Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Member...where am I?
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Australia and Australians seem a bit strange and hard to understand for most visitors. Not only do we have our own language 'Strain' we also have a different view of life, the universe and everything. It might be purdent to 'bra sharp' on the Aussie etiquette, before visiting DonwUnder!

No one understands this as well and manages to put it as eloquently into words, as Douglas Adams (From Hitchhier's Guide to the Galaxy fame).

Have a look: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/wenjun/fun/oz.txt

Executive summary: Bloody beaut, Strewth!

:)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not just the intriguing posts by fellow forum folks, but my nephew taking up permanent residence is yet more fuel for me to come visit & ride. Now this little tidbit.

Really, Oz sounds like a great bike trip; challenging, remote, beautiful, and then there's the beer...:D (I do assume bikes are available for the touristas?)

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I've been giving serious thought to moving to Australia. I heard it's difficult to get a work permit/residency permit there though. Is it true this is because of water shortages? Are there any americans or italians (I am both) gone to live in australia? what are the pros/cons (like distance from europe/us, living standards, riding roads, availability of beautiful women, cuisine, mentality etc.)

EDIT: I laughed hard when I read that... but it's not only australia where you get in trouble for sticking your hand in a hole

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
I've been giving serious thought to moving to Australia. I heard it's difficult to get a work permit/residency permit there though. Is it true this is because of water shortages? Are there any americans or italians (I am both) gone to live in australia? what are the pros/cons (like distance from europe/us, living standards, riding roads, availability of beautiful women, cuisine, mentality etc.)

EDIT: I laughed hard when I read that... but it's not only australia where you get in trouble for sticking your hand in a hole
Hmmm, I don't know about the work permit/residency thing - I think you have to show you have a lot of money, or else work for a multinational and get transferred here. We are sponsoring a British guy and had to make all sorts of outlandish promises and pay lots of money to get him to work for us.

Americans, yes I know one. She is nice and beautiful and single and rides a Ducati. Italians, yes all over the place. We seem to have Italian areas in both Melbourne and Sydney, complete with great food.

Standard of living, for us anyway, as we are DINKS is excellent. People keep on winging about how expensive houses are, but I hadn't noticed, perhaps because I own one already and don't wish to move. Food is fantastic especially in Melbourne and Sydney - excellent restaurants .

Proximity to Europe - 23 hours on a plane to the Isle of Man was a bore, but you do it.

Now for the important stuff - good roads - YES, resoundingly. On the Eastern seaboard - some fantastic roads and strong Ducati Owners Clubs as well, so you can have company too. Tasmania has the best roads, if it wasn't so cold I would live there. So, if I had to choose somewhere to live I would pick Melbourne, its closer to Tasmania than Sydney and I think I like it better. I would only like Sydney if I could live on the Harbour and that is very expensive.

The water thing is a bore - our State government encourages us to only use 155 litres per person per day. We manage to do that - long showers are something I now reserve for holidays overseas! But I don't begrudge it I am just a bit sorry that an entire generation of children will grow up and never know what it is to run through a sprinkler on a green lawn on a hot summers day.:(

The only thing that sucks about the place is the politicians in charge and the hole in the Ozone layer - sunblock is a must. Lets see whether the article is true (ie you can discuss politics freely);)

I think the best thing to do is come for a holiday and have a look. Will buy you a beer or two and see how you like it.

these links might help http://www.immi.gov.au/
http://www.liveinaustralia.com/

·
Registered
258 Posts
Italians In Australia

Are there any americans or italians (I am both)
Italians have been settlers in Australia from the beginning of the 20th century, similar to the migration of Italians to America. They have had a big influence on all forms of our culture and for the most part we love them.

For information on two of our most famous (notorious) Italian entertainers see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Gatto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Gangitano

Perth was, and maybe occasionally still is, a big R&R place for American navy fleets. A few of these guys have returned to settle here. So yes, there are Americans living happily here and we even have all your popular TV shows, Millers beer, KFC, MacDonalds, or Macca's as we call it and a Costco has just opened in Melbourne. The only real difference between you and us is that we drive on the correct side of the road.

·
Registered
175 Posts
love australia
VERY MULTI CULTURAL in main cities, all races, many europeans, asians etc...
Melbourne is home to many many italians and has the largest greek population outside greece i understand.

i prefer melbourne in general, although IMO sydney has the best weather - melbourne winter is just too long.:eek:

arguably melbourne is best for good quality food and european 'feel' - multicultural also means multi-'food'.

sydney has a lovely harbour - but it's expensive to live anywhere near the beach

overall, house prices here are not that cheap average around $450k i think.

average income around $60k AUS

working visas are very difficult unless you have a specific trade or professional qualification - might take much time otherwise.

roads are great, but in melbourne you need to travel about 1.5 hrs to get great twisties...

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Italians have been settlers in Australia from the beginning of the 20th century, similar to the migration of Italians to America. They have had a big influence on all forms of our culture and for the most part we love them.

For information on two of our most famous (notorious) Italian entertainers see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Gatto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Gangitano

Perth was, and maybe occasionally still is, a big R&R place for American navy fleets. A few of these guys have returned to settle here. So yes, there are Americans living happily here and we even have all your popular TV shows, Millers beer, KFC, MacDonalds, or Macca's as we call it and a Costco has just opened in Melbourne. The only real difference between you and us is that we drive on the correct side of the road.
ROFL!:D at Gatto & Gangitano references. Maybe we should send Alexio the Underbelly series.

Perth is beautiful, pity about the roads. I can say this cos I lived there for 10 years.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
thanks for all the info guys, really!

I heard about the work permits... I'm in medical device sales... make a very good living here in the US but it's not a specific skill set for sure. Funny, being from Europe, and then getting US citizenship also, I've never had to wonder/worry about how to get a work permit for somewhere else I've wanted to live.

I like the US, it has been a great place to live, but I live in the south (atlanta) and all I meet are people from here. Can't find a girl with whom I have anything in common with (most haven't travelled, couldn't place the US on a map let alone know what's going on outside it's borders, and only talk about sports and getting drunk). Italy, although spectacular to vacation and see friends, is corrupt as sh!t, and for most people it's a pretty grisly existence.. I save going home for vacation. Australia seems just perfect for me... going to visit in the next few months to make up my mind.

Maybe I'll go back to school (huge opportunity cost) and get a specialized MBA or Master's degree which could help with work permit issues. How do non-specialized/valuable people do it?

Anyway, thanks for the advice again everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Alexio

Let us know when you are going to visit. Will find you a Ducati to ride and then take you out for a beer - it will be fun. If our traffic doesn't put you off, nothing will.:D

Cheers

·
Registered
985 Posts
Love Australia. When flying there for the first time (airline pilot), I asked advice on how to meet a nice Shiela from some of my well-traveled friends, as I was single at the time. The very best advice was, "Find one you like the looks of. Follow her. When you get the chance to open a door for her, do it, as Australian guys never will. Call her "miss". Treat her as a human being. Never mention your "mates", and never drink to excess in her presence. When you drop her off after the first date, don't try anything. She'll be yours in short order. Works like an absolute charm. :D

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
well, this shouldn't be too difficult then... living in the south I've learned to lay down in a puddle so a woman can keep her shoes dry... opening a door or two and keeping my d..k in my pants for a few extra days shouldn't be tough at all

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good friend of mine moved to Melbourne from the US, found a great woman to settle down with, and isn't coming back as best I can tell. Loves the people and the country. Biggest problem for him was leaving his Marshall amp here in the states (now sitting in my basement :))

Of course he's from Pittsburgh, not Europe, so no telling whether his experience will translate to you.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
SO I just started watching an episode of "Flight of the Conchords"... (I know, I know... it's from New Zealand).

Anyway, my favorite show... about my favorite country (spent a month there touring on a bike in december.. fell in love.) So Jermaine hooks up with this Australian chick (by accident)... and almost gets banished by the NZ embassy.. hilarious.

At one point she says... "I'm going to the DUNNY, I've got to murder a BROWN SNAKE".... really!!!! these are the girls we have to open doors for. Sounds like I should just choke her with a pink snake instead. LOL.

joking aside... i realize the "rough" image is an exageration... but are the girls generally pretty... you know... mannish?

http://video.google.com/videosearch...ight+of+the+conchords&vid=8294261409491267989

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
SO I just started watching an episode of "Flight of the Conchords"... (I know, I know... it's from New Zealand).

Anyway, my favorite show... about my favorite country (spent a month there touring on a bike in december.. fell in love.) So Jermaine hooks up with this Australian chick (by accident)... and almost gets banished by the NZ embassy.. hilarious.

At one point she says... "I'm going to the DUNNY, I've got to murder a BROWN SNAKE".... really!!!! these are the girls we have to open doors for. Sounds like I should just choke her with a pink snake instead. LOL.

joking aside... i realize the "rough" image is an exageration... but are the girls generally pretty... you know... mannish?
I don't think you would need to open a door for a girl like that - she wouldn't expect it, wouldn't even know it should happen, she might be able to choke a pink snake but it could result in some festering disease. I am sure there are "rough" girls everywhere, yes, they are here in Australia if you look in the wrong places, if you look in the right places - they won't be, my husband refers to them as "trollops".

Also remember that there is just as much rivalry between New Zealand and Australia as there is between inhabitants of the various Australian states. New Zealanders love to put down Australians. Sydney people think Melbourne is dreadful and we think Sydney is awful too. I am the product of a mixed marriage, Mother (Melbourne) and Father (Sydney) - it made for some interesting discussions when Dad wanted to retire as to where they would live.:confused: I have spent a far bit of time in Sydney visiting relatives and family friends in the past - it just does not do it for me.

There is a saying about Australian capital cities and it goes something like this "in Sydney they ask how much money you have got? (Sydney people are very impressed by wealth and talk a great deal about how much money they have and how much things cost*), in Melbourne it is where did you go to school? (ie the old school tie counts for a lot, Melbourne is quite establishment and the Melbourne establishment thinks it is vulgar to mention money - I would never say "nice so and so, how much did it cost" or ask how much money someone is making, that would be extremely rude), in Adelaide they ask "what church do you go to?" - won't touch that and in Perth they ask what would you like to drink?" - and I reckon that is cos the roads are too boring, so lots of drinking occurs and it is very hot in summer so people are thirsty (I like the heat). Brisbane doesn't get a mention and neither does Hobart for some reason.:think:

*One day I was walking our dog and met a friend, we started talking about another person from our dog walking group who is very materialistic, "Oh" she said "he is okay, but very Sydney".

·
Registered
116 Posts
As an Australian living in the USA for the past 4 years, I certainly do miss the roads around Yarra Glenn, particularly the Reefton Spur. Fortunately we do get back twice a year, enough to run my 748SP around for a while.

Melbourne has style, while Sydney requires serious money to live well without commuting to the burbs everyday. Deus ex Machina is perhaps the most interesting bike shop I have come across in Camperdown, Sydney http://www.deus.com.au/

I have been fortunate to live in London, Singapore and Tokyo and every city offers something cool. Ducati pricing is fairly steep in Australia, though you can import a bike ( I imported a Monster whilst in Asia ) if required. I cant say the process was too difficult with the aid of my local dealer in Australia.

Japan however was motorcycle central, amazing cafe racer conversions and just about everyone owns a motorcycle or scooter. Bikes are very affordable, though getting a license is expensive, particularly over 400cc.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
gotta get my 2c worth in. Australia is an AMAZING country. It's safe, has a stable and weathy economy, beautiful weather, beautiful women, is filled with nationalities from all over the world, and is a great place to be a motorcyclist. The down sides?......
politicians have discovered the taxation cash cow called speed camera's.
Another down-side? It's a long friggen way from anywhere else. My wife is French so the travel time is always a bitch to get to Paris.

Tasmania, which is a large island at the bottom of Australia, is motorcycle heaven. Bikers are welcomed there, the roads are awesome, very little traffic, cops are bike friendly, etc etc. In much the same way that Muslims must visit Mecca at least once in their life, all Aussie motorcyclists must visit Tasmania once in their biking life. It's an unwritten law.

Riding Tasmania is simply the ultimate in a road riding experience. I've ridden in Europe, Asia, the USA and Canada. Nothing compares. Sure there are roads in other parts of the world which are awesome, but usually the ride is done in an hour or two and/or you have to share the road with others. Not so in Tassie.

I think a great measure of a country is looking at the lifestyles of the poor. Notwithstanding the way we f**k the aboriginal community in the Outback, the poor in this country have a better life that most other parts of the world. If ever I found myself poor, I would want it to be here in Australia. I do live in Sydney, which is the most expensive city in Australia - but all things are relative because the salaries are higher in Sydney.

It's been called the Lucky Country. Any Aussie who has traveled the world would realise how very true this is. Come on down for a visit. You might never leave. I came here from Canada in the '80's and loved it so much I stayed. My family all have Aussie passports and we're DAMN proud of it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts