Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I just posted to my blog a nice long step-by-step (with pictures) install and review of an APTC clutch install into my 2008 Hypermotard. I've never done anything like that before, so it was a fun learning experience. I just thought some people here might appreciate the information.

http://lookfirst.com/2009/08/project-aptc-adler-power-torque-clutch.html

cheers.
cool write-up ... the photos really help clearly illustrate the installation.

if you ever make it down to ducati bike night in either santana row or palo alto, please pm me, so i can look for you and your hypertard ... really want to see the clutch installed in person.

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does this require special clutch plates, or do standard Ducati OEM and aftermarket plates fit? I realize it comes with a set, but I'm thinking future maintenance. Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
great write up. Interesting banner ad at the bottom as well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
so talk to me about the loss of engine braking, is it only on a down shift you loose that initial engine braking? if i was at say 6000rpm in 2nd and just let go of the gas I will still have the same engine braking as before right?

is it adjustable? I like to get the back wheel to slide letting the clutch out but want to stop it hopping, is this tuneable?

is it quieter than the stock? mine is getting pretty noisy and worn out, as its using the original basket if its worn i guess its still a prob with this. it comes with new clutch plates right?

how much and who from?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I'll hop in and answer some of the questions since I've used the clutch and we sell it because we really like it.

@merovingian - the clutch pull is around half of the original clutch pull! It is quite unbelieveable how light the pull is actually.

@PedroHM - the engine braking is completely tunable with the shims that are included. Also there are comprehensive instructions on how to set the clutch up to acheive your goals for it. It is quiter than stock, but as you mentioned that is generally a tolerance thing... as the plates wear into the basket it will get louder as well. Since the plates and basket are aluminum it isn't too loud though. We sell it at $1496 including plates (uses the stock basket or you can switch to an aftermarket basket). Here is a link: http://www.store.commoto.com/adler-aptc-slipper-clutch-ducati-clutch-p-29615.html

Some other cool info about this clutch.

- No lever vibration which you get with a lot of other slipper clutches.
- Includes holding tool for easy install.
- Doesn't use ball bearings and ramps like DP, STM, etc... has a double hub design with helix profile using 4 opening and 4 closing springs so no periodic maintnence like lubing the ramps on the other brands.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is the Adler enough lighter that you can feel the effect - like a lightened flywheel. I would assume the aftermarket aluminum basket is made for faster spool up?

Do you have a stats on the weight reduction?

·
Registered
346 Posts
The OEM clutch basket on the Hyper is also of aluminum, so you do not get
as much weight reduction as you would with some older model Ducatis when
going to an aftermarket basket. Some of them are better made/longer lasting
than the OEM, though, and some have less slop and chatter to begin with, if
reduced noise is a want.

Here's an interesting lightweight non-slipper clutch form Wagner-Lewis...

http://store.proitalia.com/wlc001.html

Quote:
-You can back it in! Predictable performance lets you ride your Hypermotard supermoto style.

- It's light. Your engine revs up faster when it is not spinning a slipper clutches heavy components.

Wagner Lewis is an innovative company specializing in high performance clutches for Ducati motorcycles.
The WL Clutch was created simply because we wanted a rattle free long lasting clutch that would
compliment the beautiful technical design of the Ducati engine.
End quote/

At $1850, it better be good! :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts