Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my work over the weekend.. I started with 2 2.125" mandrel j bends and 2 resonators, 17" long 3" OD. Chopped the resonators down to 7", and worked the pipe to my liking. It still runs great and sounds absolutely monsterous!! (whole new meaning to the word LOUD) but its been a fun project. Debating if I'm gonna keep it this way or convert it back to stock (gag) Losing the 20lb stock muffler made a VERY noticable difference in the handling of the bike. I'm planning on building an aluminum shield to go around the rear pipe (much as the GP bike as the CF shield around it) and an aluminum shield to go on the fairing around the lower outlet. Yes.. I have already cut a hole in my fairing, but in my defense, It was lowsided and had a crap paint job on it and was far from Showroom quality. I have the stock tail lights mounted up now as well. once I get a new pic of that I'll post it as well. They look much better tucked halfway under the tail than they do in the stock location.

·
Registered
57 Posts
nice work

That is my kind of experiment...I admire those who don't hesitate to disturb the sanctity of their Ducati! I am sure it is loud, but I bet it was fun firing it up that first time. I used some similar cans a few years ago and they sounded better than anything else I've heard on a Duc. You will always take some heat from the purists when you try something like this, but I congratulate you on your effort, well done.

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
I digg it! The rear pipe could be a little bigger. Are you going to cut a hole in the fairing for the bottom one?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was my work over the weekend.. I started with 2 2.125" mandrel j bends and 2 resonators, 17" long 3" OD. Chopped the resonators down to 7", and worked the pipe to my liking. It still runs great and sounds absolutely monsterous!! (whole new meaning to the word LOUD) but its been a fun project. Debating if I'm gonna keep it this way or convert it back to stock (gag) Losing the 20lb stock muffler made a VERY noticable difference in the handling of the bike. I'm planning on building an aluminum shield to go around the rear pipe (much as the GP bike as the CF shield around it) and an aluminum shield to go on the fairing around the lower outlet. Yes.. I have already cut a hole in my fairing, but in my defense, It was lowsided and had a crap paint job on it and was far from Showroom quality. I have the stock tail lights mounted up now as well. once I get a new pic of that I'll post it as well. They look much better tucked halfway under the tail than they do in the stock location.
yeah... :D
After I get the Aluminum shielding and everything else neat and tidy I'll post up some "final product" pictures...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice work. Can't wait to see the finished product.
The cut out in the lower fairing looks just like the gp bikes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you noticed any ill effects from not having a crossover balance pipe between the pipes? You probably haven't ridden it enough to know, but when you do, I would be interested in your opinion.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you noticed any ill effects from not having a crossover balance pipe between the pipes? You probably haven't ridden it enough to know, but when you do, I would be interested in your opinion.
This was honestly a concern when I was in the planning stages of doing this, but I just reached the "aww hell why not?" point and decided to do it anyway. I can honestly say I havent noticed anything with the ol butt-dyno. I'm sure If I'd done a before and after dyno run there would have been some difference. It still pulls as strong as ever. If anything it dropped some bottom end power and picked it up in the top end. I went as close to 54mm as I could find because that seems to be a favorable size for the 749's. Its been through the twisties and wrapped up to 11k on a few occasions since the install. I dont feel any "flat spots" or anything in the power band. Like I said though, an actual dyno may reveal something I can't feel. But if I can't feel it, then it really isnt even a concern.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This was honestly a concern when I was in the planning stages of doing this, but I just reached the "aww hell why not?" point and decided to do it anyway. I can honestly say I havent noticed anything with the ol butt-dyno. I'm sure If I'd done a before and after dyno run there would have been some difference. It still pulls as strong as ever. If anything it dropped some bottom end power and picked it up in the top end. I went as close to 54mm as I could find because that seems to be a favorable size for the 749's. Its been through the twisties and wrapped up to 11k on a few occasions since the install. I dont feel any "flat spots" or anything in the power band. Like I said though, an actual dyno may reveal something I can't feel. But if I can't feel it, then it really isnt even a concern.
That's what I was hoping you'd say....Thanks;)

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
AFAIC that is the nicest exhaust I have seen yet. Well done.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Who is the manufacturer (and model no.) of those resonators?
Can you post a sound clip?

Mike

·
Registered
857 Posts
How much did it cost you? or did I miss that in your post too? :D

are u planning on selling after u master it?

EDIT: are you running it on a PCIII? or just stock ECU?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The resonators can be found here:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=JEX%2DAR3012S%2D5&N=700+0&autoview=sku
I think I'm about 80$ into it currently (I had an old stock muffler to cut a coupler off of so I could make them "slip ons") I have no sound clips but if I can find somebody with a camera that'll record it for me I'll be more than happy to post one. Currently its running only the stock ECU. Perhaps one day I'll PC3/Dyno tune it. I really have no intention of ever producing them for sale, I still have more work to do to this one to make it "cleaner" looking. Just a wild hair I decided to persue.. oh, and for what its worth.. Its not Titanium, Its not Stainless, Just good ol aluminized exhaust piping. I'll likely have it Jet hot coated when all is said and done.. a nice shiney silver color.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Damn!

I've got similar 'resonators' on my drag car, and they do just about nothing to quell the exhaust note....your bike must sound outrageous! :D

Thanks for the info,

Mike

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wayne, Helluva job. Can't wait to get back to hear the bad dog bark. Take it cool on the Crest. I'm in Minnesota for a spell. Bob

1 - 20 of 44 Posts