Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a general idea as to the lifespan of the standard LED? I was thinking about buying some rizoma indicator lights but I'm concerned about the lifespan of those units considering you can't change the "bulb"... they are much cheaper then the DP round indicator lights, but I'm thinking it might be worth the extra $$ for the DP versions since those have bulbs that are replaceable. Thoughts?

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
I changed over to LED's on a fleet of class 20 dump trucks 2 years ago, have not had one failure. We changed them all, brake, turn, stop and all the marker lights. These things take a pounding, one of the best PM upgrades I ever made.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
208 Posts
All those stats are generically true but there are no reliable tests for their use in bikes. LEDs can be very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, and unlike cars that have protective regulators bikes generally are pretty notorious for that. Still, LEDs should outlive a standard incandescent by a wide margin, and that's more meaningful to me than the cost involved.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
I work with LEDs for entertainment and architectual lighting, such as

This project has 160,740 LED packages with discrete red, green, and blue LEDs in each, so 482,220 LEDs on the bldg. We've only been running it for a few years, but we have not yet had an LED fail, unless a fixture had a leak and the LED has been sitting under water for a few weeks.

Your LED turn signals will most likely outlast your bike, and possibly you. And yes, I practice what I preach. I've got Rizoma's as my front turn signals and an integrated LED stop/turn signals on my 748. And I love how bright the Rizoma's are! Easily seen in daytime.:) Some other LED turn signals are not very visible during the day. :( Sorry, iPhone pics...

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
What you have to worry about more are resistors, bad connections/soldering, and leaking houses more than anything.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
All those stats are generically true but there are no reliable tests for their use in bikes. LEDs can be very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, and unlike cars that have protective regulators bikes generally are pretty notorious for that.
Bikes of 50 years ago, yes. Modern bikes, no. They are as well regulated as your car!

If they are designed to correctly, they will last far longer than the metal in your bike.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts