Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a source for billet axle adjuster blocks? If that is a question with no answer, is there another possible axle block that could be made to fit with a minimum of work...like a KTM390 or other with a same diameter axle? I figured I'd ask here as I've exhausted all well known sources I can think of.

I'd just like something not made of cheese that won't scar or gall when the adjuster is turned while in contact with it. Ti would work for me too, if such a thing can be located. Thanks for any and all suggestions....sean

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I really don’t recall anyone ever requesting any before. Maybe we have a vendor here that has something like that. I have never seen any for sale.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the steel or aluminum swingarm? What is the problem you are having?
Aluminum.

The problem I have is the adjusters are made of a cheese like substance that resembles aluminum. The ones I have are marred/scored and slightly mushroomed where the adjuster bolt contacts the block.

Hence, I'd like a billet replacement or possibly, Ti if that were something available. If neither is available, and I have seen neither on any of the vendor sites I have been able to find, then I'd like to find something that will work with a minimum amount of fuss.

IE, if I can find ones with a slightly smaller hole and have that hole enlarged to fit, then fine. Modern motorcycles using a similar style axle adjuster block mostly have a very large diameter hollow axle in comparison to the tiny diameter SS axle.

Hence my question about the KTM 390. It seem to have a small axle diamter similar to that of the 900SS. I just don't know if it is larger. If it were smaller, I could simply have the hole bored out to the proper size and maybe bead blasted to get rid of the orange anodizing for use on my 900SS.

Thanks for any and all replies......sean

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would think that you could have a local machine shop make something out of whatever material you want. Alternatively you could try someone like guzzipower.com or woundedduc.com and they might have used parts. Is your wheel tightened properly, because I'm thinking that the adjuster bolt interface shouldn't be seeing a large enough load to damage the block.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
If you find some that fit but the hole is too large you can sleeve the hole.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Aluminum.

The problem I have is the adjusters are made of a cheese like substance that resembles aluminum. The ones I have are marred/scored and slightly mushroomed where the adjuster bolt contacts the block.
I'm really unclear about this. The only way I can see this happening is if you are trying to adjust the chain tension against a tight axle. I loosen the axle before making chain adjustments, then press the sliders firmly into the adjuster screws to measure and to tighten.

Reactions: spacey

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really unclear about this.
My apologies. The bike in question is a 30K+ mile salvage title 1993 900SS I am in the process of resto-modding. I got it with the the marred up axle blocks.

I would think that you could have a local machine shop make something out of whatever material you want. Alternatively you could try someone like guzzipower.com or woundedduc.com and they might have used parts. Is your wheel tightened properly, because I'm thinking that the adjuster bolt interface shouldn't be seeing a large enough load to damage the block.
I could do that. But if I can find something that will work with a minor bit of modification, I'd rather do that. I don't want anything used, I already have used. See above for the reasons I'm looking for a billet or Ti piece.

If you find some that fit but the hole is too large you can sleeve the hole.
There is that too, but I'd rather not have to add more parts than required for the job. IE, drilling out a smaller hole is infinitely less hassle than adding spacers that then have to be kept track of during future tire changes.

Looks like I'm on my own in the experimental path to billet axle blocks. Once I find a solution, I'll return to post the results. Also, pics of said solution when that time comes.....sean

·
Registered
919 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to contact the used parts people I mentioned to at least see what they have. I have bought things form Guzzipower.com before and he represented the condition of the parts very well. Sent photos before I committed. Good luck in any case.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to contact the used parts people I mentioned to at least see what they have. I have bought things form Guzzipower.com before and he represented the condition of the parts very well. Sent photos before I committed. Good luck in any case.
I've done business with Guzzipower for this build already.

For these I want something like what I've described. Billet or Ti. Preferably Ti.

I am not interested in used blocks, in good condition or not. Thanks for the well wishes. I'll report back once I have a solution......sean

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
1993 900SS I am in the process of resto-modding.
Enough said right there, this is a cosmetic change primarily and the part in question is not a part I have ever seen from the aftermarket. They are not a part that wears out normally and for whatever reason people were not into modifying/changing the aluminum swingarms. I see no reason you can not have them made even in Ti but I would expect it will not be cheap due to the material cost.

I have a few parts made from Ti that are rear wheel spacers for the cushdrive that were given to me by a machinist that worked in a shop that used lots if Ti and often had scraps he could use. I would look around at manufacturers ( machine shops) who produce items in Ti, see if they have any suitable scraps/drops that could be used and possibly have them make you a pair.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Enough said right there, this is a cosmetic change primarily and the part in question is not a part I have ever seen from the aftermarket. They are not a part that wears out normally
Precisely.
You hit the proverbial nail on its head. I could, if I so chose simply take a mill file to the OEM blocks I have and dress them suitably. However, I want something that looks and performs better.

I looked all over the web. Places I knew of, places I found through a search engine. No one had anything. Hence my post here to see if anyone knew of someone who sold or made what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tips on Ti at the machinists. I have a local guy who does water jet and machine work for me. I might hit him up and see if he can come up with something.

I actually have found some things on the web. I have measurements for these particular products so all I have to do now is measure my parts and see what the differences are. Then I can take all of to my machinist and have him work them. At least that's the current plan. I have a buddy who has a shop too so I may take him up on his offer to help out.

More once I figure out what direction I'm going to take.....sean

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I could make you anything you want out of whatever you want. However, I find most people are not willing to pay for my time to do it yet alone the material cost to do it. PM me if you want.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I swear I've seen something like this referenced in the LT Synder manual from Desmotimes. There is something on the website, but doesn't seem to work with Supersports. Monsters and and STs only.

Axle cover plates

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could make you anything you want out of whatever you want. However, I find most people are not willing to pay for my time to do it yet alone the material cost to do it. PM me if you want.
Thank you, I appreciate your offer. However another member has offered me some aftermarket axle blocks and if they look like the ones I think they are then I'm highly likely to buy them from him. I knew there was a reason I asked the question on this forum....sean

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please share info/pictures of them if they are what you were looking for.

It would be good to have a record of them for future questions.
I will once I receive them. I paid for them today and a fellow forum member is sending them out in the very near future.

They were in fact the ones I thought they were, I just didn't know the name of the company who made them. They're made in the USA by a company called Moto Techniques.....sean

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New axle adjuster blocks arrived today. First I'd like to thank fellow member 9-9-9 for the blocks. That was an easy no worries kind of deal for me. The bad news is the adjuster blocks are for a steel swing arm rather than the aluminum one I have.

I thought initially that they were for a Monster or something but after careful fitting, I figured out they're for the steel swing arm. They fit right over mine, but not down in the channel where the stock adjuster sits.

You can see the stock one on the left versus the Moto Techniques on the right.
I'll keep looking....and maybe check to see if I can have some made to my own design....if so, I'll post them up here in case anyone else decides they want them too....sean

1 - 20 of 28 Posts