Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my phone so using the search function is going to be a challenge. I'm at Sears and need the correct sizes for the front and rear axle bolts. Is is 22mm & 30mm?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Dan,

The 2004 ST3 SM and ducatiwiki says that both are 25mm. I'd wait for a confirmation, though.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I know he asked axle, but Sears = tools, and I bet he meant axle nut / socket sizes.
Sorry, I don't know these OTTOMH

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
The numbers Tony provided (with lightening speed might i add) were for the axle nuts... both listed on Ducatiwiki as 25mm

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I know he asked axle, but Sears = tools, and I bet he meant axle nut / socket sizes.
Crap. You're right, obviously. It is the thread size and pitch, not the nuts. I haven't confused those previously. WTH??

Have a good one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry for the confusion. You are correct. I'm looking for open & closed end combo wrenches to remove the nut. I have an adjustable jaw wrench, but would rather have the correct sizes.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
A failed shot at redemption. I tried looking up the part numbers at Ducati Omaha, but the only description give in "nut." Bummer.

Have a good one.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I believe they are 28 & 30. You'll probably need to go sockets because wrenches in this size are about 2 feet long. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe they are 28 & 30. You'll probably need to go sockets because wrenches in this size are about 2 feet long. :)
Good point. I'll get sockets.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Good point. I'll get sockets.
I had the idea of trying to find a combo wrench that would fit both front and rear to carry when traveling. I could not find that combination on a single wrench and they were huge. I ended up with one of these for the rear and still don't have one for the front. My riding buddy convinced me that 99% of the time tire trouble will happen on the rear. Keeping fingers crossed. :D

Desmo Times Product 35 - ST Axle Nut Wrench

·
7,733 Posts
I had the idea of trying to find a combo wrench that would fit both front and rear to carry when traveling. I could not find that combination on a single wrench and they were huge. I ended up with one of these for the rear and still don't have one for the front. My riding buddy convinced me that 99% of the time tire trouble will happen on the rear. Keeping fingers crossed. :D

Desmo Times Product 35 - ST Axle Nut Wrench
Maybe a light weight sturdy aluminum 15" adjustable wrench might do the trick if you can find one. I have that Desmo Times wrench and it works very well. I've never had a flat front tire. Theory is, the front tire runs over the offending object, stands it up, and it penetrates the rear. Oh my, I said penetrates the rear. :eek: But you don't need a wrench to fix a flat. Not like we have tubed tres. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Dan,

How did you make out? If you didn't buy anything, I though I'd recommend these:
13 Piece High Visibility 1/2" Drive Metric Deep Wall Impact Socket Set
The 32mm works for my axle nut, but they are excellent for a bunch of other tasks.

This set does not cover the front nut.

This has been working great for me for years (all metal):
1/2" Torque Wrench

I did mess up the calibration on one by backing it our too far. It was easier to snag another one. Someday, I'll get the first one recalibrated. I had it checked before that. The torque was spot on for a clicker type wrench.

Have a good one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts