Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to upgrade my 2013 Touring S seat and make it more comfortable for longer rides. I had a Corbin on my last BMW which was just ok and I've heard mixed reviews on the Sargent seats. I recently read about Astech seats and wondered if anyone has experience with them. They essentially rebuild your seat using the stock seat pan, using some special gel then foam on top. Also, the cost is much cheaper than buying an aftermarket seat. The process described on their website makes sense.

Astech Seats | Custom Motorcycle Seats

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I've been looking to upgrade my 2013 Touring S seat and make it more comfortable for longer rides. I had a Corbin on my last BMW which was just ok and I've heard mixed reviews on the Sargent seats. I recently read about Astech seats and wondered if anyone has experience with them. They essentially rebuild your seat using the stock seat pan, using some special gel then foam on top. Also, the cost is much cheaper than buying an aftermarket seat. The process described on their website makes sense.

Astech Seats | Custom Motorcycle Seats
I'd be wary of any company that makes a false claim specifically about a competitor and so much hyperbole.

"Everybody seems to be using some super special exotic gel like, super atomic gel, impact gel, saddle gel, butt buffer, butt buddy, skwoosh, gel seat, gseat, blue diamond, pro pad, super comfort gel pad, comfort max, and so on and so forth. All of these sound very cool, except they are all the same."

Sargent's "super atomic" is a foam, not a gel. Those terms aren't interchangeable.

"With the final shape complete we then carefully replace the original cover and return the seat to you."

One of the benefits of an (expensive) aftermarket seat is better cover material. Some OEMs do OK here, but most are not as good as a quality seat maker. My experience with Sargent over many thousands of miles is that the larger scooped shape fits my bubble butt. Some lose inseam due to wider seat area. Much like a helmet, your shape needs to match the seat build.

Based on the website claims and the fact they are only replacing padding, I would say get second opinions. There are many quality seat builders out there. Unless Astech can redo your seat for under $100, it's kind of a gamble you don't need to take.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had Spencer do this to my FZ6R. Made a big difference, but still looked stock.

Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Spencer seats have a great reputation among the Honda ST1300 crowd. I considered having Spencer do the mod to my ST1300 seat, but got lazy to ship it and found a Corbin for a good deal. He's been doing seat service for a long while.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is why I'm looking for anyone who might have experience with them. Getting opinions on seat comfort is like asking about what screen gives you the best wind protection. There are a lot of variables and is somewhat subjective. I'm 6' with an inseam of 34" and 185 lbs so seat height is not an issue for me. I don't like how the stock seat pushes you forward into the tank and that my butt is killing me after an hour or so. Also, my wife doesn't like the pillion seat at all. She much preferred the Corbin seat on my K1200S which was much wider. The thing I like about Astech is that they'll re-shape your seat and I can make the pillion seat wider for my wife.
The Sargent seat is beautiful but at over $500, it's more than double the Astech option. Spencer Seats at $75 isn't a huge investment and may be worth a try.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sent an email to Spencer last nite and he replied this morning that, unfortunately for us, he does not work on all years of the Multi seat due to it's particular design and construction. After being reminded of Spencer, I was hoping to get my Multi seat modded inexpensively. I may have to go the Sargent route, but do not look forward to the increased seat height.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
This is why I'm looking for anyone who might have experience with them. Getting opinions on seat comfort is like asking about what screen gives you the best wind protection. There are a lot of variables and is somewhat subjective. I'm 6' with an inseam of 34" and 185 lbs so seat height is not an issue for me. I don't like how the stock seat pushes you forward into the tank and that my butt is killing me after an hour or so. Also, my wife doesn't like the pillion seat at all. She much preferred the Corbin seat on my K1200S which was much wider. The thing I like about Astech is that they'll re-shape your seat and I can make the pillion seat wider for my wife.
The Sargent seat is beautiful but at over $500, it's more than double the Astech option. Spencer Seats at $75 isn't a huge investment and may be worth a try.
Give me another week or so and I'll have a Sargent review. My issue with the seat is the same as yours, except pain starts at 30 minutes, not one hour. Padded bike shorts give me additional seat time. Someone here said Ducati tried to make one seat do it all and it failed across the board.

Are you sure Sargent won't take your pan and build it up? Doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent an email to Spencer last nite and he replied this morning that, unfortunately for us, he does not work on all years of the Multi seat due to it's particular design and construction. After being reminded of Spencer, I was hoping to get my Multi seat modded inexpensively. I may have to go the Sargent route, but do not look forward to the increased seat height.
I'm assuming that by "all years" he means he doesn't work on the current 1200s. That's unfortunate because I like what I read. I'll look forward TallOne's Saregent review. I'm still considering the Astech option and like the fact that they can widen the pillion seat slightly which is one of my wife's biggest complaints about the seat. Also, they will flatten out the driver seat to keep you from sliding into the tank. I'm not sure if the Sargent seat does that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's what I interpret his reply (listed below) to mean:

Thank you for your interest in my work and the information but due to their design and construction construction all years of Multistrada seat are unfortunately on the short list of models I do not accept for modification.

I am sorry I cannot help with this seat but appreciate the inquiry.

Ride safe, Spencer

I'm guessing he works on other Duc seats, just not the Multi.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also, in reading on their website what Sargent does for the Multi seat, it looks like the standard service is to mod the rider seat with new foam/cover and just install a matching seat cover for the pillion, with no other changes. However, I saw something on their site about custom seat services, so you may want to inquire about that for the pillion seat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife and I both had our seats modified by Astech. I have a 13 Multistrada s and my wife has a 09 BMW 650gs. We rode to their location to have modifications done. The primary purpose for the 650gs was to lower the seat for better control. My wife told them what she wanted and they changed it gave it back and she test rode it and everything was good she got just what she asked for. The modifications on my Multi were just for better comfort. On my multi they changed the seat 5 times for me and final result I would say was better than stock. The first 4 times they tried they had mixed results and in my opinion not much better than stock.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
IMO there is no one seat that works for every riding condition... seats that are comfy for short rides are too soft for touring... seats that are comfortable for touring are not firm enough for sport riding, etc...

I'd like to see a company make a premium seat set up very firm for sport riding but with reliable mounts for different 'top surfaces'. Sort of like I have with the stock seat and air hawk but with a better mounting system and better cover materials (Air Hawk covers are not great... mine is two years old and the stretch material on it is degrading rapidly). Maybe they could also support multiple 'profiles' for folks who like taller, shorter, wider, spooned, etc profiles.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most people don't have the option to ride to Astech and wait until they get it right. That's my concern over mailing my seat away without being able to test it. I agree with Dave that it's hard to get everything you want in one seat. Why doesn't someone make a seat like a sleep number bed....you just press a button and it inflates or deflates depending on your mood!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most people don't have the option to ride to Astech and wait until they get it right. That's my concern over mailing my seat away without being able to test it. I agree with Dave that it's hard to get everything you want in one seat. Why doesn't someone make a seat like a sleep number bed....you just press a button and it inflates or deflates depending on your mood!
You've got your million dollar idea right there. Make it happen!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You've got your million dollar idea right there. Make it happen!

It would also be great if the seat has a built in butt massager for when it gets a bit sore after a couple hours in the seat!:grin2:

·
Registered
231 Posts
What about the Ducati comfort seat for the multi?
I just put one on my 18 and put some seat time in yesterday. I like it it a lot! Compared to the stock seat it is definitely flatter (i use it in the high position) and the foam is thicker/firmer. So far I like it quite a bit and I think it will do very well on a long ride!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just put one on my 18 and put some seat time in yesterday. I like it it a lot! Compared to the stock seat it is definitely flatter (i use it in the high position) and the foam is thicker/firmer. So far I like it quite a bit and I think it will do very well on a long ride!
Same here. I did 500 miles in one day on this seat and it worked perfectly for me! My plan was to start with Comfort seat (because it was the cheapest option, new for ~$200) and if that does not work, send the stock seat to Sargent. But now I don't see any need in Sargent!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I think they do make a seat that you can add/remove air pressure, called the Zeppelin, but I think it's only for certain cruisers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts