21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinkin about getting the avon azera 46 sport touring tire for my 900ss
for mostly back roads,commuting and general highway use

anyone have some insight on these tires

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
i had a set of avon azaros on my S4 a while back and liked them quite a bit. good tire and a bit more money too.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
These have become the tire of choice for many ST riders who want high mileage + performance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
franzl66 said:
i was thinkin about getting the avon azera 46 sport touring tire for my 900ss
for mostly back roads,commuting and general highway use

anyone have some insight on these tires
I have them now on my 2003 4s. I have 4000mi on them now and will no doubt get over 8000mi on them, if the reports are valid about them. I got 8300mi from the stock Michelins.

The best feature that I like about the Avons is that they do not follow cracks in the pavement like the Michelins did. I ride over the cracks and the suspension does not even notice them.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
722 Posts
These are awesome tires, great feel and grip, like a sport tire. They last long. You need to run higher pressure (38/42). Warning though, they loose the grip at later life. Even with the tread looking good, they will just let go. This is worse in cooler weather. By the time they go off, most other tires are down to the cords. The AV45/46 scared me so bad, I quit using them.

Even at the high pressure, they give a very soft grippy feel when leaned over.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I had the exact same characteristic as what Rick mentions, on my AV49/50 tires. They were great when new, til about half the tread thickness, and then I started experiencing unexpected (and sudden) rear tire slides on spirited road riding. The first time it happened, I thought I'd ridden over an oil spot or loose dirt on the road, because we weren't pushing THAT hard. Happened a few times, and when I asked the rest of the gang if they were experiencing any grip issues, none had.

I removed the tires, and now have a half-used set of AV49/50 sitting in my garage. To be fair, this happened during spirited riding, but still, it was not full berserko stuff - just reasonably quick Sunday ride with the gang in the twisties.

They were perfect when new. I don't know if they are using a dual compound that gets harder when the tire wears, or whether these tires kinda "heat cycle" and lose grip after some time, but they just don't work for my own particular kind of riding. I'm sure they're perfectly fine for highway/casual rides....

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I just took a set off of my ST2. As everyone has mentioned they are great when new but the grip seems to quit long before the tread is gone. I believe that if you never overheat the tire they will last for a really long time. When I took mine off they had 6K on them and that is the highest mileage that I have ever gotten out of a tire, so if commuting and backroads is what you are looking for the Avon may be a great choice.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Mark Turbo has written glowing reports on the Continental Road Attack tires he is using on his 02-ST4s. He claims the mileage is as good as the Avons but the performance is better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts