Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you by your batteries from and what sort for a 998?

I have my heart set on a SSB LH12B4 LITHIUM BATTERY, but looking for a good price? Prices seem to vary quite a bit.

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I bought an SSB from Port Yamaha
Then bought one on ebay, somewhere in QLD I think.

Great batteries and have never put a charger near them, had a Shorai in the 1098 which I paid a fortune for and it shit itself.

I think you go to the SSB site and cross reference the model number of what you need. They are smaller but you just pack them up, in a Pani they are a pain in the arse because of the terminal position but once sorted all good.

If prices vary buy the cheapest :)

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought an SSB from Port Yamaha
Then bought one on ebay, somewhere in QLD I think.

Great batteries and have never put a charger near them, had a Shorai in the 1098 which I paid a fortune for and it shit itself.

I think you go to the SSB site and cross reference the model number of what you need. They are smaller but you just pack them up, in a Pani they are a pain in the arse because of the terminal position but once sorted all good.

If prices vary buy the cheapest :)
Sage advice as usual

Cheers mate

Craig

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have my heart set on a SSB LH12B4 LITHIUM BATTERY, but looking for a good price? Prices seem to vary quite a bit.
That's the one I put in my Hyper when my Shorai started to crap itself. I got it from the RPM Moto ebay store, I think they had a special going so I got it for less than $200. Couple of years on, still starts like a champ. I've thought about getting a lithium-compatible charger but I haven't needed it yet.

It ships with a few little bits of adhesive-backed foam but nowhere near enough to pack it into the stock compartment. I had enough lying around to pack mine in so I used the bits that came with it to lift up the terminal nut to make it easier to do up the terminal screw.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the one I put in my Hyper when my Shorai started to crap itself. I got it from the RPM Moto ebay store, I think they had a special going so I got it for less than $200. Couple of years on, still starts like a champ. I've thought about getting a lithium-compatible charger but I haven't needed it yet.

It ships with a few little bits of adhesive-backed foam but nowhere near enough to pack it into the stock compartment. I had enough lying around to pack mine in so I used the bits that came with it to lift up the terminal nut to make it easier to do up the terminal screw.
For less than $200, you must have got the 290 CCA Model and not the 400CCA one?

Craig

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
SSB are in Lansvale Sydney. I'm talking to them at the moment about some batteries for a racing yacht that save about 50kg for a grand plus. I'll get a price for your battery if you want? I'm looking at starting a 1.5 litre diesel plus doing a bit of deep cycle at 700-1000 CCA. Maybe I can get a discount stacking them all together.

I started my poor neglected 900SS yesterday that has sat around for months and it kicked in straight away. 4 year old Shorai I liberated from the US that had been left around unused for a few years. They aren't terrible but I have have seen a few go bad. The guys who import them wanted to help me out with a deal on a new one but I was in and out of the country at the time and I never got it together

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SSB are in Lansvale Sydney. I'm talking to them at the moment about some batteries for a racing yacht that save about 50kg for a grand plus. I'll get a price for your battery if you want? I'm looking at starting a 1.5 litre diesel plus doing a bit of deep cycle at 700-1000 CCA. Maybe I can get a discount stacking them all together.

I started my poor neglected 900SS yesterday that has sat around for months and it kicked in straight away. 4 year old Shorai I liberated from the US that had been left around unused for a few years. They aren't terrible but I have have seen a few go bad. The guys who import them wanted to help me out with a deal on a new one but I was in and out of the country at the time and I never got it together
Thanks Dave, just make sure it's the LH12B4 400CCA. When are you in Muswellbrook again?

Craig

·
Registered
662 Posts
For less than $200, you must have got the 290 CCA Model and not the 400CCA one?

Craig
Yeah sorry, just checked my eBay records and it was the LFP12B4. Same external dimensions as the LH but 290 vs 400 CCA. Next time around, I'll probably check the price on them but I'd be wondering if I really needed the extra 110 CCA. YMMV of course.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went out to my garage to check on the girls, and the charger is showing full lights as it did yesterday, so I stuck a voltmeter on it an it shows 13.8 volts, so I went and got the key.
The bloody thing started right up, WTF?

Yesterday, I got nothing but stuttering relays and no pump prime. Nothing has changed, except the bikes mind?

It's got me stuffed?

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I nearly spent $380 on a battery? I think I am loosing the plot.

Craig >:)
It turns out the charger was fucked and has been replaced with a new one under warranty, so I am dammed impressed with CTEKs warranty and customer service. I did 800 plus kms over the weekend without assistance traveling to Morgan Park for the Super Bikes, which I thoroughly recommend for next year.

Great weekend, and thank you to DTM Tamworth & CTEK

Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts