Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
These are my latest pics from finishing the HW3 Rally, or the How the West Was Won Rally out of Grand Junction, CO. Little dirty after riding over 1700 miles in 32 hours. My route took me through CO, corner of UT, WY, MT, and returned to CO. Finished 2nd overall out of 50+ entrants. 1st was a GSA, 3rd was an FJR. So many manufacturers represented.
Congrats on the 2nd place finish and carrying the Ducati flag. Back when I was doing long distance rides, BMW dominated. Competition is a good thing.

Did a BBG 1500 mile ride in 22 hours on a BMW GS Adventure. That big tank was a requirement. There is no doubt the 5 gallon tank on the MTS is just too small when time is everything. The enduro at almost 8 gallons is an improvement. But, for rallies or extreme rides, I prefer a rear tank like you installed. Had a F800GS with the camel tank.

Again, congrats on the finish. That's a great accomplishment.

·
Hammer Down
1,647 Posts
These are my latest pics from finishing the HW3 Rally, or the How the West Was Won Rally out of Grand Junction, CO. Little dirty after riding over 1700 miles in 32 hours. My route took me through CO, corner of UT, WY, MT, and returned to CO. Finished 2nd overall out of 50+ entrants. 1st was a GSA, 3rd was an FJR. So many manufacturers represented.

Again sorry about the dirt but I ride the thing!.......
I bet the BMW crowd was impressed with your rig!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Hey guys, I run an Auxiliary Fuel Cell I designed and then had a welding shop fab it up for me. The need for carrying more fuel comes from riding in Long Distance Rallies. Basically scavenger hunts across the Country with specified time limits. The stock Multi tank is 5.3 gallons, my Aux tank holds 5.2 gallons. Iron Butt Rally rules state you can carry up to 11.5 gallons. There are also stringent rules on mounting, grounding, venting and all around safety.

Here's a few pics mounted when I received it back from the welder.....
Ron, you're post doesn't get into how you plumbed the tank to the main fuel tank. Did you use a vent tube or did you install your own fitting into the main tank? Your post over on the Iron Butt forum went into detail about the fuel transfer pump. Did you do away with that to rely on gravity feed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correct SFoster, this version I went Gravity feed. The fuel pump worked great, flawlessly. But I was trying to eliminate any failure possibilities. Fuel experimented with opening the valve and trying to flow thru a non-energized pump. That was a no gouda! Without a fuel pump I was able to keep the tank lower, another positive! I did install a fitting in one of only two really decent flat spots on the bottom of the tank. Just remember to measure a few times before drilling. Along with the fuel proof gaskets I coated everything in a thread sealant an airline mechanic gave me. that stuff hasn't set up still and its been on there for nearly a year. Good stuff.

Yell if I can help anymore. I'd take more pics but the bike is home in Kansas City and I'm up in Scranton, PA for a year and a half. On a trip home I'll try to get you some pics.

The Ducati turns heads at these events. I just made it work because its what I owned. The Bill Mayer Saddle was a huge increase in comfort.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't need the 11.5 gallons since the IBA rides require stops every 300 miles anyway. I'm torn as the DVT Enduro will do this without mods, BUT that's a lot of money to drop on a newer bike just to get the extra range.

I already have the Russell Day Long saddle and the ROX risers, so that part has been taken care of.

Five months ago I was planning on selling the bike and giving up riding all together; I even listed the bike for sale. But, I couldn't do it (thankfully).

Anyone with and Enduro that can convince me it's worth the 'trade up'?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
mes533, now I have a bunch more questions.

Here are some pictures of the DVT Fuel tank. I'm trying to figure out where on the fuel tank you installed the bulkhead fitting. Did you install it on the top of the tank next to the LEFT side fuel pump or on the bottom of the tank. If so, which side (using the LEFT and RIGHT side labels in the picture)?

Second question is, it looks like your tank install is not above the height of the main fuel tank. So do you run down the main tank, THEN open up the aux tank and gravity feed the main tank? I'm assuming the gravity feed keeps up with the fuel consumption?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well maybe the rumored 2018 MTS 1260 will come with a 6 gallon tank. That won't help anyone who already has the bike but I bet it would impact sales.

NC

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Well maybe the rumored 2018 MTS 1260 will come with a 6 gallon tank. That won't help anyone who already has the bike but I bet it would impact sales.
One can only hope. The current tank is about a gallon short of where it should be, imo. I did run my bike full dry once to test how much range I truly have, once the readout states 0 miles. That would be 20 miles on flat highway at 70mph. Regardless, it's still annoying to have the low fuel warning come on around 150 miles into a tank of gas.

As I posted in another thread, there was a short thought about an Enduro (dealer has one they really want to sell), however the pannier load capacity is HALF the S Touring (11lbs for Enduro vs 22lbs for S Touring). My backpack I take to work often weighs over 11 pounds and the city streets have moon-like potholes (ask me how much a rear rim and suspension pieces cost for a BMW 7 Series). So while the fuel capacity of the Enduro looks good, the luggage capacity is worse than my first 50cc Mobylette.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts