Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 30mm socket and an 18" breaker bar but am not able to get the clutch nut to budge. So am I pretty much fucked without an impact driver, which I am really not comfortable using anyway?

No idea what the fuck is going on but both this and the rear wheel nut are on so tight that I find it impossible to believe that these were torqued properly... Extremely frustrated right now, had to wait a while for my new NGR slipper and now am unable to install it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Impact is easy. The first time I used one on my 748 some 11 years ago I had some reservations. But after having the crank nut pop off with ease I never thought twice about it. Rent an impact, or trailer the bike to a shop and have them remove it.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Impact is easy. The first time I used one on my 748 some 11 years ago I had some reservations. But after having the crank nut pop off with ease I never thought twice about it. Rent an impact, or trailer the bike to a shop and have them remove it.
If heat does not do it--
Impact gun will take it off with ease.

-M

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuck... I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Yet one more step to have to take in what is turning into a marathon, when I thought it was going to be more along the lines of a medium run.

Starting to wonder if I am going to get her on the road this summer...

·
Registered
344 Posts
i bought a impact at harbor freight and sense im not using it all day it works great for the coupla maint. things i need it for on the duc...
specifically the two things you mentioned

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It is a normal right hand thread,Remember lefty-loosey Righty-tighty. Find a pipe [thick wall,chainlink fence upright pole works] and slip over the breaker bar to get more leverage.Or find a gorilla type and offer him[or her] a beer to pull the lever.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Many people put red Locktite on those nuts since they have been known to back off on their own and send the pressure plate into your clutch cover. If it has red Locktite on it, you may need heat AND an impact wrench, depending on how much torque the impact wrench has.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many people put red Locktite on those nuts since they have been known to back off on their own and send the pressure plate into your clutch cover. If it has red Locktite on it, you may need heat AND an impact wrench, depending on how much torque the impact wrench has.
I thought about that but it's the original factory slipper Terry... would they have used Loctite during it's original build?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You can get an electric impact hammer pretty cheap, that way you wouldnt have to buy a compressor, that being said, you could also build something like this for nothing. I did it out of crap laying around garage.
I prefer using this tool over impact anyways beings the impact beats the crap out of everything, and thats why they call it an impact wrench.....
With a tool like this, its a more gentle process

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Oh and Another thing you can try is put it in gear, put your foot on the brake (or have someone else sit on the bike apply the brake) and use a good breaker bar. Then again, I am 6' 2" 250 lbs and spend 5 or 6 days a week at the gym and pretty much used to lifting moving or breaking things with out help...

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
FOR RENT: One go-rilla type person to remove your nut. Food and beer required on daily basis for work rendered. Have tools will travel.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Prophet,

Like the others have said, an impact gun will get both of those nuts off in a jiffy!
While you don't have to break the bank with a top-of-the-line gun, a decent semi-professional tool like in the link below should last a lifetime:

The Ingersoll-Rand 2135Ti Series of Air Impact Wrenches - Including 2135Ti Max, 2135QTiMax, and the 2135Ti.

After 25 years of putzing around with 'offshore' pneumatic impact guns, last year I finally bit the bullet and bought the Ingersoll Rand impact gun.
It has been one of the best tool purchases I've ever made, and you'll find you will use it for more than just your bike...

My $0.02 worth... ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a similar problem with my clutch nut, too. I ended up taking a breaker and socket to it with a cheater pipe. I had my wife wedge a 2x4 under the peg and over the brake pedal and pry like hell with the bike in gear. It still didn't work- I just barred the engine over instead of loosening the nut. I finally found that a wrench in the slotted brake rotor wedged against the swingarm worked. Talk about a pain, but nothing got broken and it worked.

I'm a mechanic for a living, so I have the proper tools but they're all at work and I was in the garage. Impacts are great and I use them daily. If you buy impact sockets (or at least one for what you're doing) they are made of softer metal so they don't shatter when you hammer on them with pneumatic tools. They will give before beating the hell out of the fastener you're un-fastening. Chrome sockets crack (from experience) if you rattle them long enough and also round off hexagonal hardware if you're not careful. 12-pt is even worse...

Hope this helps.

---Matt---

·
Registered
5,193 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
If you don't have a compressor the Harbor Freight electric impact does a good job, fair warning wear ear plugs, unbelievably loud as it "slips" before the nut spins off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
look at his picture again. :)
This picture works great if you have a welder and an old intermediate plate laying around. If not, you could buy the special tool for holding the drum. Or you can use first gear and gear-bind the bike. YMMV

---Matt---

1 - 20 of 32 Posts