Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

I've got a Tuneboy QS setup on my 2013 MTS1200. It had been working flawlessly for quite a while but has started to play up. It sporadically cuts power for moment at ~ 4000 RPM. It's essentially like the bike is cutting power to upshift, but with no shift occurring. Definitely the QS, stopped as soon as I unplugged it. The power cut is not ideal in a straight line, and pretty horrific mid turn!

I've removed the QS from the bike to have a look at it, but I cannot see anything visible which looks like the culprit - wiring nicks, visible damage etc. I stuck a multimeter on the connections at the plug end to get some resistance readings in the hopes that there might be someone on here with the same shifter who could possibly unplug theirs (should be easy whilst still on the bike) and get some comparative readings for me to help troubleshoot?... The plug has numbers printed on the back which correspond to the wires, as shown in the photo attached. The readings I got with the multimeter were fairly stable, but some seemed incredibly high... Regardless they are as follows:

Pins 1/2: 2.6 k‎Ω
Pins 2/3: 3.5 M‎Ω
Pins 1/3: 3.5 M‎Ω

I have tried manipulating the wiring with the meter on in each position but I saw no appreciable change. I'm a bit stumped. Next step will be to hook up the laptop with the Tuneboy software to see if anything is visible from there, but if anyone is able to get some resistance measurements on their QS to see if they are anything like mine it'd be very much appreciated. Any other ideas would be equally appreciated!

Thanks for any assistance.

Tk

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Might have to take it out and reinstall the QS software .

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Ok, I tested mine. Me thinks yours is screwed.
Pin 1/2 2.75 ohms
Pin 2/3 No Continuity
Pin 1/3 No Continuity
I wiggled the wires nothing changed. I even reversed the lead on the meter (shouldn’t matter checking for ohms, but just in case).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I tested mine. Me thinks yours is screwed.
Pin 1/2 2.75 ohms
Pin 2/3 No Continuity
Pin 1/3 No Continuity
I wiggled the wires nothing changed. I even reversed the lead on the meter (shouldn’t matter checking for ohms, but just in case).
Thanks mate, appreciate the effort. That is interesting. More continuity is not what I expected... That was definitely 2.75 ohms that you read between pins 1/2 and not 2.75 k ohms?

Strangely enough I had to reverse the polarity of the wires to read anything on the other pins, I guess maybe the readings I was getting for those pins could be erroneous. I will have to mount it on the bike again and check it with the laptop plugged in.

Thanks again for taking the time.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
You are correct it was 2.75 k ohms on pin1/2. I went out and double checked the other pins in all ranges...they are open loop, no continuity. I also tried reversing polarity (should not matter measuring resistance). Even clicking the strain gauge up and down stays open loop.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The symptoms you are describing are exactly what a previous Ducati I owned w/ Tuneboy QS did, when the wiring was damaged. If the wire appears intact, you might consider stripping the casing off so you can inspect the individual wires underneath. If the QS itself has failed (it does happen, usually to the load cell, not the strain gauge) you might be screwed unless you can order a new one from TuneBoy, and they actually ship it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I can't find an obvious fault in the wire. I can see where I had it zip tied there is a bit of an indent, but it doesn't look too bad. I guess if I can't resolve it I could strip it in those areas, or cut those sections out totally. I might try and get in touch with Tuneboy - they are based in the same city as me so perhaps I could have some luck there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts