Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I was on a track the past Sunday with a bunch of friends, one of which is on a '05 or '06 ZX-14 that has the air intake modded, aftermarket pipe, and PC on it - the rest of my friends are on the standard variety 600, 750, and Liter bikes.

I am thinking not a concern with the ZX as not only does the bike weight more, but so does the rider, and I know that him and I are about the same experience level.

Anyway, I was behind him coming through the corner on to the straight and I went by him - however at 140 - 145 he blew by me and got into the corner before me. During the day this happened about 3-4 times. (Got the speed from both my GPS Tracker and the Track personnel).

I have a 14T front sprocket, 134DD exhaust, Redline Flashed ECU, and race airfilter. The last time I tried to come out a bit harder on the throttle and the front end came up.

Am I missing something or is it just the extra CC's and HP that the ZX-14 has?

Rick.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a very good possibility. It is to easy to pass him in the corners. The only time he passed me was on the straight.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement.... 200cc is quite a bit to make up unless you are much more experienced than him (and carry more corner speed). Since you have the same experience level when he flicks the wrist in the straight he's gonna get you. Now if you carried more corner speed you may have a fighting chance if the straight isn't that long so he doesn't have time to climb through his gears.

Just my .02 cents from all the track days I've done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Because he was going slower through the corner he was probably getting on the gas earlier than you exiting the corner. Sometimes it pays to carry a little less corner to speed to allow for earlier acceleration exiting a turn - especially turns preceded by a long straight. Getting on the gas just a fraction earlier exiting a turn can make a big speed difference by the end of the straight. And as mentioned above there is no substitute for capacity.

·
1,766 Posts
The aerodynamic of the sport bike should also be taken into consideration. At 145 mph aside from a better bike performance your friend was feeling much more comfortable than you dealing with a noise, air pressure and such.
On another note... Is your bike equipped with DTC? If so what level was it set to? When I open a full throttle at level 4 DTC goes nuts blocking the fuel delivery and not letting the bike accelerate as fast as it probably could.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I know two people that have zx-14's - both of whom can ride very well. one reason that bought that bike is because they are tall/ big 6'4" and 6' 11'" .... modded bikes ... I was so surprised to see my one friend throw that big kaki through the Dragon the way he did ... The 14 is still a very capable sport bike despite it longish wheelbase and 'whatever prejudices you might have - I certainly did!' In the right hands that thing is a funk "cruise missile!!"

You have to set up your turns early and block them down the straight..

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
-and its capable ... easily of making 50 more HP-

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
At 145mph its all about drag, and a naked bike has a lot.
..those damned pesky little 14T sprockets; they get you all the time...

jdw
-and its capable ... easily of making 50 more HP-
All the above. You can help yourself by going back to the 15T for track work and stay in a really good, tight tuck on the straights. Not much you can do to counter the extra hp the ZX14 brings to the fight.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
When i went to track day school they warned us about the hayabusa's and zx14's, im not saying it happened with you but they usually clog up the corners but because of there big engines they would pass people on the straits. And my experience a on naked inline 4 was at about 140mph aerodynamics would hit you hard. I could walk up to and past those pesky 600's inline 4's because i had more juice in my liter bike but forget it if it was full faired liter bike. DAM YOU AERODYNAMICS:mad:

Ill bet the pangi could hang very well though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Many good points here. I'd say if you're probably a better track rider if you are passing him in the corners. He's getting you on the straights b/c he's on a full fairing and very capable bike. I know the duc snobs on here like to believe that everything is crap compared to the ducatis. But the zx14 is actually a great bike.

I rode with some very fast riders a few weekends ago and got a good reminder of the wind and such over 100 vs a bike with fairings. BTW, almost all of my co-riders were on ducs, but the 2nd guy was on a Honda.

So I still do love my SFS, but I have to admit that it's not going to handle speeds over 100 as well as a full fairing bike IMHO...

Even though this bike has a 1098 motor, it's still going to be impacted by wind and all that in the triple digit speeds. Others may disagree, but this is my opinion.

I know two people that have zx-14's - both of whom can ride very well. one reason that bought that bike is because they are tall/ big 6'4" and 6' 11'" .... modded bikes ... I was so surprised to see my one friend throw that big kaki through the Dragon the way he did ... The 14 is still a very capable sport bike despite it longish wheelbase and 'whatever prejudices you might have - I certainly did!' In the right hands that thing is a funk "cruise missile!!"

You have to set up your turns early and block them down the straight..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All,
Thanks for the input. I feel just a bit better having what I suspected confirmed (naked vs full fairing) and knew about the HP.

Sputniks -> I am running the DTC at level 4 but I didn't notice it kicking in.

I am looking at doing another track day in Charlotte in the next few weeks. Def need to learn how to ride the Duc better.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I am looking at doing another track day in Charlotte in the next few weeks. Def need to learn how to ride the Duc better.
Have you ever done a track class? technique makes a huge difference at the track. I've been watching this video "a twist of wrist 2" for me prepping for the canyons. I've had a track day class but you do tend to forget some things.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is funny that you mention that video. I purchased the book and the video. I have watched / read both and have found them to be very useful. I agree, you do forget things learned in the track class - especially if you do not use them often.

·
1,766 Posts
All, I am running the DTC at level 4 but I didn't notice it kicking in.

A year ago I took a night time track "day" at Springs of Willow race track here in South California. And in a darkness it was difficult not to notice that DTC signal lights were blinking all the time. They were blinking constantly at every turn at any speed at any gear. On a long straight segment of Fontana track at a full open throttle DTC is simply annoying even in a 6th gear!
It is perceivable how bike is unable to accelerate because of DTC. I consider to get TC-POD - a device that allows to change the DTC levels on a fly (without stopping a bike).

TC Pod Ducati Traction Control Module

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
A year ago I took a night time track "day" at Springs of Willow race track here in South California. And in a darkness it was difficult not to notice that DTC signal lights were blinking all the time. They were blinking constantly at every turn at any speed at any gear. On a long straight segment of Fontana track at a full open throttle DTC is simply annoying even in a 6th gear!
It is perceivable how bike is unable to accelerate because of DTC. I consider to get TC-POD - a device that allows to change the DTC levels on a fly (without stopping a bike).

TC Pod Ducati Traction Control Module
Sputz,

I noticed the same and eventually got the feel for when the rear tire was slipping. Since I weighed only 160lbs it was always easy to slip the rear and it was after while I just turned DTC off and much focus on throttle position, all was good. The Nemesis system is nice and will let you dial back the interruption as well as setting precise tire sizes to your liking. If you are kean on lowering your lap times I would say get it along with the Aim Solo lap timer so you can analyze what you are doing for each lap. You won't regret it. The Solo is cheaper than the SoloDL which I bought since it ties into the smartycam.

Auto corect disabledh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts