Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Got a 2016 Multistrada 1200S. Have a navihalter, Garmin Montana GPS, Garmin power cradle. My question is in regards to wiring the power cradle to a "keyed" circuit. Was planning to use a "tap a fuse" to attach directly to a "keyed" fuse so the GPS would power off when the ignition is off. Is this the best way to do this? If so, which fuse do you guys recommend using? Thanks for any help. Don't want to "short out" my bike or catch it on fire. I have read that there is a GPS power connector already attached to bike, but how to attach the garmin power cradle wiring to it?

·
Registered
869 Posts
There is a power plug for the GPS, about half way down the left fork tunnel, tucked into the tank area. You should find a couple of connectors with a blank, black plastic plug. There are two down there, one is for the electronic gas cap and the other for the GPS.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I've had mine powered off the battery for a while... thought I'd give it a try and pulling the wires through to under the seat was the easiest way of managing them (I didn't want a wad of wires in the fork tunnel). Now that I've had it this way for a while I'm going to move it over to the switched connection and see how that goes, I thought I might like having it powered to allow it to charge even with the bike off... but I never do that (always shut it off when I'm done riding).

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mine's actually powered off the rear powerlet socket under the passenger seat. I ran the wires down the right side and the bulk of the wires are zip tied to the frame under the right side panel, plenty of room there.

Now I've just got a small fuse block, I've got to figure out where to mount that, most likely under the rider seat, so I can get the Garmin hard wired.

The powerlet plug works okay, but the male part does vibrate out a little and become disconnected. It may be the tool kit bumping it over road irregularities.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a power plug for the GPS, about half way down the left fork tunnel, tucked into the tank area. You should find a couple of connectors with a blank, black plastic plug. There are two down there, one is for the electronic gas cap and the other for the GPS.
Not to hijack the thread, but electronic gas cap? What kind of electronic wizardry is in the gas cap?

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but electronic gas cap? What kind of electronic wizardry is in the gas cap?
Unlocks the gas cap for 30 or 60 seconds when the bike shuts off to allow you to fuel the bike without having to get out the key.

I'd love to have it but it's pretty expensive for such a simple gizmo.

·
Registered
869 Posts
As Dave stated, it's a $300 (expensive) option, takes about 20 minutes to install. But I love the convenience of not having to dig out the key when I stop for gas.

·
Registered
397 Posts
As long as it doesn't fail. Unfortunately, there's no key back-up. Otherwise, I'd probably spring for one myself.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey. Got a 2016 Multistrada 1200S. Have a navihalter, Garmin Montana GPS, Garmin power cradle. My question is in regards to wiring the power cradle to a "keyed" circuit. Was planning to use a "tap a fuse" to attach directly to a "keyed" fuse so the GPS would power off when the ignition is off. Is this the best way to do this? If so, which fuse do you guys recommend using? Thanks for any help. Don't want to "short out" my bike or catch it on fire. I have read that there is a GPS power connector already attached to bike, but how to attach the garmin power cradle wiring to it?
If you are planning on using the Montana for offroad navigation, which is what it's designed for, I would advise against using the Navihalter mount. With it adjusted to an angle suitable for 'in the saddle' navigation you can't see anything while standing on the pegs since the gps is at such an angle. I've resorted to using a ram mount on the bars to run my Delorme pn60 in an almost horizontal position; the viewing angle of the screen is enough that I can see while seated. There's usually tree cover where I go off pavement, so glare isn't an issue for me. You might be able to adjust the Navihalter almost horizontal, but it won't be useful while seated and adjusting the mount requires tools.

I also replaced the +12v DIN socket with a 3BR Powersports weather proof USB Panel Tapp. It would have been nice to have dual USB charging ports, but it works great. When used in conjunction with their Tapp Cap and red band cables provides a weather and vibration resistant connection to the charger that puts the devices in fast charge mode (no problems with garmins going into pc transfer mode)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks engineered2win. I use my Montana on my dirt bike with a RAM mount and didn't want to buy another motorcycle specific GPS for my Multistrada. Not planning on doing any offroad with multistrada except maybe an occasional dirt road. Thanks for the "heads up" with the navi halter if that changes. I just prefer my GPS mounted above the dash on a street bike. My garmin power cradle has a bare red wire and black wire for power. No USB wire like on Nuvi and such. Wanting to connect red wire to a switched fuse under seat unless somebody has a better way.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks multifrank. Found the plug no problem thanks to your picture. How do I know which wire to solder the red one to and which one to solder the black one to as both wires on the pigtail are black? I'm sure this is a dumb question but had to ask. Also, there is a similar plug in the same area that is plugged into a square black box that is Velcro'd to the fairing on the left side. Any idea what that is for? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
You need to check it with a multimeter...BTW...it is 12V.

thanks multifrank. Found the plug no problem thanks to your picture. How do I know which wire to solder the red one to and which one to solder the black one to as both wires on the pigtail are black? I'm sure this is a dumb question but had to ask. Also, there is a similar plug in the same area that is plugged into a square black box that is Velcro'd to the fairing on the left side. Any idea what that is for? Just curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do you know which one is which. I have unplugged a very small white one like the turn signal ones, but get no power out of it. It is just below the left cover with the ducati logo on it, right near the headset, there is a large plug there also that just has what looks like a dummy tap in it. From all the other photos I think I have the right one since I can only find one there. I can take a photo and post it tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. I never checked for power after turning bike off.

·
Registered
869 Posts
One of those is for the electronic gas cap, I believe it gets power for 60 seconds after the bike is turned off. The other is for the GPS.

I went a slightly different route. I installed a FuzeBlock unit, under my seat, secured with self adhesive Velcro. This gives me multiple, fused, outlets. I have my GPS, Radar Detector and heated clothing outlet running from it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everything I want to run is up by the front of the bike so I wanted to use that existing connector. I might have to take into the dealer to figure out why I am not getting any power from the gps plug.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Everything I want to run is up by the front of the bike so I wanted to use that existing connector. I might have to take into the dealer to figure out why I am not getting any power from the gps plug.
Make sure you've got the right connector. If you don't have heated grips installed, the connector for them is in the same general area and looks exactly like the picture that MultiFrank posted but it won't be powered unless the grips have been software-enabled by your dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the heated grips and they work so that is not the connection I am using. Does the gps power have to be enabled by the dealer. I checked fuses, they are all good, everything else works on the bike. I have checked it with a multimeter and am getting nothing. I want 12v from it is why I am using it.

Anything else I can look at?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts