Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gates make the cam belts for Ducati.

The belts for the 98 900SL F.E. (and I asume all earlier 900 SS models) have 70 round edged teeth and are 18mm wide.

Gates belts currently come in three grades. Gates refer to these as generation 1,2, and 3 on their box labelling.

Generation 1, Neo - Neopreme. Ships in the blue box. Has white writing on the belt. (Very cheap 1/2 the price of Ducati branded Gates belts). The Gates part number for these is T934. If you ring Gates as I did this is the belt that they offer for the pre 98 900 SS. Contary to rumour this grade of belt has not been phased out.

Generation 2, HTN- High temperature Neopreme Ships in a green box. Not sure what colour writing is on the belt.

Generation 3, HSN - Highly Saturated Nitrile with Aramid (Kevlar is another name for aramid). Ships in a red box. Not sure what colour the writing is on the belt. I am not sure if Gates even makes a HSN version of the T934 belt or if they do whether you are forced to buy it through Ducati?

There has been some suggestion that the colour of the writing on the Gates branded belts indicates what generation they are.

1st generation = white lettering
2nd generarion =green lettering?
3rd generation = red lettering?

However the guy I spoke to at Gates (N.Z. Country manger) said the colour of the writing on the belts does not indicate what generation they are. He also said that their agreement with Ducati is that they will only supply belts through the Gates channel for bikes over 5 years old.

The term 'generation' may mislead a few people because Ducati still make and supply 1st generation belts and 2nd generation belts for some applications.

It is quite possible that Ducati specify red writing on all of their belts no matter what generation the belts are. It is also possible that Ducati specify 1st generation belts for pre 98 2V engines which are not kevlar/aramid belts and 3rd generation for later models! I haven't seen Ducati claim anywhere that their pre 98, 2V belts are kevlar (go on prove me wrong on this one!). As far as I know the ducati part number for the the pre 98 900 SS has always been 73710011A? (although there is some suggestion from one dealer that it used to be 73740021A).

I am curious to know if the belts that Ducati supply for the 900 SS are simply the 1st generation belts that Gates now sell as aftermarket belts for the 900 SS through their own distribution channel?

Despite rumours I haven't been able to find any confirmation that the belts that Ducati currently ship for the 1991-1998 900SS are HSN generation 3.

Can anyone confirm this as fact?

Many thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The red belts you get at the dealership are the later kevlar belts. They even have a production date stamped on them.
That might be true for belts for fuel injected 900's after 1998 but I am not sure that red letter belts for carburetted bikes are kevlar.

Do you have an official Ducati ref source URL for your information or just internet hearsay from dealers, etc.

I suspect there is some misinformation out there.

One thing I haven't determined yet is do the current Ducati branded belts for teh carburetted 900's have red or white lettering?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I haven't determined yet is do the current Ducati branded belts for teh carburetted 900's have red or white lettering?
I have just confirmed. I rang my local dealer has red lettered Ducati branded belts for carburetted 900 SS in stock (I got him to get these out and have a look at the writing to be sure) ... However he can not confirm these are Kevlar belts.

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
Gates make the cam belts for Ducati.

The belts for the 98 900SL F.E. (and I asume all earlier 900 SS models) have 70 round edged teeth and are 18mm wide.

Gates belts currently come in three grades. Gates refer to these as generation 1,2, and 3 on their box labelling.

Generation 1, Neo - Neopreme. Ships in the blue box. Has white writing on the belt. (Very cheap 1/3 the price of Ducati branded Gates belts). The Gates part number for these is T934. If you ring Gates as I did this is the belt that they offer for the pre 98 900 SS. Contary to rumour this grade of belt has not been phased out.

Generation 2, HTN- High temperature Neopreme Ships in a green box. Not sure what colour writing is on the belt.

Generation 3, HSN - Highly Saturated Nitrile with Aramid (Kevlar is another name for aramid). Ships in a red box. Not sure what colour the writing is on the belt. I am not sure if Gates even makes a HSN version of the T934 belt or if they do whether you are forced to buy it through Ducati?

There has been some suggestion that the colour of the writing on the Gates branded belts indicates what generation they are.

1st generation = white lettering
2nd generarion =green lettering?
3rd generation = red lettering?

However the guy I spoke to at Gates (N.Z. Country manger) said the colour of the writing on the belts does not indicate what generation they are. He also said that their agreement with Ducati is that they will only supply belts through the Gates channel for bikes over 5 years old.

The term 'generation' may mislead a few people because Ducati still make and supply 1st generation belts and 2nd generation belts for some applications.

It is quite possible that Ducati specify red writing on all of their belts no matter what generation the belts are. It is also possible that Ducati specify 1st generation belts for pre 98 2V engines which are not kevlar/aramid belts and 3rd generation for later models! I haven't seen Ducati claim anywhere that their pre 98, 2V belts are kevlar (go on prove me wrong on this one!). As far as I know the ducati part number for the the pre 98 900 SS has always been 73710011A.

I am curious to know if the belts that Ducati supply for the 900 SS are simply the 1st generation belts that Gates now sell as aftermarket belts for the 900 SS through their own distribution channel?

Despite rumours I haven't been able to find any confirmation that the belts that Ducati currently ship for the 1991-1998 900SS are HSN generation 3.

Can anyone confirm this as fact?

Many thanks
Just curious, are you saying that the 2001 ST4 belts should be Gates distributed or are you talking about the time from the end of the production run, which would be 2003 in my case? If so, I'm hoping that may lead to a drop in price soon?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, are you saying that the 2001 ST4 belts should be Gates distributed or are you talking about the time from the end of the production run, which would be 2003 in my case? If so, I'm hoping that may lead to a drop in price soon?

Have a good one.
I am not sure. But I suspect it is 5 years from the introduction of the product. Bear and mind that if they introduce a new version cam belt for an old model the five year count down may start from the date they introduced the new version.

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
I am not sure. But I suspect it is 5 years from the introduction of the product. Bear and mind that if they introduce a new version cam belt for an old model the five year count down may start from the date they introduced the new version.
Interesting.

Good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As far as I know the ducati part number for the the pre 98 900 SS has always been 73710011A? (although there is some suggestion from one dealer that it used to be 73740021A).
For peace of mind I purchased some Ducati belts this morning. Interesting the cardboard wrap says the part number is 73710011A yet the belts have a part number or 737.400.21A written on them. The belts have some white writing on them but most of the writing is red. The writing on the belts says PowerGrip HTD made in the UK and also has the Gates logo on them.

I then got hold of a set of the Gates T934 NEO belts and compared the belts.

The belts are different.

1. The inner side of the Ducati belts is more textured yet shiny compared to the Gates T934 belt.
  2. The Outer side of the Ducati belts has a coarser feel (rougher texture) than the outer side of the Gates T934 belt
  3. The Ducati belts also feel stiffer - less floppy than the Gates T934 belts.
  4. From what I can see of the cordage the colour of the cordage in both belts seems the same and I can not determine the typical yellow characteristic of Kevlar in either belt.

In conclusion I don't know if these Ducati belts have kevlar but they are definitely a different belt and to play it safe I am sticking with them.

Hope this has been of value/interest to someone other than myself.

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
For peace of mind I purchased some Ducati belts this morning. Interesting the cardboard wrap says the part number is 73710011A yet the belts have a part number or 737.400.21A written on them. The belts have some white writing on them but most of the writing is red. The writing on the belts says PowerGrip HTD made in the UK and also has the Gates logo on them.

The belts are different.

1. The inner side of the Ducati belts is more textured yet shiny compared to the Gates T934 belt.
  2. The Outer side of the Ducati belts has a coarser feel (rougher texture) than the outer side of the Gates T934 belt
  4. From what I can see of the cordage the colour of the cordage in both belts seems the same and I can not determine the typical yellow characteristic of Kevlar in either belt.

In conclusion I don't know if these Ducati belts have kevlar but they are definitely a different belt and to play it safe I am sticking with them.

Yes it is of value and interest.

It doesn't exactly apply to my 4v, but it raises some questions.

You may want to check LT's forum over at DesmoTimes about some of this. He's a big SS fan and might have some answers regard these particular belts.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a set of belts I purchased at local dealer and looked at them but mine doesn't say power grip it reads in red ducati motor 737.1001.1A & 737.4002.1A gates made in UK the core is red which I believe is Kevlar no website or facts to support it I'm going off memory from a gates seminar I attended the the paper sleeve says part # 73710011A ST2 98 M900-SS900 99

The belts are different.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a set purchased here in UK from a Ducati dealer and they too have red writing DUCATIMOTOR 737.4002.1A, the Gates logo and PowerGrip HTD Made in UK.

On the sleeve it also says 73710011A ST2 '98 and M900-SS900 '99

The last part being a little concerning as I bought them for my '93 SS900

They look the same as the ones I bought 2 years ago but I may just check with JHP before I fit them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the sleeve it also says 73710011A ST2 '98 and M900-SS900 '99

The last part being a little concerning as I bought them for my '93 SS900
I think the ones you have are identical to the ones I bought for my 98 F.E. (same labelling on the wrap). I think you will find they are the wrong ones for your bike. Let me know when you have checked.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the ones you have are identical to the ones I bought for my 98 F.E. (same labelling on the wrap). I think you will find they are the wrong ones for your bike. Let me know when you have checked.
I've compared my new belts to the ones I took off 2 years ago and they are identical in every way.

70 rounded tooths and 18mm wide. Couldn't read the writing on the old ones as it had worn off.

Took some photos of the new ones if it is of any use......

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just compared my new belt with the original that came off my bike last night. My bike had never had the cam belts changed before (very low mileage - has only just done 12,000km!) and the previous owner had ignored the 2 year belt change recommendation.

The latest belt is different. The original belt looks like the Gates T934 belt. On the original belt you can see the longitudinal fibres that go around the circumference (as seen in the picture in the previous post) but you can not see the tufts of the transverse fibres that are just visible sticking out from the sides of the belt (as also seen in the picture in the previous post).

Warning the following is unconfirmed speculation: I suspect the original belts that Ducati used were the Gates T934 belts. At some stage I believe Ducati changed/upgraded the belts. Gates say they are allowed to sell product through their channel as aftermarket parts after 5 years, which now allows them to sell the original belts but not the later ones through their channels. I am not convinced these later belts for the 900 have Kevlar/aramid in them but they are definitely different.

Perhaps someone could cut up a 2 year old belt and see if there are any yellow kevlar/aramid fibres in it?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
at my last employer we had been fitting locally available gates T934 belts to 900 as long as i'd been there - since july 94, and they are the gates gen 1. all 900 belts are the same dimensionally.

interestingly the old square tooth pantah belts are gates gen 2, forget the number now. we were also buying them when they were still used in production - up to '97 600 and 750 motors. the std style head 4v belts are the same as a renault i think - T917 - and are gen 3. we never used them, mainly because the boss didn't know you could get them. if they're the same as the 851 belts then they're still pretty good, we only starting seeing lots of broken 4v belts in '98 or so when the first 916 and 748 bikes were 3 years old. i've only ever seen 2 or 3 broken 2v belts.

i don't think it has anything to do with 5 years, more about what else it fits and whether or not they perceive a big enough market to sell them outside the one customer who will order a lot - ducati. ducati may also hold proprietry over the size, up to them i guess. i doubt we'll ever see st4 or testa belts as gates generic. i haven't been all thru my catalogue comparing sizes, but the gates timing belt catalogue does list the 3 ducati belts available so if they had the others i expect they'd list them.

the later spec 2v belts are about the same price as the 4v ones too - about $110 or so out here. altho testa belts are about $170 each now!

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
at my last employer we had been fitting locally available gates T934 belts to 900 as long as i'd been there - since july 94, and they are the gates gen 1. all 900 belts are the same dimensionally.

interestingly the old square tooth pantah belts are gates gen 2, forget the number now. we were also buying them when they were still used in production - up to '97 600 and 750 motors. the std style head 4v belts are the same as a renault i think - T917 - and are gen 3. we never used them, mainly because the boss didn't know you could get them. if they're the same as the 851 belts then they're still pretty good, we only starting seeing lots of broken 4v belts in '98 or so when the first 916 and 748 bikes were 3 years old. i've only ever seen 2 or 3 broken 2v belts.

i don't think it has anything to do with 5 years, more about what else it fits and whether or not they perceive a big enough market to sell them outside the one customer who will order a lot - ducati. ducati may also hold proprietry over the size, up to them i guess. i doubt we'll ever see st4 or testa belts as gates generic. i haven't been all thru my catalogue comparing sizes, but the gates timing belt catalogue does list the 3 ducati belts available so if they had the others i expect they'd list them.

the later spec 2v belts are about the same price as the 4v ones too - about $110 or so out here. altho testa belts are about $170 each now!
Excellent info. It is great to hear the history.

I guess there is no hope for the 4v. Now, hands up. Who wants that 1098-powered ST? Sheez.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bradblack greate information thanks. The price on the belts has come down I bought some Ducati branded belts for a 2V 900 SS from my local distributor in NZ for the equivalent of $35.00(US) each last week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been watching this thread with great interest as I'm a fellow NZ Ducati owner and my 2000 ss is 5 thou Km away from a belt change and I want to make sure I get good belts but not pay a fortune.

Nice FE BTW wobblyas. Is that yours in your avitar?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice FE BTW wobblyas. Is that yours in your avitar?
Yes, just purchased it a couple of weeks ago. Got to go for my first good ride on Sunday and so far very happy with it. Which IT company are you with in Wellington ... I used to be in the IT industry a few years ago and know a lot

1 - 20 of 25 Posts