Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HA!!! The wife ordered me a pair for our anniversary!! They weren't even available til this past Friday. I don't even have them yet but I was soo excited I could wait to tell. They've been on the web site for a while and mine are supposed to be in this week. I'll put up a report if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the SMX Plus' and only opted out of them cause the boss didn't like them..(yea, I know I know) I really liked how they fit and really liked the bottie (did I spell that right) inside. Nice and comfy. According to correspondence with AStar, the R's are one step down from the Plus' and a step up from the SMX 3's, but don't have the built in bootie. Should be pretty good though.

·
Administrator
7,137 Posts
I know what you mean...

Well, I understand, bosses are bosses.

But I got them 'cause they are really RED!

Like the new leathers and paint for Sophia....

Dying to try them out, after several "test" wearings, I am sure we BOTH will be happy!

Post up when you get them!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buger.....Not coming in until the 19th. Guess the stupid things aren't even ready for delivery yet. Figures.

·
Administrator
7,137 Posts
Patience!

Qalaxy, as they say, ship them and they will come...
No, wait, that is BUILD it and they will came.
Well crap, hang in there, and post up when they arrive.
I put mine on last night and tromped around the house a bit.

Damn those things are comfortable!

And the only reason I got them, was my girlfriend said that I should get them.
I have always had Sidi, and been happy, but when the boss says you, we both HAVE to obey.......

And they 19th is only 4 days away....

tick tock - tick tock -tick tock

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I know this thread is old and dead BUT I'll chime in. I have over 25,000 miles in my SMX boots. They have held up really well and still have lots of life left in them. I did have to glue the soles back on about a year ago but overall they are doing well. (BTW liquid nails can hold any two surfaces together) They are very comfy, and seem to be water resistant and don't catch too many odd looks around the office. All around they are great boots.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not dead...just waiting on my boots to come in...hopefully today!!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YEA!!! Just got them home. First, the pictures on the internet do not do them justice. They look really great. The interior and comfort is pretty dang good. No ride yet but I seriously doubt I'm gonna be dissapointed. They are as comfortable as the Plus' I tried on with the bootie inside of them. Tons better than the old SMX 4's I tried on. Very supportive, but not restrictive. Movement fore and aft is very good but naturally will need a little breaking in. Not much though. The black and red trim is also a very nice style balance with the red stitching being the icing on the cake. Highly recommend them. One thing though and this may be an AStar thing...I ordered my normal shoe size and they fit perfect in the length, but they are just a hair roomy. Not toooo big, just roomy. If I had tried them on before hand, I may have ordered a 1/2 size smaller but it's not enough to warrant exchanging them.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK...here ya go!! Couple things to add on the boots. They are VERY light. The natural position of the boot is very good when seated on the bike, and the sole's of the boots offer very good feedback as to where your foot is on the peg. The heel is also perfectly positioned for me to place it on the peg and have my foot exactly where I want it under the shifter. Still need some break-in for moving back and fourth to shift but what boot wouldn't. Restrictive to stand up straight in but then that's not what they're made for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I own Roams and need to replace them soon. Just curious about the SMX-R's: are they comfortable when you're off the bike and walk around a little? Or is it like walking in ski boots?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was not very impressed by the lateral ankle protection offered by the SMX line, this despite fact I am a HUGE fan of the A-Star dirt boots; former Tech 8, current Tech 10 user. Since I wear Daytona Bandits on everyday basis I really wanted a trackday-only boot that offered the protection of my Tech 10's only in a lighter package with A-Star fit and reasonably comfortable to walk in through the paddock. The closest I have come to my ideal boot is my Daytona Evo's which offer fit and protection but are HORRIBLE when off the bike. Tried the Oxtar Evo, don't recall exact name but it has good ankle support in a white perforated Lorica upper, which was decent design but a poor fit for my narrow (Euro 47, B-width) feet and annoyingly noisy to walk in. Tried the Dainese Axial which offered less protection and poor comfort. Then saw the A Star Supertech. Essentially a Tech 10 inspired inner booty hinge design with a very well armored outer shell. In 3 words: These boots ROCK! They are quiet and comfortable walking in paddock, offer fantastic protection and with a custom orthodic installed, they fit my feet. The upper clasp/ratchet needs to be redesigned to offer a ratchet-like micro tightening system, otherwise these are the perfect race boot, imo. Less than 1/2 the cost of the Daytona's and better protection per my podiatrist. May seem pricey compared to SMX lineup but if you value ankle, foot and shin bone protection, I think they are worth it. Take care

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I bought the same pair of boots two weeks ago. I will be trying them out Saturday (fingers crossed). They feel great walking around the house and I wear a 12E so the fit feels good on my wide doggs. I also like the red stitching it really adds to the looks. As far as protection goes I hope I never find out, but it will be a damn site better than hi tops or hiking boots for sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SMX-R Boots

I bought and returned several different boots before settling on the SMX-R Vented boots, they are the best boots I ever owned and extremely comfortable.
AS for walking they are comfortable but they are a bit like walking in ski boots, except more flexible and comfortable, don't bother me in the least.....but not made for long walks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.