecs squared away. I did something I hadn't thought to do before; lower the screen. I have a longish torso so started off with the Aztecs up higher. BY lowering it, I found I was riding in much smoother air. Bottom line: they stay on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts