Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike, I got your PM, thanks, I will check it out...Messaging claims you have no chosen to receive messages so I can't reply

Reactions: Abbott

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I pulled the left side cover and the alternator rotor...The bike is on the work platform and the faring was off, 20 minute job... The spacer behind the rotor has a hole drilled through it that lines up with an oil hole in the crankshaft snout...I assume this is the modification for additional oil cooling to the stator?...The stator ohms out ok and shows no sign of heat distress...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hey Hillbilly Monster. Not trying to hijack your thread but I see your location states Marion NY. I live in Shortsville NY so I am not very far from you. I do motorcycle maintenance as side work and perform a LOT of ducati service if you ever need anything (tools, help, parts, whatever)

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
407 Posts
Another great use of this terrific Forum .... good on you Joe !
Craig

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Hillbilly Monster. Not trying to hijack your thread but I see your location states Marion NY. I live in Shortsville NY so I am not very far from you. I do motorcycle maintenance as side work and perform a LOT of ducati service if you ever need anything (tools, help, parts, whatever)
Thanks....Is there a gathering of Italian bike guys around here that get together for rides...Or get together for talking in the winter?
If you like, sent me your phone # in a PM...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, the spacer on my engine does not have a groove like this one shown in the link..just a small hole near the center..

·
Registered
313 Posts
st spacer oil way

hi
the slot for the oil way is 50% plus 3/4 mm of the depth to the hole in the crank shaft and the large flange face it is not a key way slot is it a radius slot and the tool must be bull noise /round tip milling tool i think 1/8 / 3mm is the size as per my notes when i did mine

the spacer is hard rocwell spec ?? may take one or two milling tools and fit as per photo fitted wrong way round you have just wasted your time clean the oil pilot hole in the crank shaft before you refit and fit a new sprag spring to stater clutch

now when all done upgrade the 2no yellow wires from stator to reg/rec then from reg/rec to main 40 amp fuse zip tie it as well then to battery plus and minus leads

when this is done engine will spin up faster then skin the old ducati wires and see the burnt wires

i have fitted a moffist reg/rec from any big jap bike as ducati reg/rec is a shunt type it just dumps extra volts to ground as the moffist type controls the volts the reg/rec jap one has 3 pins only use 2 as your duke is 2 wire 1 phase

fit a 12volt led volt meter then as you ride you can see the volts rise and fall max 14.5 v as any volts under 11.75 and ecu goes to sleep
a two flute or four flute is fine

photo of my r92 r93 tool laser cut, so you can set crank shaft nut spec this is the 3phase type stator look at the depth yours is the narrow type stator 2 wire 1 phase

mike

ohttps://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/360257-voltage-meter-my-st4s.htmln this web

side view of the spacer with the oil way

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do I see any reason why the slot can't be carefully cut with a die grinder? I believe the supply of oil is governed by the hole drilled in the crank snout not the slot size...So as long as the slot is large enough, should be no issue..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi
Well it's your bike and you can do that if you wish Ducati have the size of oil way for a reason I would only do it across the face then plug the bore of the spacer with a mild steel plug and tungsten drill down the bore

Why not price it first did some one not say in the above post he would do it for you ?? As he had a access to a milling maching

Better to get it spot on
Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gave it some thought and then with a small diamond burr in a die grinder I free hand cut a slot as shown in your photos and description...I also welded the existing hole in the space to force all the oil through the slot otherwise it will take the path of least resistance through the existing spacer hole...I have done modifications like this on rocker shafts ,oil pumps etc of other engines to increase or redirect oil flow..I have confidence this will do the job.If it doesn't, I won't say anything :wink2::laugh:. ...I noticed the stator wires have a thick rubber sleeve where they are attached by tie wraps ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts