Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All.....I have a friend that has a black 900SS (93) and is thinking about selling. He states that they are very limited and rare.....are these bikes desierable or designated "The Ugly Duck" of the litter...

Thanks in advance for your opinion....

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The black ones were actually metallic charcoal. They are relatively rare, I think around 60 were imported to the US for 1992. The funny part is, some, or at least mine, were originally red. A small bit of paint wore away under my seat. Bright red....

I can't say they get a premium, but you sure don't see many around. In fact, I have never seen another one when riding. I sure as hell wouldn't call it ugly, but then, see my avatar.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think they look really cool, but I wouldn't pay much of a premium for one. I'm fairly sure there were a mess of them in Europe that went unsold, and were later painted red so they could be sold. So if it's true that they were red prior to the black, some of those bikes had 3 layers of paint on them before they had any miles racked up! I didn't think they did the black in 1993. Every one of the pics I have seen of the factory black ss models had the black bodywork on the white frames. They ended production of the white framed ss model in 1992.........Are you sure it isn't custom?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Black was listed in the '92 brochure only. If it was a "93" I'm pretty sure it was an un-sold '92 model. I've always heard the "black ones were painted red" stories, but I've never heard it verified by the factory. Not to argue with anyone here, just don't know.

I'm not sure why a red one would be painted black either. Some of the 907ie's (formerly Paso's) were charcoal too, so there was a family appearence movement afoot at Ducati. At one time I got quite a few people asking me if mine was for sale because of the color. And I still come across people that swear Ducati never made black ones, and keep to the story even when I tell them I bought it new. Go figure....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Black was listed in the '92 brochure only. If it was a "93" I'm pretty sure it was an un-sold '92 model. I've always heard the "black ones were painted red" stories, but I've never heard it verified by the factory. Not to argue with anyone here, just don't know.

I'm not sure why a red one would be painted black either. Some of the 907ie's (formerly Paso's) were charcoal too, so there was a family appearence movement afoot at Ducati. At one time I got quite a few people asking me if mine was for sale because of the color. And I still come across people that swear Ducati never made black ones, and keep to the story even when I tell them I bought it new. Go figure....
Then the frame will tell the story on the bike that began this thread. If it's white, it could be legit, if it's champaign it definitely was a custom job. I'm guessing that these would be VERY easy to fake because the color isn't referenced in the VIN or anywhere else in the bike's documentation.......

·
Registered
824 Posts
I often wonder................

...........what my '92 SS would look like painted black. Then I'd most likely want the frame to be a different color (white?). It never ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gregg

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
One of the guys in our club has one. I think it looks really cool. I think Chris Kelley's firs SS was also a charcoal one, he probably still has some pics and stuff on his site..

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're all gonna hate me, but I think anything pre-99 is ugly. Square headlight, looks like the front of the bike did a faceplant, the huge turn signals... I can appreciate that others really like them and I'd never make fun of the rider or what's underneath the platics... But it's gotta be naked or post-99 for me to really want to ride it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I do know the black ones didn't sell as fast as the red ones did. The local dealer had an SS and a 907ie on the floor in late '92, both black. Said he was having trouble moving them because no one liked the colour. I kinda liked them and seriously considered buying the 907ie but the warden put the kiebosh to that idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The black ones were actually metallic charcoal. They are relatively rare, I think around 60 were imported to the US for 1992. The funny part is, some, or at least mine, were originally red. A small bit of paint wore away under my seat. Bright red....

I can't say they get a premium, but you sure don't see many around. In fact, I have never seen another one when riding. I sure as hell wouldn't call it ugly, but then, see my avatar.

Alot of the early supersports actually used colored plastics, so the red you see could also be the red plastic. Crazy, it looks alot like Ducati red, but with a softer matte finish.

The blacks are definitely cool, but there's nothing like a red one to scream Ducati...Then again, all of the supersports were awesome bikes...too bad they don't have a set of fairings for the 1100 engine, it'ld be an awesome SS

·
Registered
662 Posts
Take a look at the Deland Auction results last week. Lots of product, old and new. A 900SS Black sold for $5,100. That's a high price compared to a lot of product that moved that week. Prices were way down. Ducatis overall stood out as far as bringing reasobable dollars. One thing that would matter to a collector would be that a Black SS be original factory paint. A lot of dealers reportedly painted them red because they just were not moving.

I think they look great, always did.

http://www.vintage-rider.com/Deland_Results.pdf

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1 = I always wanted a red Ducati.....but ended up with a black 95 SP with red frame......I think it's gorgeous. I'll be posting recent pics soon.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Yea, it's red paint. The way it was told to me, is all they bikes were painted red to start. Then, they took any with a paint blemish and repainted them to the Charcoal metallic. They didn't sell that well, so 1992 was the last year (and I have heard that some were repainted red again, so they would sell).

One of the guys in our club has one. I think it looks really cool. I think Chris Kelley's firs SS was also a charcoal one, he probably still has some pics and stuff on his site..
Thanks! I think they look really cool too ;)

You're all gonna hate me, but I think anything pre-99 is ugly. Square headlight, looks like the front of the bike did a faceplant, the huge turn signals... I can appreciate that others really like them and I'd never make fun of the rider or what's underneath the platics... But it's gotta be naked or post-99 for me to really want to ride it.
BTW... Some of us think it's the post '98 that are ugly!

·
Registered
110 Posts
A guy in our club has a black '92. I saw it last night for the first time at Twains in Decatur at European Bike Night. I have to say that it was pretty impressive and looked better in person than photos that I've seen. It drew a pretty good crowd, but no one had the cajones to scratch off a little paint to see if there was red underneath :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
aHH , THE POST 99 syndrome. Thats the last design they used just prior to killing off the SS line right? I remember that.

"Its dead Jim"

What I meant to say is, heres a charcoal SS coming back from track rescue. Hooked the header in the bowl @ NHIS, in front of me ... Progressive totalled the bike. In hindsight that was a CRIME !!

http://picasaweb.google.com/dezmoduo/June252000#5315077225573256306

1 - 20 of 21 Posts