Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK, final revisions. At least until the machine's back on the road (whenever that happens). Although, there's a guy that wants to buy it. Then I start another.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Time to start on another one...

Glad for the funds to put toward the project. But, I was pleased with the final product and happy it was done.

I know, first-world, motorcycle-addict problems. :eek:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Found another suitably-sized chunk of aluminum (7075 - further overkill) to begin the process again. Found enough time to strip the paint from the fork sliders this afternoon. Fork bushings over the next few days, also. Going with Teflon for those.

Here's what a stock oil filter cover looks like for those wondering why I said mine was so over-the-top.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice progress so far. What are your plans for the frame? Powder coat?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not sure yet. But, I'm leaning toward paint. I did the frame of my Monza in powder and it turned out great. But, you lose some definition.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Top triple and bar clamp cleaned and stripped bare.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
One Teflon fork bushing ready for service. Could be a red c hair tighter. But, it fits much much better than either of the original aluminum ones. On to the second one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I have only the frame left to strip of paint (and find a tank) before I get off the coin to have the paintwork done. I thought I'd finally/fully settled on the original black/grey this one was. This goes back a few months. Then I stumbled upon this example and I'm back to square one of 'holy crap that's so pretty it hurts. I should do that'. :confused: :think:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
And, I have an extra engine (locked up, though it is) and another rolling chassis (looks to be 80% complete) arriving at work tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Extra engine has lots of rust on the internals but there are enough good parts to recoup a good portion of the total package's cost. Then 'whole' bike has everything I need to complete the first machine and lots to sell off. And, it has all evidence of the routing of the breather lines, wiring, etc. Worst thing is that I'm back to having to constantly shuffle things to get any work done.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So far, nearly everything I've removed from the 'spare' engine (rusty guts) is salvageable. I've media blasted all of the following to better judge their conditions and all are good to go: the pushrods, rocker assembly, sleeve nuts (for head studs), clutch basket and hub. I'll make new rocker shafts anyway (easy, cheap, old ones have a bit of wear). Same for the (three-piece) clutch pushrod. The sprocket should be good (once I get the durned thing off). Very slow going. Patiently waiting for the muriatic acid to work its way through the bore/ring rust while I keep working on the crank/cam bearing carrier removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Fits and starts with this project. I did manage to open the toolboxes from the second machine, one of which I suspected/hoped held the took kit. Bingo!

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts