Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, this isn't good on anything I've worked on. I noticed this today while doing a little maintenance before tomorrows track day. There is just a little arching from the plug wire cap to the head.

How serious and do I need to address quickly or when I get to it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
stray electrons

The issue is that the spark plug wiring is seeing it's better days. Replace it. How soon? As soon as you can get your hands on new wires. Will your duc stop running soon? Probably not, but those stray electrons will serve you better igniting the fuel than arcing randomly in the air.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree, you should change them as soon as you can. But you could do a temporary fix by removing the damaged wire and inspecting it. Find the small hole or crack and wrap it in some electrical tape. You might need to slightly bend the wire to see it if it's a really fine crack in the insulation. P.S you can see the arching better at night if you can't the crack.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Are you running the original metal shrouded plug caps?I'm assuming you are talking about the 93 in your profile. The arcing can and will cause a misfire at high load/rpm.The quick bodge is to remove the shield from the plug cap and wrap it with some electrical tape. A better fix is to run down to your local bike shop and get some NGK plug ends in the 5K ohm variety.They just unscrew off the wire and are easy to replace.It helps to keep an extra as the wire clip inside the cap sometimes loses tension and causes the misfire again.The standard ign wires are solid core and last a very long time before the insulation goes bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts