Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Pic is clickable

I noticed this in the walk around video of the person i am most likely going to buy from but am nervous about this oil spot. I'm thinking either valve cover, head gasket, or breather are most likely culprits. Any ideas?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can't really tell from the pic

is it sweating oil? or is it running down and pooling? or is it getting pushed out with crank case pressure?

best would be to clean it all off.. and then see where and how fast it starts reappearing from

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
best guess based on the pic is exhaust rocker cover o-ring.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
or is it getting pushed out with crank case pressure?
This would be my guess.

Both my 748 and ST2 have oil that leaks from the crankcase breather and it pools in the fins on the rear of the case and gradually works its way to the left side of the engine, rolls down the side, and will sometimes accummulate in the pocket on top of the clutch slave. I probably should replace the breather on both bikes.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't know if you're actually playing the game or needing some help. If it's the later, here is how to find out:

1. Clean your bike, and engine from grease and oil (use Engine Shine from AutoZone)
2. Once you rinse it off with water, spray some baby powder, so it sticks to the engine
3. Now go ride it for a few minutes, and you can trace the oil leak in the powder

EDIT: nm, looks like it's not your bike. I would blame the gaskets from the pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts