Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are swapping USED DP Ecu's between bikes just plug in play and safe?

Can I just take a DP ecu off one sport classic and try it in another bike by just pluggin it in and turning the bike on? That wont change any of the settings or anything if I put the DP ecu back into the original bike will it?

I dont want to mess anything up so I thought I d ask first

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The downside to that short answer is: the huge majority of the time, the ECU has been "red keyed" if it was dealer installed.

So, either it trades effortlessly, or (more often) it won't function at all.

Edit: The red key has electronic components inside it that allow the ECU to bond to that one bike's instrument group. Without being bonded in this way, some of the features (such as the anti-theft immobilizer) will not work. Once the ECU has been bonded to a machine with the red key, it will not function at all on any other bike (unless you traded the instrument group along with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The downside to that short answer is: the huge majority of the time, the ECU has been "red keyed" if it was dealer installed.

So, either it trades effortlessly, or (more often) it won't function at all.

Edit: The red key has electronic components inside it that allow the ECU to bond to that one bike's instrument group. Without being bonded in this way, some of the features (such as the anti-theft immobilizer) will not work. Once the ECU has been bonded to a machine with the red key, it will not function at all on any other bike (unless you traded the instrument group along with it.
so if I plug it into the other bike and it runs it was not red keyed and if it does nothing then it was never red keyed. But either way it shouldn't do anything to the ecu if I try it then put it back in the original bike?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It is also recommended that you re-set the TPS (throttle position sensor) whenever you replace the ECU or the wiring. It seems silly, since you're not messing with the TPS, but I suspect it has to do with calibration between the ECU & the sensor. It's a quick and simple thing to do, but you will need the software & connector to do it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
so if I plug it into the other bike and it runs it was not red keyed and if it does nothing then it was never red keyed. But either way it shouldn't do anything to the ecu if I try it then put it back in the original bike?
I assume you meant to say "and if it does nothing then it was red keyed." Other than that, you've got it right. Jeff's note about the TPS is also important.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts