Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently considering putting clipons on my gt1000, either ones from a 2007 Biposto, rizoma, or speedymoto tall boys, my question is to the guys with clip ons; How's the riding position with the stock foot controls ? Does it feel weird without rearsets?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the 07 biposto clip ons. It's a lil different than the sport position. But not too bad. I got used to it real quick and don't notice it at all. It's just the same with any clip ons. U learn to hold your body with your core more than your wrists

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, if you don't mind where did you pick up your biposto clip ons?

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I have a set of 07 clip ons for my GT, you learn pretty quick core strength is key, my wrists bothered me at first, i finally figured out i needed to take the pressure off my wrists with my core, i have no issues now.

B

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
take into consideration the shorter GT tank. you don't think it makes a difference, hell i convinced myself it wouldn't. told myself time and time again that it didn't matter. but in the end to me it did. i think with clip-ons you should be laid out. not scrunched up. IMO. i rode my GT for 8 months like this. something had to change and i wasn't going back to handlebars so i bought a Paul smart. problem solved :)

foot position wasn't the greatest but livable. i just ended up riding mostly on the toes & balls of my feet.

haha good luck!! - FYI - i had the LSL tour match clip on kit installed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bought mine on eBay. From rubber side up. They aren't hard to find. Someone on this forum prob has a set lying around. I think the speedy motos are way better because of adjustability. Dutch is right though. The footpegs on a sport make clip ons a lil more comfortable. but it's not terrible and I think it makes the gt look a lot sportier. Although I just bought a 06 sport.

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
I'm sure others do too, but I have a set lying around... Let me know if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Buy a Sport

I've heard of this, I don't know why you would bother. Bars rock. I would put a carbon bar on upside down before I went to a clip on. They look O so cool, without a doubt, but they are for the track or from cafe to cafe. Try and live with them, second bike cool, why not.

BTW~ I saw a young dude at VIR with a set of Carbon bars on upside down, it looked sweet! They are flexible and bend! They suck up vibration and give much more torque to the front end. I love clip ons on the track, hate them on the street. If you want that cafe cool bike, go for it. I wouldn't waste my time on them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For giggles I put the ST2 clip ons, on and rode for 30 mins. For me, it was unbearable, too scrunched over at the waist. My wrists and core were burning. Took one good photo, then put the bars back on.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went thru this decision, and decided to try the two inch lower rizoma bar first, I've been very happy with the ride and look compared to stock. I have bike pics up if you search me. It does require more core use and that's good, actually seems more natural position for the bike.

I think the clip on rearset question depends to some extent on how tall you are. I'm not tall, 5'9" but decided I would likely want adjustable rearsets if I did Clipons. I mY try it one day.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was planning on doing the clip-on for thing for my GT but found I really like the M-bar look better. They give a really similar posture but maintain a more classic look in my opinion.

FWIW, the core strength Bill L referred to is absolutely true! Squeezing the tank with my legs to alleviate the pressure on the wrists was a quickly learned change to riding position. I took some time off riding the GT though and spent the bulk of my time on my R1200GS, which is so upright and relaxed that when I went back to the GT for a day ride here and there...I felt exhausted and out of shape!

Lesson learned, riding the GT was exercise and is considered good for me. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts