Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In other words, did all 748R front rotors have the same specs across all the model years?

a. An aluminum (gold anodized) rotor carrier
b. 15 mm rotor carrier offset
c. 4.0 mm minimum thickness

Just curious...

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
When I was researching 15mm offset discs for my 916 (1198 Ohlins forks) I looked at 748R discs.

I was told/discovered that some model year 748R used the 15mm offset and some the 10mm, can't remember which was which now but you need to be aware when buying.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, you've confirmed what I've learned the hard way...

:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
916/996/998 front wheel on an 1198 fork

Just out of curiosity are you trying to put a wheel from a 916/996/998 onto a set of mono block calliper forks from a 1098/1198? I'm about to try and put a 998 wheel 6 bolt rotor style onto a monster S4RS and was curious what is needed to do it. I'm assuming the 15mm 748 rotors and a spacer of some sort to replace the speedo drive would be necessary but I'm just guessing at this point. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Thanks

Thanks guys, you've confirmed what I've learned the hard way...

:(

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Just out of curiosity are you trying to put a wheel from a 916/996/998 onto a set of mono block calliper forks from a 1098/1198? I'm about to try and put a 998 wheel 6 bolt rotor style onto a monster S4RS and was curious what is needed to do it. I'm assuming the 15mm 748 rotors and a spacer of some sort to replace the speedo drive would be necessary but I'm just guessing at this point. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Thanks
This is what I did although I did away with the speedo drive and fitted a (30mm) spacer instead as I have a digital dash with pickup from rear wheel.

Basically it's a simple job, you need the 1198 spindle and RH spacer to go with the forks. AFAIK you can still fit the speedo drive but there is no locating lug on the forks so you need to position carefully before tightening the spindle.

The only complication is that you need 15mm offset 6-hole discs - as above 748R (and IIRC 998R) used these, you could use 5mm spacers but I wouldn't recommend as the disc then doesn't sit on the wheel flange plus you may have clearance issues with the speedo drive being fouled by the (now 5mm further out) bolt heads ?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks
You're on the right track. All you need to know is in this thread:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/128913-848-forks-1997-748-what-s-needed-swap.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts