Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like i will be trading down from my 749 to a gt1000 in the coming week. only problem is i cant decide whether i am better off selling my 749 private party or taking the dealer trade offer.

i asked someone who sold a similar 749 to mine (stock 2006 red biposto with under 2000 miles) on craigslist what he got for it and he said $6000. then i asked another ducatisti i know and he thought that was "pretty high actually."

my dealer has offered me $7500 in trade for mine, and this bike is listed at close to $9500 in the NADA guide. are 749's really selling for this little? should i accept the dealer offer and run??

please note, this is NOT a for sale posting or ad, i really just need some solid advice about what my bike is worth so as to make a sound financial decision on buying my next duc.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think $6000 would be a good deal for your bike, but I would also say that I saw a 999 with a carbon termi pipe and another $1000 or so in extras and 4000 miles sell for $6400 on ebay recently. It looked like it was in perfect shape. I wasn't interested in it, just happened to be on there when it only had a couple of minutes left, watched the auction end.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Are they giving you a deal on the price of the GT1000 you are getting?

Did they plan the price according to your trade? Or did you negotiate first THEN say you had a bike to trade in? Either way, whenever i've done a trade in, it doesn't matter how much they give on the trade really, as long as i'm spending the exact amount I planned on spending when I walk out the door. Whether they give me an extra 1k on my trade or 1k off the price of the bike...the final amount you spend is the important part....to me anyways. I know lots of people do it differently.

EDIT: Either way 7500 doesn't sound like a bad trade in price at all...but i'm a little out of the loop on 749 current values.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i don't know how michigan works, but consider, too, the effect on sales tax on the trade in. in nj, if you trade a $7500 vehicle in towards a, say, $10k vehicle you only pay sales tax on the difference, $2500.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It seems that the 749's have a high blue book for some reason. Particularly if you have an S, and of course the R's are nuts. I don't know why??? Privately you should be able to find a nice Biposto for around 6 I would imagine.

I recently did about $7,500 damage at a non race event on the track to my '06 749s. Took it to the dealer, "its totaled" Had the insurance adjuster take a look with the dealer and the insurance company didn't want to total the bike, nor did I. The dealer was amazed and even told the adjuster that he can find perfect 749s's all day for around 6k. I love that bike so took the check and had the dealer fix the bike. This adjuster also noted that the "book" value was close to 9k??

GO figure

Mark

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i don't know how michigan works, but consider, too, the effect on sales tax on the trade in. in nj, if you trade a $7500 vehicle in towards a, say, $10k vehicle you only pay sales tax on the difference, $2500.
Michigan doesn't work that way...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Kind of off topic, but does insurance cover a bike if the damage occurred in a "non race" event? I have often wondered what would happen if my street bike went down doing a track day.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It will depend on your insurance company but usually you are covered if it's not timed event.

D.

Kind of off topic, but does insurance cover a bike if the damage occurred in a "non race" event? I have often wondered what would happen if my street bike went down doing a track day.

·
Registered
228 Posts
damn

I quess ill just keep my duc if thats all anyone wants to give me for it. To the OP take the trade in offer. Thats really good deal if you just want a new bike.
Ive seen a couple 999's around the east coast going for 6,000 and 6,500. The Market Sucks Right Now, hope it comes back around soon.

·
Registered
334 Posts
it just the market right now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My 999 will be worth ONE MILLION DOLLARS someday, I am sure of it.
:crazy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts