Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an auxiliary adapter for the power plug on the right side of the faring 2019 1260 Multistrada. In America our cigarette plugs are too large. I am not sure if the Ducati outlet size is standard to that of the BMW etc.... I wanted to find a plug that I could put into the socket that has a built in USB outlet for a GPS power source.

Hopefully a reliable one. BMW makes a few but I don't know if they would fit the Multistrada. I don't need any cables just the plug. Thanks for any recommendations....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have one of those plugs as a back-up for a phone but most of those are too big and awkward.
Your best solution is to run a usb cable from the usb jack under the pillion seat to the front.
It's also switchable when you shut down the bike. You can move the rear jack out of its rubber sleeve to facilitate the cable routing.
FYI, my GPS is also usb powered unlike the 12v Zumo series.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one of those plugs as a back-up for a phone but most of those are too big and awkward.
Your best solution is to run a usb cable from the usb jack under the pillion seat to the front.
It's also switchable when you shut down the bike. You can move the rear jack out of its rubber sleeve to facilitate the cable routing.
FYI, my GPS is also usb powered unlike the 12v Zumo series.
So do you run it under the main seat and then up and over the fuel tank as a plug in? Or a perm run through the frame area to the handlebars?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
So do you run it under the main seat and then up and over the fuel tank as a plug in? Or a perm run through the frame area to the handlebars?
Permanetly and through the frame area to the handlebars.

·
Smut peddler
1,002 Posts
West Marine sells wet rated USB plugs, maybe you could just swapnit out? I added one on my 09, just tied it into a switched source (headlight), then sub fused it. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’ve run a DIN/BMW/Hella/Powerlet double USB adapter in that fairing plug for a year. It’s switched, and provides power to a USB bluetooth beacon for my trip tracking app. Also use it for longer rides were I need to charge the SENA while riding.

Because of the location, it’s pretty well sheltered from rain and water. There’s a lot more clearance between the plug and handlebars than it looks like.
This adapter has two high-power USB ports. They’re all $20-25, this one has the highest ratings and waterproof plug covers.

·
22 Posts
I've tried the Powerlet in the fairing plug, but it does not maintain connection. I have lost one before with it falling out without me noticing it.

Any ideas on making it more of a snug fit?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've tried the Powerlet in the fairing plug, but it does not maintain connection. I have lost one before with it falling out without me noticing it.
Any ideas on making it more of a snug fit?
Yes. Don't use it as a permanent solution. It's next to useless and will look like a redneck hack with excess wires dangling up front.
Some of those hella to usb plugs are so big they will hit the handlebar. I've tried at least four different ones (straight, 90 degree, 45 degree etc)
The cleanest, easiest and most efficient is to run a usb cable back to front. It will only take you a few minutes to fish it through and will look factory clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts