Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have long wanted an Arai helmet but have historically eliminated them from my helmet purchasing because I could not find a local dealer who stocked them and as built in sun shades became standard in many helmets I had a hard time paying an Arai price and not getting an internal sun shade.

Last year I read about the Corsair X with a more neutral shape and their relatively new Pro Shade sun visor and I decided to give it a try. The drop down sun visor in my Schuberth C3, C3 Pro and Shoei GT Air are very effective but noticeably change air flow when the sun shield is down. I wanted to see if Arai approach was better and liked the idea of the smaller shell size.

I was disappointed I could not get the Corsair X with the Pro Shade sun visor included in with the helmet so I purchased both the Corsair X and Pro Shade and gave it a try.

After a couple of rides I concluded I like the Corsair X with the Pro Shade better than the GT Air in every way other than how it fits my head and I love my GT Air. The advantages I see in the Arai is the shell is much smaller and despite my skepticism about the Pro Shade system, it works better than the drop down visors. In the up position the shade does not catch the wind and can act as an effective sun visor without shading the primary shield. As you lower it there are several positions you can place the shield to give partial or full shading. There are so many vents on the front of this helmet including the main shield that you get great air flow no matter what position the shade is in.

Compared to the GT Air, both very comfortable, have excellent liners and flow lots of air without being loud. I’d say the Corsair X flows more air but both are excellent at moving air while remaining quiet.

I’m ultimately putting this up for sale because I have a few excellent helmets and this one does not fit my head quite as well as others I have. I could address it with different pads but with other good choices in my closet I’m going to let this one go. The issue for my head is I have a bit more room in the temples than I’d like and I just love the Shoei shape for my head.

These helmets are going for about $760 new and the optional Pro Shade is about $80 making the total purchase price near $840. I’m asking $525 for this helmet which includes shipping to the lower 48 states.

The helmet has a “born on date” of M2015. It is a LARGE, 7 ¼ to 7 3/8 and aluminum silver in color. It has both the original shield which was used for about 200 miles or less and the Pro Shade shield system which was used for 200 miles or less. Pin lock is included and never used.

A review can be seen here: http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/08/01...-need-to-know/.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Price reduced to $475.00 which includes shipping to the lower 48 states.

I did not have an edit option to edit the original post.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If it was white I would buy it.

So - my minor complaint with the Shoei GT-Air is when in a tuck position the top of the opening obscures my straight ahead view. I have to uncomfortably arch my chin up to see directly ahead, can't just look forward and up with my eyes. Does the Arai have a larger top to bottom view, in your opinion?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was white I would buy it.

So - my minor complaint with the Shoei GT-Air is when in a tuck position the top of the opening obscures my straight ahead view. I have to uncomfortably arch my chin up to see directly ahead, can't just look forward and up with my eyes. Does the Arai have a larger top to bottom view, in your opinion?
That is a good question. All of my bikes are upright bikes so I don't know I can give you an answer which is not too subjective. My gut reaction was it would be more appropriate for a leaned over position than the GT Air as the GT Air is not a helmet built with the track/leaned over riding as much as the Corsair X is. I took a look to see if there were any reviews which could speak to this and found this one which may help:Arai Corsair-X Review - webBikeWorld. Scroll down to the section Faceshield, Eye POrt & Visibility. I trust the opinion of these guys more than I trust my limited time with the helmet.

I do know the visibility is excellent in general with this helmet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.