Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a set of Denali micro DM lights, and I need to find a place to mount them.

Mounting on the forks seemed about the best place, so I bought some 52mm fork clamps on ebay. I fitted them up in front of the radiator, but I notice that the suspension movement would bring the front fender in contact, and turning the bars hits the inside of the side fairings. Not sure if a fork mount will work in that location.

I've seen some people mount them down low by the axle. What's the mounting point? Brake caliper bolt? Front fender bolt? Messing with caliper bolts seems like a potentially dangerous alteration.

Is there any way to mount up high? The mirror mounts are the highest frame point, but forget it. Those are such a pain with just the mirrors.

I don't care about cutting and drilling the fairings, but none of it seems strong enough to support the lights on their own.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I installed mine at the lowest fender/mudguard mounting bolt. 5mm long bolt needed -- see below.

You'll need to use washers or 6mm nuts to space the light clamp out far enough so it doesn't put pressure onto the fender.

I'll see if I can get a pic soon. Steve

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Same here.

It seems like mounting lights to an unsprung location would create annoying movement of the light pattern since the lights would move along with the wheel's travel (bouncing/vibrations). Yes? No?

Also, wouldn't it be better to mount them higher so as not to create long shadows on the road? I would think the point would be to fill-in shadows rather than create them.

I raced desert for years, many events went far into the night hours. The higher the lights were the fewer shadows.

I'm asking here ... not telling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, awesome! Thanks for the photo. That little plastic loop with the tiny metal threads looked a bit iffy for me. Especially at 150mph+. If it has worked for you guys, I'll go for it.

I have the same questions about unsprung weight, and the effectiveness of lighting the road from down low. The negatives seem to be minimal, the location looks good to me.

Did you guys buy a bushing for the bolt? I'm about to go to the hardware store :)

·
Super Moderator
5,429 Posts
I didn’t buy the DM-1 for lighting the road. It’s in the for the cagers to see me during the day. Have about 15k miles with the lights mounted on the forks...absolutely no problems with durability.

If I needed more light at night I’d run larger lights and mount them high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,429 Posts
I used an aluminum bushing that I sourced from www.aluminumspacers.com
Great selection, speedy service and less expensive than the mounting kit from Twisted Throttle (which I bought but didn't like the length of the spacers provided).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Something to consider with auxilary lights, although I don’t think it has much bearing in practice, is whether you want them fixed to the front wheel to sweep with the steering or fixed to bodywork/frame and “static.” I have Clearwater Glendina fender mounted lights on my Cagiva Gran Canyon much like the way mlukason and steve__d mention above. I think distancing them vertically, and to some extent horizontally, in this way gives three triangulated light sources which makes the ‘bike more conspicuous to other road users. While they do provide additional illumination at night, being mounted this low means the beam pattern is compromised and tends to be more scattered than you'd want to get from true driving lights.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the same set-up as what's pictured (but different brand lights) and it's fantastic. No issues whatsoever with light bouncing or poorly scattered. I, too, installed them so people can see me better but when I do ride at night, the combination of the low mount driving lights with the headlight provide a much greater sweep of light across my path. This is definitely a great upgrade to do on your ST. I also have my turn signal bulbs 'always on' using a blinker genie.

Reactions: mlukason

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
For me the added light as a defense ag. cars is a motivation.

How do you like the Blinker Geni? Does it require changing to LED blinkers?

·
Registered
416 Posts
steve_d, the blinker genie is great for the $25 or so I paid for it. You just need to splice into your L and R turn signal wiring and add in the blinker genie wiring harnesses. It's fairly thin and doesn't take up any room ...I think I have them zip tied to the nose framework. You also need to tap into a switched power source so I used the extra plug in the nose that I think was intended for heated grips (my heated grips are tapped into a different switched power source). Once that's done, your turn signal bulbs will stay on as long as the ignition is on. I love the look of it and there is no need to do anything else. No need to change to LED blinkers. The extra light added to the front just helps me be seen better.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is mine st2 but 1 phase old type so only led aux front lights the masking tape is on them as you can see the mirror stems are red to match the bike they just let them see you coming, sold some brackets and lads fitted 35w lights the brackets are 3mm alum fitted a switch so I can have them on or off
Mike

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts