Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As long as they're there, it'd be nice if the front blinkers (or rear, for that matter) stayed on for extra visibility at night. Anyone tried to figure out how to do this?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did that on a Jap bike. It's not horribly difficult, but it's not quite that easy, either. You have to put in new sockets (for dual-filament bulbs) and then tap the light circuit to power the lower-wattage filament. You may however have to figure out how to mount the new sockets, but that's what mods and creativity are all about, no?

The only other concern may be legality. Since I left the rear lenses alone, once when I got pulled over the cop pointed out that I was in violation of the law, because steady lights to the rear were required to be red in color (the lenses on the Kaw were amber). I can't recall what I told him but since he was giving me the speeding ticket anyway, I guess he had some pity, because I didn't get cited for the light violation.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Dietrich will know.

(good god, just realizing how many times LA-DUC or myself have pronounced these exact words... Dietrich you're a guru.. )

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hahah...thanks David. Just getting ready to respond when I saw your post... :)

I did this on my GT almost from day one as I do think it is safer at night. However I'm thinking recently of getting more rebelious and using smaller signals with no running lights. I simply did as mentioned above and found the smallest dual element sockets I could find, shaved them down even more, and retrofitted them to the stock signal housings. I tapped the wire for the small parking light in the headlight housing to power the lower wattage element for constant on running lights. Not sure why all bikes don't come stock this way. I have thought about doing the rears also, but haven't decided if I want red lenses back there.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
. . . Not sure why all bikes don't come stock this way . . .
I've wondered about this too. Maybe to keep the retro character of the bikes (or using this as an excuse to cut costs)? Do the front blinkers in other Ducs serve double as running lights?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've wondered about this too. Maybe to keep the retro character of the bikes (or using this as an excuse to cut costs)? Do the front blinkers in other Ducs serve double as running lights?
I'd be interested to know if they are setup as running lights on other Duc's too. It'd actually seem opposite of the retro feel to me, as both my '78 and '80 Honda 400's both run the front blinkers as runners stock...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago on my Bonneville by a dipshit officer that asked me why my bike didn't have running lights on it. I told him neither of my bikes have them, and he said, "Well you're supposed to have them, and I know, because I ride a bike too." (a Harley)

I just played possum and he let me go, but what a tard.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago on my Bonneville by a dipshit officer that asked me why my bike didn't have running lights on it. I told him neither of my bikes have them, and he said, "Well you're supposed to have them, and I know, because I ride a bike too." (a Harley)
He is comparing a cruiser to a sport bike? Definitely a dick..... Wow:eek:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hahah...thanks David. Just getting ready to respond when I saw your post... :)

I did this on my GT almost from day one as I do think it is safer at night. However I'm thinking recently of getting more rebelious and using smaller signals with no running lights. I simply did as mentioned above and found the smallest dual element sockets I could find, shaved them down even more, and retrofitted them to the stock signal housings. I tapped the wire for the small parking light in the headlight housing to power the lower wattage element for constant on running lights. Not sure why all bikes don't come stock this way. I have thought about doing the rears also, but haven't decided if I want red lenses back there.
Do they shut off when using the blinkers? I would agree that the lights would be more safe to have on at night, but not when using the blinkers. I would want my runners/blinkers to switch to an on-off-on state when blinking as it would be more noticeable.

I just played possum and he let me go, but what a tard.
I think the definition of running lights is whats in question here. I consider running lights to be a dimmer light that is always on with the bike (tail, markers, whatever). Technically your taillight is a running light as long as its on and not at full brightness in standard use. Your just lucky he didn't pin you for a non-DOT light with the FLEDA (not finger pointing...I used the same LED array as PAKBIKES in mine).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do they shut off when using the blinkers? I would agree that the lights would be more safe to have on at night, but not when using the blinkers. I would want my runners/blinkers to switch to an on-off-on state when blinking as it would be more noticeable.

I think the definition of running lights is whats in question here. I consider running lights to be a dimmer light that is always on with the bike (tail, markers, whatever). Technically your taillight is a running light as long as its on and not at full brightness in standard use. Your just lucky he didn't pin you for a non-DOT light with the FLEDA (not finger pointing...I used the same LED array as PAKBIKES in mine).
I was on my Bonneville, which has a regular Lucas taillight on it. I am even more concerned about my Duc with the FLEDA on it, but I have a feeling these bonehead cops around here wouldn't be able to tell that it is not DOT-approved, because it is very bright at night; during the daytime, I'm not so sure. The cop however didn't care that I was running a set of Arrow 2 into 2 race pipes with no baffles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As long as they're there, it'd be nice if the front blinkers (or rear, for that matter) stayed on for extra visibility at night. Anyone tried to figure out how to do this?
Here in the Netherlands, there is a company called SafetyLights.
They offer all kind of safety features, including running lights.
Haven't tried them myself but it could be what you were looking for.
See http://safetylights.nl/index.php?p=motor&pp=headlights
(you might need a translator as all pages are in Dutch or perhaps you could drop them a mail)

P

·
0 Posts
You can do this with a couple of diodes and a resistor. The front and back turn signals share the same input for each side of the bike (right & left).

See attached diagram for the circuit. You could mount and wire up this circuit in the front and take power off the parking light bulb if it indeed is on when the bike is on. Otherwise you need to find another source of switched +12 VDC. If it would work with the parking light bulb then the running light function would be working while the key is in park. I don't recommend doing this for very long since the running lights, front parking light and tail light will bleed down the battery below the 80% level in about an hour.

A much more elegant way to accomplish this is to pry the reflectors off each lens assembly and install a 1.85" diameter circular 48 LED cluster from Radiantz Hardcore Lighting. These circular cluster have two levels of intensity. One for the turn signal function and one for the running light function. These have 3 wires. You will need order them with just the hardwires and no connector in amber which I believe is part # "Amber Hardwire 3208-28".

You will need 4 of these clusters. :rolleyes:

The Radiantz web site will not allow coping specific URLs to their pages so you will have to navigate from the home page to "Round LED Clusters" (on the left hand side.

I have never tried using 4 of these clusters on a Sport Classic so I am not sure if they will load the turn signals circuit enough to have it flash at the correct rate. If they flash at the faster rate you can add about 150 ohm 2 watt resistor to each side of the turn signal circuit to get the correct rate.

I have one set (2 turn signals assemblies) for sale on eBay if anyone is interested.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts