Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anything on some type of stumpy slip ons as stock items, so:
..are these some rare factory stock critter? ..
..modified/shortened big bazooka stockers?
..aftermarkets?

... they really look like stock issue but they're so short. I looked over the whole entire internet (or maybe not) and was unable to locate anything on stubby stockers.

This bike appears to be "just" an SS ... steel swingin arm? (hard to tell) ... but those mufflers look stock .. sort of .. but shorter? I think I can see the ~Ducati~ logo on them, on my stockers that logo is farther towards the end (I think it would be chopped off if the mufflers were shortened that much). Dunno. The mounting tab looks like stock Ducati as well. Really just don't know shit! (that would be me alrighty!)

Best guess?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
std mufflers cut down
Thanks! The pop rivets raised suspicion .. I kindof thought they were modded stockers. What tossed me a bit is it sortof looks like the DUCATI label is still on the muffler (it may be something other than that however).

Looking at my own stockers from the '96CR it looks a bit like if the muffler were cut as short as those in that image the DUCATI label would be cut off. I suppose Ducati made (or bought?) mufflers over the years that had the labeling changed a little. Stands to reason at least.

Here's the stock ones that came with my '96CR. Thanks for the help, I was curious. :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just my opo but those short cut off's look like shit lol
(coming from the guy that thinks ~beemers~ are pretty) ... haahaa! ;) (dude, I'm joking, don't get mad)
... so i'm cruising the forum and someone brought this up to the surface today (not me!) ....

LINK: Stock ST Exhaust Mod

Some say those shortened stock (heavy as an Army tank) mufflers look bad ... maybe some folks don't have the loose cash to dump on $700 tips or $3K on a prestige item (full system) ... so cutting the stockers is an option that's open to such people.

:)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Or take your time and look around, The exhaust I have on my 91 900SS are a set of Carbon Tech slip-on's, They look almost new with no damage and I picked them up for $150.00 and they weigh almost nothing lol. I just acquired another set of slip-on's that were made by BCD -aluminum cans--they weigh a little more then my Carbon Tech pipes but not a hell of a lot. Again I got a good deal on those as well. The deals are out there as long as you are not in a screaming hurry. --As for stock pipes if you just want them louder take them apart and gut them, maybe redesign the inside where you can play with packing and reassemble--But dont cut them to make them look like crap.
It's like the pipes on my race bike they are just as long as the stock pipes maybe even a hair longer --they are open reverse cones. There is a formula for building pipes (I dont have it with me right now or I would post it) but it tells you what to do

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
the early originals have a removable baffle in the end - the a/b04 from memory. you just grind off the spot weld and slide hammer it out. makes them very loud and harsh. was the factory race notes mod for the 89> 851.

the later larger 888 mufflers that went on some of the usa bound 900ss varients don't. pretty sure that's your a/b11.

·
Registered
1994 Ducati ss/cr
67 Posts
Some more muffler mod info. for those with an excess of time on their hands.....
I was fooling with un corking an extra set of stock pipes. There are three chambers inside with a lot of plumbing.
Removed most all the center section piping (2), but left the inlet/outlet end tubes in place. Pretty much short circuits five baffle tubes.
Stitched the perforated shell back together & reassembled, looks stock, a little lighter.
Strangely enough, there is almost NO change in exhaust note or noise level ....Stealth ?
I'll have to weigh the tubes I butchered out.
I've since gone to an aluminum set of performance cans, but if the noise gets annoying I may revisit this mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Those are actually a lot more complicated inside than I thought they would be.

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
Thats too much work for little benefit.
Chop saw out the entire inside baffle and tack weld in some perforated cores. Pack the outside of the cores and rivet is back together and you have the equal to most aftermarket mufflers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts