Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has just eaten another (good quality) MOSFET regulator. I also have a lithium battery. Does anybody know of any difficulty with this combination? I heard a long while ago that MOSFET regs may overheat when the bike has little load. As I also have LED lights everywhere the electric aren't that stretched although it is an injection bike so it will still use a bit of power at idle. This time the bike was sitting at idle for about 10 minutes to warm it up for calibration. The last time was after a cold start and about 3 mins at idle. Any insights from electrical gurus would be most welcome.

·
Super Moderator
26,540 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
My own experience....genuine Shindengen Mosfet FH010 (from a Kaw ZX10) on my 900SS now for 10 years, sourced used $50 on ebay in '09, upon install increased stator output wire gauges entire length, deleted mid connectors.
RR mounted in stock location on steering head, runs cool ....enabling its long, reliable life. Avoid the copy cat versions all over the market...genuine Shindengen only.
I've used a Ballistic brand lithium battery for the last 5-6 (?) years now, no drama.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Every bit of information I’ve seen tells me I must use a special charger for lithium batteries, yet I’m supposed to put that same lithium battery in a 40 year old bike with its ancient charging system and think nothing of it. Fellas, you can’t have it both ways.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So yeah i've got the Ballistic charger as well...over yearly winter break I perform the balance/charge procedure as dictated by their instructions. I installed a voltmeter....the Shindengen RR and Ballistic battery seem to play very well together, as evidenced by an impressive, reliable history.....when it works I have a tendency to go with it.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Not all lithium batteries are the same. Shorai has brand recognition, like Kleenex.

What Shorai is missing is an on board voltage regulator to protect the internal battery cells from over voltage protection. I have an EarthX lithium battery that has an onboard regulator, and other lithium battery manufacturers have similar in their "2nd Generation" batteries. It works fine with my standard battery charger and non-OEM shunted old-style regulator that has direct to battery charging.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Psyopper, that's pretty much what I came up with. However it seems the battery may not have been or only been part of the problem. Apparently too little current draw from the battery causes the regulator to over heat as it is trying to dump all those unused electrons! I've got LED everything to reduce the load on the genny! This artical explains it and the possible solution.

ttps://www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/electrical-ignition/2727-shindengen-fh020aa-versus-the-newer-sh847

·
Super Moderator
26,540 Posts
I've always guessed that LED-everything isn't a good idea as all that current being generated has to go somewhere and it's just making the regulator work overtime.

It's a system, a balance and I think messing with any part of it isn't a good plan.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did the set up tonight with a new battery and borrowed regulator AND LEFT THE LIGHTS ON. Mission accomplished. Sounds like time to fit those heated grips that have been sitting in the cupboard for the last year and a half!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts